Gibson Brands Forums

Ways to get better balance with an SG?

ExpatGirl

Hi Guys,

I purchased my first Epiphone over the weekend. It's a SG Faded G 400. I bought it because, well, because of Duane Allman and Derek Trucks. I started playing slide a wee while ago and just wasn't happy with the sound and feel of Strat-style double cutaway guitars. I tried out the SG at my local shop. I fell in love with its tone and the ease with which I could get to the upper frets.

After playing the guitar at home over a few days, I love the tone I can get with the SG even more. It just sounds absolutely awesome through an overdriven Blackstar valve amp. I've barely scratched the surface with what I do with with getting gorgeous tones out of my SG.

The problem is with the balance. I can't for the life of me figure out why the strap button is placed at the base of the neck. So do any of you more experienced SG players have any tips? I thought of getting a tech to love the strap button to the upper horn but the guys at my local shop recommended against this. They said it might crack the thin wood on the upper horn. I apologise if this is a question that's asked over and again and I just didn't find the answer. Thanks in advance.

strapbuttons_zpsfec1f543.jpg.......Kidding!!!

ExpatGirl,

Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned, the most common solution is a 3" wide padded strap. the padding gives additional grip.

If you do have Grovers, changing the tuners to something lighter might help. I think it would be minimal.

An SG is simply a top heavy guitar. (nature of the beast)

Also, the holes for the Grovers are 10mm. You would have to take that into consideration.

Best of luck,

Willy

The most popular answer is a wide leather strap with a sueded underside.

+1. It's a strap issue. I have a few Epi SG's and yes, with my nylon straps they 'neck dive' when I take both hands off the guitar, which is something some players complain about. But as long as you have one hand on the guitar, it's fine. That begs the question: what are you needing to do with both hands while a guitar is strapped on you? If it takes two hands, you really should put the guitar down. Even if a guitar doesn't neck dive, there's a good chance of it banging into something if you don't have any hands on it. Odds are anything you're doing with both hands, can be done easier without a big piece of wood and metal around your neck. Whether it's an SG, or one that doesn't neck dive (like a Les Paul), if I'm doing something that takes two hands, I set the guitar down. I rarely get dings in my guitars.

Welcome to the Forum. The wide strap fix seems to be the most popular fix. I use a 2" suede one on my G-400 and the rough (relatively speaking) surface grips well. There are the 3" wide "Manassas" straps, popularized by Stephen Stills, for his Firebird. Something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fort-Bryan-Suede-3-Adjustable-Guitar-Strap-Toast-/370742197422?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5651f4fcae

Stay away from smooth leather, fabric or nylon straps and you should be fine. Keep us posted on how things turn out, and pictures of new guitars is kind of a tradition around here, so.....

Here's your Forum warming present. +1

I like the way you think, Parabar. Although the bolt-neck SG juniors dont have a neck-dive issue, mine certainly did after I put on a set of Gibson Deluxe tuners. Boy, those things are heavy. I counter balanced it with a Schaller 456 fine-tuning bridge. B)

Though I'm in agreement about using a wide leather strap, I also believe that the Grovers are most likely what causes the G-400 to be top heavy in the first place. My '61 SG Special P90 came with the much lighter Wilkinson Deluxe tuners and only has a wraparound bridge. No top-heaviness on this guitar at all. Keep in mind that the '61 SG Special is built on a G-400 body.

Try a folk guitar strap. These use the strap button at the tail but not the button at the neck joint. Instead they attach to the peghead, usually right at the nut. There are various attachment styles so you'll have to look over a few to find something you like. I have a velcro mount on mine. You also want a strap with some friction to keep it from sliding across your back and shoulder. I have a nappy leather strap. The wider the better.

Good Luck.

Hi Guys,

I found a good solution for my neck-heavy SG problem. My local guitar shop had this Planet Waves quick release thingie and gave it to me. This works pretty well so I'd recommend it if you can find one of these things.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=190&productname=Acoustic_Quick_Release_System

Thanks for all the suggestions and the warm welcome to the forum. :)

Did someone say MAESTRO? I have several guitars with trems and this is by far my favorite! I have a 2" leather strap with suede backing and it grips fine, never a neck dive. I did replace the tuners with Grover Green Keystones, but just for aesthetics. The original Grovers didn't cause any neck diving with the leather strap. I also threw a set of Gibson Burtsbuckers in it, with new push/pull and braided shielded wiring, CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and switch, and Dunlop strap locks. I absolutely love it now. Here she is:

G-400net1.jpg

Archived