Gibson Brands Forums

The sit back and enjoy it thread

jaxson50

Firstly I have to apologize for my very limited computer skills.There is a great live version of "Phoenix" by Wishbone Ash,filmed at the Marquee Club in 1985 on Youtube.Being a Luddite as far as computers go,I don't know how to post the numbers for the selection but if you are a fan of Powell,Turner and company it would be worth your while.Even if you never heard or heard of them I would be worth your while just to hear their flawless double lead harmonies.

is it this one :) (oh and its simple.. Just post the full address of the Youtube video into your post :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWMfCpWqO-4

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...

This first piece has some of the musical philosophy and humor of a great rodeo rider, picker and all-around nice guy who left us too soon from a particularly nasty version of cancer.

You might question the "cowboyness" of the piece, or of Chris, but... consider that it's all metaphor. The "whinin'" piece reminds me of the Cowboy Saloon here in town. Or the Branding Iron steakhouse and saloon.

Another of his super pieces in terms of metaphor from "cowboy" to anything else comes in "Cowboy up." Listen to the line "From business suits to cowboy boots, it hurts when you get thrown; if you're gonna be the best, well, you've gotta get back on..."

Nothing more true written. I hope where ever Chris might be now, he's back in shape to chute out for an eight second ride and an evening of pickin' and grinnin'.

m

Archived