Gibson Brands Forums

Swapped out the tuners on my Smeck

jannusguy2

Good move. I'm not crazy about gold hardware as well. The nickel with ivoroid buttons are nice.

Now after looking at it closer it appears you left the gold tuners but just replaced the buttons with white ?

Speaking for myself I would have bought Waverly's with ivoroid buttons and sold the gold tuners.

And why oh why did Gibson use the modern logo as opposed to the script logo that would have been original to the Smeck ?

Good move. I'm not crazy about gold hardware as well. The nickel with ivoroid buttons are nice.

Now after looking at it closer it appears you left the gold tuners but just replaced the buttons with white ?

Speaking for myself I would have bought Waverly's with ivoroid buttons and sold the gold tuners.

And why oh why did Gibson use the modern logo as opposed to the script logo that would have been original to the Smeck ?

The entire tuners were swapped. But, yes the hardware is still gold with the ivoroid buttons. There was no way to just swap the button portion of the tuner. The new tuners are the tuners that are used on the J. Browne signature series. This guitar was a prototype for that series as opposed to being an actual reissue of a Smeck. So, it's a bit of a Heinz 57 especially since it has rosewood back/sides vs the walnut they finally decided on.

Archived