Gibson Brands Forums

is this a figured or plain top?

jc1funk

My eyes tell me this is a figured top, but the shop I bought it at had it priced exactly the same as a plain top so I assumed it was a plain top with a little variation in the wood...

I wasn't too concerned with finish, just sound and feel when deciding on which guitar to buy, so maybe I got lucky? What is it? plain or figured?

post-51650-027525000 1356049259_thumb.jpg

Clearly, that's a figured top. Maybe there's some other reason they priced it the way they did.

Maybe because it's a 2010 build and it was still on the shelf in November this year??

But good to know now. Thanks for your input and confirming my suspicion.

• 1 month later...

When the ES 359 figured top first came out it was cheaper than a non-figured top. I had prices from various sites posted here. It was just one of those weird things. Maybe something similar happened here. My 339 is a figured top. The back is figured too.

es339fc.jpg

es339b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My eyes tell me this is a figured top, but the shop I bought it at had it priced exactly the same as a plain top so I assumed it was a plain top with a little variation in the wood...

I wasn't too concerned with finish, just sound and feel when deciding on which guitar to buy, so maybe I got lucky? What is it? plain or figured?

Thats a nice top. Some of the 335s are subtile when it comes to figured bodies , but I know the plain tops that I have seen have no figuring in whatsoever. The model number on the plains have a P in it , where the figured dont. I just picked up a figured 335 that was tagged and priced the same as a satin model.Even got me to take another 15 percent off.

I'm always stunned by the beauty of that guitar, Rocketman.....

[thumbup]

It is lovely, isn't it?

The sort of guitar I call a "pants down" guitar as you wouldn't want to play it with a belt buckle on.

Archived