Gibson Brands Forums

New Slash SL-5 Combo amp

Rabs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see... 5W tube amp made in China. Typically a $200 to $300 amp tops. Add a Celestion V30 and Slash's name to market it. Yup, that's worth $400 to $500 more. Oh, forgot this has digital reverb. That has to be worth $5 to $10.

I'm sorry, Marshall and Slash sold out on this one in my opinon, just as Marshall has with their new DSL series. And really, most Crate amps out there sound this good with a V30 plugged into the speaker jack and a decent player in front of it. Seriously.

Not on my list.

I don't want to be a buzzkill but, if I were to drop that kind of money for that amp I would get a DSL-15. If I had triple the cash to spend I would consider the Blackstar Artisan 15.

That's no buzzkill, you simply want a different amp, a 15-watter is a different ball game the DSL does half power at 7.5 watts but it does not do the 1-watt mode.

The DSL-15 is $600, that's only $100 less that the Slash combo and does not come with a Vintage 30.

You know, it does not cost a lot less to make a 5-watt amp.

Over the years the gear that I have bought becasue it was "more bang for the buck" has not worked out for me.

A few months ago I bought a Marshall JCM1 head, for $600 I might add, and to me it has been the best value for the money because I play it all the time, I can get cranked tube tone without waking up my wife and baby on the other side of the house.

Alternative answer: I could also drop $600 in hookers and blow, that'd be fun.

I sort of didn't like the sound but I think it has more to do with the video than the amp.

I have a 3/5 watt tube amp that I adore, but it has no effects...doesn't it seem sacriligeous to add effects to a tube amp or does overdrive not count as an effect?

All mine has is bass middle treble and master volume...would overdrive mean I could distort the sound withotu having to play loud?

As for Slash...I may be a noob at guitar for the next ten years but the guy hardly sounds like an amateur to mine ears. Sure, there will always be better, but the fact that we have to compare him to proffesionals is enough to say he is AMONG them. There may be weekend warriors who aren't famous and are awesomer at playing, but I've not heard them.

Slash made some of rocks most beloved solos and just for that I'd flash him at a show...were I a blond bimbo. [thumbup]

Over-drive is what you get when you turn the one "volume knob" on that little tube amp of yours up high. It's a natural brake-up of an tube/analog type amp. I got a Class 5 Marshall amp thats 5 watt's it has just volume, treble, middle and bass knob's, I use a Jackhammer stomp-box that has both distortion and over-drive setting's. I use the distortion part of it when I'm at low(er) volume but when I crank up the volume on the amp above 6 or so it starts to sound like crap with the Jackhammer on so I switch it off and rely on the amps natural brake-up for dirt.

Archived