Gibson Brands Forums

L-00TV

CAMELEYE

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I located one of the elusive L-00TVs and received it today. Thanks to Matt, Sean and Ron at Grapevine GuitarWorks in Texas. Last one they had, apparently. I'll comment longer later after a string change and a good setup, but basically ...it's pretty sweet! Love the extra dark 'burst, wider neck and while the adi top gives it a little more pop and snap, there's also something more in the mids too, something subtle. All this from only several hours play. I've owned Blues Kings in the past (both hog and bubinga) and I think this version is a very good addition to the line. Hope it goes into regular production. More later, Ce.

Well, I located one of the elusive L-00TVs and received it today. Thanks to Matt, Sean and Ron at Grapevine GuitarWorks in Texas. Last one they had, apparently. I'll comment longer later after a string change and a good setup, but basically ...it's pretty sweet! Love the extra dark 'burst, wider neck and while the adi top gives it a little more pop and snap, there's also something more in the mids too, something subtle. All this from only several hours play. I've owned Blues Kings in the past (both hog and bubinga) and I think this version is a very good addition to the line. Hope it goes into regular production. More later, Ce.

CE ,

congrats enjoy . I'm sure it's spectacular

JC

Which is better than being Keith Harris, you'd be stuck with an Orville if that'd been the case.

just had a vision of a case with a lime green interior

(this will mean nothing to american members but feel free to google keith harris and orville, who come to think of it are more entertaining than keith urban )

Hope this question is appropriate here: Can someone please explain the difference between TV, Luthier's Choice and Legend? Signed, Bewildered

Is this the "Luther's Choice" L00? It will have Ren's signiture on the inside lable if so. These have a wonder reputation since, as you say, Ren actually participated in the make up and building of this L00 and a couple of other models. Nice catch.

Hope this question is appropriate here: Can someone please explain the difference between TV, Luthier's Choice and Legend? Signed, Bewildered

Check out the Gibson site for information on the Legend

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Small-Body/Gibson-Acoustic/1937-L-00-Legend.aspx

See post #9 of this thread for some information on the TV. Generally they are special order instruments and not available as part of the general Gibson catalog. To the best of my knowledge, they were only made in 2012.

Luthier's Choice was a special run of several iconic Gibsons, the L00 being one of several which included a Luthers Choice L-1 and a J-35 (I think). The construction was supervised and signed by Ren Ferguson. Rumor has it that Ren actually had some hands on involvement in the building, perhaps the hand shaping of the braces. The two LC's that I played were wonderful warm instruments. This was fairly recently but I don't remember the exact year(s).

Generally speaking, I think the following is correct:

Legends (J-45 and L-OO) are detailed reproductions (clones) of specific instruments, as much like the original as practical due to materials availability, etc.

TV's are vintage-style recreations using a combination of vintage features that may or may not have ever existed together in any specific vintage period. As an example, the J-45 TV has a belly-up bridge, banner logo, 20-fret board, teardrop pickguard, and v-neck. No vintage J-45 ever had this combination of features, but in combination, they yield a guitar with a very vintage look and feel.

Luthier's choice guitars are the master luthier's modern interpretation of vintage instruments, and may be built with more exotic woods than the original, and with some details or features that might never have been found in vintage versions of the same instrument. They are generally seen as higher-end instruments, but not necessarily more historically-accurate than a TV.

Someone here should correct the above if it is not an accurate characterization.

And by the way, some of the language on the Gibson website describing both the L-OO and J-45 Legends is just dead wrong, but that's typical of the website. It sometimes appears that no one at Gibson cares about the accuracy of the info they present on Gibson.com. That's not a slam: it's just a fact.

Generally speaking, I think the following is correct:

Legends (J-45 and L-OO) are detailed reproductions (clones) of specific instruments, as much like the original as practical due to materials availability, etc.

And by the way, some of the language on the Gibson website describing both the L-OO and J-45 Legends is just dead wrong, but that's typical of the website. It sometimes appears that no one at Gibson cares about the accuracy of the info they present on Gibson.com. That's not a slam: it's just a fact.

On the Gibson site, it says the L-00 Legend has a Black Graphtech nut.

Does your Legend, Nick?

I doubt they had invented the Graphtech material in 1938.......

BluesKing777.

On the Gibson site, it says the L-00 Legend has a Black Graphtech nut.

Does your Legend, Nick?

I doubt they had invented the Graphtech material in 1938.......

BluesKing777.

Yes, it does, and no, they didn't. It is on my list to change. Mine also has a gold script logo instead of white.

Yes, it does, and no, they didn't. It is on my list to change. Mine also has a gold script logo instead of white.

I wasn't having a sling - I have the Graphtech nut on my J45 Standard and like it - I have intended to change it for bone, but....haven't.

I just thought a Graphtech nut was a very strange choice for a Legend - I would love to know the Gibson thinking in that choice! (And for the same thinking for the nut on my J45 - I was in a feeding frenzy when I bought it and really didn't notice the black nut until later....)

BluesKing777.

Anyone know what was hideglued in my L-00TV? Thought it might be the neck joint and the top braces.

Just completed its first set up with some work on the nut and a slight neck tweak. Plays real good now. Still breaking in though.

Will eventually remove the slick, coated strings and try a set of nickels too. More anon, Ce.

Anyone know what was hideglued in my L-00TV? Thought it might be the neck joint and the top braces.

Just completed its first set up with some work on the nut and a slight neck tweak. Plays real good now. Still breaking in though.

Will eventually remove the slick, coated strings and try a set of nickels too. More anon, Ce.

PM modoc333. Keith will know on this particular model. All Gibson acoustic neck joints are hide-glued, to the best of my knowledge.

Archived