Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about buying my first ES series

fenderchiq

So, there are a couple at my local GC for $2000

There is a 339 and a 355, both are $2000.

A couple things, is this a good price? They are new.

The 355 is absolutely stunning, but the finish of the body is Matte/satin and the top is glossy, which I do not like, I thought it was weird. What model is this?

They also have a 355 that is glossy finish all around but it is $1,000 more. What is the difference here?

I love that single-coil glassy strat tone, does that mean I should lean towards the P90?

Welcome to the forums...!!

It shows great taste and intelligence to be considering an ES series guitar... [thumbup]

Check that you mean 355 rather than 335(more likely)

The part matt finishes are OK in my book and are usually well priced

ES's can disappoint some musicians used to Fender Strat/Tele brightness, including moi...

The ES 330 is well regarded for P90 tones...

The other beauty to consider is the ES 137...very competitively priced and drool-worthy to look at... [biggrin]

Extensive road test at stage volume recommended...

V

:-({|=

PS Those prices quoted are good... :-({|=

Now I'm confused, what exactly is the difference between the 335 and the 355 and why would I not mean the 355?

Okay, I think I understand now, the 355 is a variation of the 335 (which is the one that exists today) that was discontinued in the 80s.

Would I be correct?

The ones I saw at GC were probably 335s if that is the case.

Guest EastEnder

Never saw a 355 with matte finish anywhere on the body (I have a few, including a 2011, the most recent year of production). Matter of fact, I've never seen a 335 with matte finish and glossy top. The satin 335 model is "matte" all over and usually runs in the low-$2000 range. The 355 is designed for tuxedo-wearers. The 335 for Friday casual. Or pajamas.

I'm sure the 339 is a fine guitar, but after a lifetime of ES-3x5 ownership, the small body just looks and feels weird. My opinion only - which I freely admit can often be worthless.

Matter of fact, I've never seen a 335 with matte finish and glossy top.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, which is why I didn't buy.

Shame because that guitar was beautiful otherwise, both in setup and playability. Though the neck was sort of slim, do they make thicker necks?

Around what price should I expect to be paying for an ES-335 ? Is it possible to get a new with glossy all around for around 2k ?

Guest EastEnder

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, which is why I didn't buy.

Shame because that guitar was beautiful otherwise, both in setup and playability. Though the neck was sort of slim, do they make thicker necks?

Around what price should I expect to be paying for an ES-335 ? Is it possible to get a new with glossy all around for around 2k ?

New ES-335 models run between 2700 to 3200 (approx) depending on finish. Necks are slim taper (slim being the operative word). Thicker necks are available on some of the custom shop models, though the "fat neck" '59 reissue is built for Rachmaninov's hands.

The ES-355 has the slim taper but is a bit beefier the further you go up the neck. It also has soft shoulders, rather than a rounded shape. Perfect in-between neck profile for my taste.

Below is an example 355. Take the price with a grain of salt. A great, flexible dealer with whom I've done some expensive business. No association beyond being a customer. In my opinion, all Guitar Center guitars are "used". If that doesn't bother you, you can deal for a "used" price, but these days GC has become less than flexible. They're also quite IQ-free.

http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-memphis/es-355-stop-bar-2/

Yes, there was a GC exclusive 335, which was glossy on top with satin sides, back and neck. This model came in dark brown and faded cherry, and had P90 pickups. It started at $2600, but I have seen it discouted to $2000 here and there. So it's kind of an odd duck.

I bought the dark brown version, and I've been very happy with it. Of course it has the quality, balance, and feel of a 335, and the P90s work well with it. A bargain at the original price, a steal at $2000.

I've also tried the 339 (and the glitzy 359), and these have small bodies and a very different feel. For me, they are not so comfortable. YMMV.

Yes, there was a GC exclusive 335, which was glossy on top with satin sides, back and neck. This model came in dark brown and faded cherry, and had P90 pickups. It started at $2600, but I have seen it discouted to $2000 here and there. So it's kind of an odd duck.

I see, that must be what the $2000 335 I see is. (the guy did say it was a limited time deal only)

I'd buy it right now but that dang satin finish is the deal breaker....

But $1000 more is a lot. ugh

I see it now, its called a Trad Pro ES335 w/ Tapped P-90s Cherry.

" Inspired by the players’ favorite Les Paul Traditional Pro, the ES-335 Pro similarly features a gloss finished top with satin back and sides that let the semi-hollow body resonate freely, maximizing the benefits of this acoustically vibrant design."

I wonder if I would be happy with that finish....

When I got mine, the top glossy finish was a bit cloudy, probably from so much handling at GC. I took off the hardware, got 3 grades of rubbing compound for auto finishes and a buffer for my drill, and refurbished the finish so it looks great. And really, who can see the back when you're playing? I'd probably prefer all glossy, but it's not really critical. For me, the chocolate brown and P90s made the sale. I would not have bought the cherry, and I have other guitars with classic 57 pickups.

Do not hesitate, go back & seriously play that 335 with the P90s, and forget about the satin finish issue. Stand the 339 right up next to it and plug in. These two guitars are going to be vastly different in their character. Go by tone & feel rather than bling.

Yes indeed, the 335 you've described is a special and exclusive run to Guitar Center, and it has typically been carrying a $2600+ price tag (for a few weeks it was listed at $1999 on sale). I purchased a red one, which I find stunningly attractive when paired with the ebony fretboard and black P90s. I also own a vintage red 339, which is a wonderful instrument, but if I had to keep one or the other, it would be the 335, no questions asked. Sure, this is personal preference stuff, but P90s win the day in my book.

Along with the gloss top and satin back & sides, this exclusive 335 model also has the ebony neck as mentioned (there may have been some made with rosewood, but the difference will be obvious), long tenon neck, tapped pots, and locking Grover tuners w chrome tulip buttons. The neck is a slim '60s profile, while the 339 will sport a larger neck with either a '50s or 30/60 profile.

Both of these guitars exude a similar high level of build quality, yet carry a unique feature set.

It's your choice, but if you reject the 335 based primarily on the satin finish, a critical look at your criteria might be in order.

So, there are a couple at my local GC for $2000

There is a 339 and a 355, both are $2000.

A couple things, is this a good price? They are new.

The 355 is absolutely stunning, but the finish of the body is Matte/satin and the top is glossy, which I do not like, I thought it was weird. What model is this?

They also have a 355 that is glossy finish all around but it is $1,000 more. What is the difference here?

I love that single-coil glassy strat tone, does that mean I should lean towards the P90?

There are nice, used 335 Dots on ebay for under $2000. You can probably find a really good one for $1800-$1900. As far as the glassy Strat tone you like, you need a Strat for that. The neck pick up on 335 is very different, in a good way. It does give you the opportunity to get Clapton's woman tone though.

Now I'm confused, what exactly is the difference between the 335 and the 355 and why would I not mean the 355?

Okay, I think I understand now, the 355 is a variation of the 335 (which is the one that exists today) that was discontinued in the 80s.

Would I be correct?

The ones I saw at GC were probably 335s if that is the case.

Both guitars are basically the same seize. The biggest difference between the 2 is price the 335 has a rose wood finger board and less appointments while the 355 has an ebony finger board and is deck out like a less paul custom. I have both 335 and 355 and a Howard Roberts fusion III I'm selling my 335 incase your interested

Might be interested, pics?

The Trad Pro (with the satin side and back) went back to regular price today ~2699

But the guy said that he would hold the price at 2000 only for me until the new year... agh so tempting...

The only thing stopping me is that I already have an incredible guitar, american deluxe stratocaster in an ash body.

Might be interested, pics?

The Trad Pro (with the satin side and back) went back to regular price today ~2699

But the guy said that he would hold the price at 2000 only for me until the new year... agh so tempting...

The only thing stopping me is that I already have an incredible guitar, american deluxe stratocaster in an ash body.

Go on, you know you want it!

Ian.

one more thing, what is this "long telon" thing I keep seeing on the internet? I've never even seen that term used before

The tenon joint is the point at which the wood from the neck is joined and glued into the body.

A long tenon is desirable for overall structural stability, and is also thought to impact tonal qualities.

I am a big fan of ES type guitars and own a 335, 339, and two Midtown P90s. I love playing all of them, but if I had gun held to my head and was forced to choose just one, it would probably be the 339. The 339 and 335 sound very similar, with the 335 maybe a little darker sounding. With the 335 and a slightly overdriven clean amp, you can easily nail Larry Carlton's tone, like on this video,

, if that is your goal. The 339 is pretty close, but a real joy to hold an play because of the smaller body. Having said that, the Midtown P90 is a extremely versatile and while not having humbucker tone, can get pretty crunchy, has nice bell like SC tones, and is also really comfortable to since it is thin and slightly smaller than the 335.

Anyway, IMO, when you drop 2 grand + on an axe, you should absolutely be in love with it. Gibson builds a bunch of them every day, so it's worth taking the time finding the right one. All of mine were purchased new, except for my cherry 339, which I found on ebay for ~ $1700 with shipping. It was 2 years old, lightly played, and had graphite saddles installed. I saw another with less than 6 hours played for $1800 shipped. So, you can definitely find a great used ES.

Good luck.

I agree about the sound differences between the 339 and 335. I owned a Gibson Sonex for most of my life, which is the same size as a Les Paul. When I tried the 335 it just felt too big for my body (I'm 5'8"). The 339 felt very comfortable and I loved its sound, even though it's slightly different than the 335. Can't go wrong with either IMHO.

Both are great guitars IMO. I would say that it depends upon what you're more comfortable with body size-wise, with regards to playability. You can get both to sound pretty similar to each other (with the '335 maybe sounding a tad darker, due to its body size). For me (having owned "other brand" 335-type guitars in the past), it would be a 335 (due to a love of larger bodied, f-hole guitars - they seem to really suit my "hang the guitar up high like a jazzer, rest your elbow on the body, and pick from the wrist" playing style), but that's just me. Your playing style may be more suited to the '339.

I have played the 335 with P90s at Guitar Center and really liked it. The center block keeps it from feeding back as easily as my ES330, and the pickups sounded great. The coil tap made them more like old or under wound pickups. You have to know going that P90s are noisier Than hum buckers, but IMHO are more interesting.The 339 is a fine axe, too. There is a great player in the Boston area named Joey Vellucci who swears by his 339. He uses it for, blues, and jazz and sounds great. My son has a 333 in matte cherry that has been played hard and often for 11 or so years and the finish is holding up just fine. A little polish ad it looks like lacquer, btw.You really can't go wrong with either. Good luck!

Archived