Gibson Brands Forums

New sound out of my LP (new for me anyway)

Silverbursted

I am probably really stupid, but I have always played my LP with both volume and tone set to 10 for both neck and bridge, and playing on either bridge or neck pup and using my amp to change tone. After reading on one of these threads on how you guys play I decided to try something different (for me anyway). I put the switch to the middle position and set the neck volume down to 2 or 3 with the tone about 5. This is giving me 3 distinct sounds when I move the toggle and really love the fuller sounds. I know you experienced guys take it for granted that LP owners know what they are doing, but that is not always the case.

I just wanted to say thanks.

From what I've read...Eric Clapton's "woman tone" comes from the neck pup with the tone rolled almost all the way off.

Yes, in his autobiography he says that he turns "up" the bass, but we all know what he means. Not that I haven't tried to cop that tone myself...

Congrats, Silver... you've finally discovered the secret to easy tone switches. Being the purist that I am, I always leave my amp on the same setting... haven't touched the controls for probably 6 months. I just keep the volumes/tones at 10 for Zep/ACDC distortion on middle position, switch to rhythm for Stones and Hendrix, and drop the volumes and tones to aboug 7-8 in middle or rhythm for SRV. You can get so many sounds just by fiddling with your guitar, and it's much easier than fiddling with the amp.

I've never really played with the tone controls much either, they always seemed like if I played around with them, it was always to the extreme, I wouldn't hear any difference unless it was turned all the way up or down. I just installed some Vitamin Q caps in my BFG and Melody Maker, it seems like some tone was hiding in those ceramic caps that were in there. What a difference.

Being the purist that I am' date=' I [b']always[/b] leave my amp on the same setting... haven't touched the controls for probably 6 months.

Same for me, but slightly rewritten:

Being the lazy bastard that I am, I always leave my amp on the same setting... haven't touched the controls for probably 6 months.

(Also because I know that if I start screwing with the amp, even in different rooms, I'm going to run into trouble and be screwing with it for the entire night.)

+1.

I also leave my amp on the same settings. One exception: I had to dial in more treble and mids when the tubes got older...with this little eq-change in the mids and trebles it's perfect again (no need for new tubes or something like).

I love to play with the guitars volume knob...I can't think of playing without it. A volume pedal 'sucks' to my opinion.

Archived