Gibson Brands Forums

Question for you Marshall guys..

daveinspain

There is a used Marshall JCM 900 for sale in the city I live in. I don't know anything about Marshalls other than it's a classic iconic amp. The add says it's a High gain, dual reverb 4100 model 100watts. Has FX loop, independent reverb both channels, power attenuator for small rooms and uses 3 ECC83 and 4 8551. Says it cost around $2000 new in 1998.

Anyone familiar with this amp and knows what it is worth?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The JCM 900 HGDR goes for $500. to $700 over here.

It's a good amp, but not the most desirable of the Marshall lineup.

A few simple mods can turn it into a fire breather.

Now if it was an SL-X? I'd say jump on it NOW!

($2000. ???? msp_lol.gif

My YJM didn't cost near that much! blink.gif

Hi Dave,

I can only advise you to be careful, I have had one in the late 90's, and I have had all possible issues with it, the store change it 3 times, a new one each time (loud buzz, even without the guitar plugged in), after one month more or less, same issue for all!

Let me just add that the amp stayed in the rehearsal room all the time. The funny thing was that the other guitar player of the band has one too, and his one was unbreakable, it even fell down from a truck while loading before a concert.

So be careful, the sound is Marshall, so you will like it ot not, but built quality, you can have the worst as well as the best.

Hopes it help :)

What R9 said, keep in mind you have to tote it around. I'm head over heals in love with a little red Marshall but it's only 5 watt's so its not suited for larger room's but for bar gig's this Class 5 combo I got is a monster. It also has no FX and I have to use a pre-amp to get nasty sounds out of it but the total cost of it and a couple stomp boxes is still less than $600, brand-new! [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

Dave, I have a JCM2000 tsl 60 head and 1960a cab for sale if you're interested. It's 2003, when they were still UK built and is mint. Shipping to Spain would be fairly pricey but I am looking for a lot less money for it.

Dave, why do you want a high gain amp? I've seen those pics of your band and you guys seem like anything but high gain.

Pictures are deceiving but you are right I don't need a 100 watt Marshall just yet.... The world tour is still just in the planning stage... [rolleyes]

Dave, I had a few Marshalls.

The 900 series might not be the "best" Marshall, but it's still a Marshall. It's a whole different ball game than dealing with small amps or "club" amps, regardless of how you tweak it or set it up. You have to learn a whole new set of rules.

If you are inclined, it might be worth getting just because it IS a Marshall. I mean, even if you don't gig with it, just having one and getting into it might be worth it. I never gigged with mine, not once. But to be honest, had I not had them, I wouldn't even know what LOUD meant or where that Marshall sound comes from. There IS something about cranking the power section that makes something no pedal can even come close to.

In addition to that cranked out Marshall deal (again, a sound of it's own), the clean Marshall sound has qualities and even takes to pedals well. Still a beast, but that available POWER has it's own thing. And of corse, there is a certain tone and sound to deal with, for better or worse.

Said all that to say, and try and paint a picture, that having a Marshall (as in, an actual real Marshell), it might change everything. It certainly will require a different mindset and skill than, lets say, an "appropriate" club amp that fits in the bandstand soundscape. I might describe it as learning to drive a large truck as oppose to a bike.

Dave...

All kidding aside, I think the "old man" commend has a degree of validity beyond humor for two reasons:

1. My 120-watt tube amp currently is a side table. It's on wheels, but roughly 90 pounds. I don't play anywhere that it would be needed - and frankly, even playing weekend saloon gigs through the 70s I never could crank it anyway. Dumping my nice old DR to trade on the big machine was IMHO an error for weight. I think the two 12-inch speakers sounded better for "clean," but... not enough for virtually doubling the weight.

2. The older I get, the more convinced I've become that a workmanlike band can have each player spending quadrillions of dollars, pounds or Euros on amps - but never improving the overall balanced sound of the band as a unit. To get the latter takes a PA and mixer that can vary for different small to mid size venues and even if necessary, plug into a monster system for a major outdoor venue. Meanwhile... the smaller stuff is easier on the back and properly arranged for battle, just as effective.

m

The HGDRs have diode-clipping (much like the Silver Jubilee and the JCM 800 models with channel switching). That can be a turn-off for some people, but not for me. It doesn't matter. Most guys with Marshalls like that will put a Tube Screamer or an SD-1 in front of it anyway (ala Zakk Wylde). They can be thin, but as Axe said, preamp mods will fix it. Axe is our Marshall guy as far as I'm concerned.

My favorite 900 model is the SL-X as used by Ace Frehley and other people. As far as Marshalls go, I prefer modded DSLs and older single channel 800s and JMPs. But 900s are great too.

Archived