Gibson Brands Forums

How do you know you are getting old

Rabs

Milod - I guess the pace of change was slower in U.K. where I am; I must have learnt to drive about...'71? and my 1st or 2nd car was a Morris Traveller (Olde English spelling!) - wooden frame, 998cc, still had the keyhole and crank handle though I don't think I ever used it. Damp, draughty, slow, uncomfortable but it usually got me there.

I didn't even see a colour TV until about '66 or '67.

And I confess my knowledge of bikes is very limited and I'm sure many classic models still have the kickdown.

Regards!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm....

My late 50s big Healey didn't have a crank I was aware of - although the side curtains and functional lack of a heater in my climate made it a bit uncivilized in my '60s ownership of one. But it was great fun when the temps were above 60F or so. Not so much fun at 0 to -30 c and yet below that, although it did start rather well regardless...

It was rather chilly to drive in winter, but worked very nicely on glare ice, not at all in much snow.

m

I went to a bowling alley and they still had punch cards. I pointed...it was surprising.

When I was 13 a little girl wanted to cal her mommy, I was in the school office about to call my mom.

The little girl was handed the phone, she must have been about 8. She stared at the phone and her eyes got red and soon she started crying. I asked what was wrong and she said, "I don't know how to use that." It was a rotary phone. Guess at her house all phones were button phones. I felt old and I was only 13!

@ milod

I bet in some little towns a certain degree of old costumes may still rule over law. I sort of like that.

Regarding the pool hall for teens. I know in San Antonio, in one of the really bad areas of the inner city, they made a teen pool hall to keep the teens out of trouble. Well lit, guarded by one or two adults...open decent hours, I like the idea of having something like that for them. Not all teens want to play baskketball, but they could use with less TV and less videogames. Social interaction is DEAD.

While I'm on the subject:

On here we interact, but when I walk into an elevator, sure enough everyone will look down at their phone. This goes for classes in classrooms and work and everything. People don't have casual conversations, which may just be a polite way to handle awkwardness, but can also be enlightening. Damn it I'm getting pissed now...this may mean I'm getting old. [lol]

Izzy...

"People don't have casual conversations, which may just be a polite way to handle awkwardness, but can also be enlightening. Damn it I'm getting pissed now...this may mean I'm getting old."

<grin> Mostly getting older beats the alternative. Not always, but mostly.

I hate to admit this, but "the law" has kinda forced us away from the ease of the "dens of iniquity" that I'd hang out in when I was a kid, like the stale-beer smelling pool hall or another "worse" place that had lots of technically illegal gambling and "we kids" would go to smoke cigarettes and drink coke or coffee with the "old guys."

One of my favorite "old guy" friends was a cop. Technically the tobacco was illegal even then. Nowadays he'd have to arrest me. And current law makes a mary jane or meth arrest less of a penalty burden than a tobacco cigarette or can of beer.

<sigh>

But... in those days the world didn't try to make us all vanilla-flavored. We drug school kids so they don't need other "discipline." We don't interact, we text and tweet. Folks wear jeans to funerals. Etc., etc. Unfortunately that's how society now operates - then we wonder why kids rebel far more violently than 50 years ago and why there's so much more depression.

And you think you're getting old? <grin>

m

Regarding the pool hall for teens. I know in San Antonio, in one of the really bad areas of the inner city, they made a teen pool hall to keep the teens out of trouble. Well lit, guarded by one or two adults...open decent hours, I like the idea of having something like that for them. Not all teens want to play baskketball, but they could use with less TV and less videogames. Social interaction is DEAD.

How come this reminds me of Robert Preston in The Music Man?

Trouble, oh we got trouble,

Right here in River City!

With a capital "T"

That rhymes with "P"

And that stands for Pool

Duane...

My wife got a new knee a month ago... to go with two new hips a cupla years ago. Cold hasn't been as much of a problem as just the general arthritis and changing weather... but then, it hasn't hit -20 here yet either.

I'm just in horrid shape compared to even 20 years ago... at 60 I could still kick the top of a doorway. Not now.

Again the old saying: "Too soon oldt, too late schmardt."

m

Archived