Gibson Brands Forums

New Slash SL-5 Combo amp

Rabs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pedals just seem so...unatural. I have a distortion pedal, is it not the same thing as the ears go? Never used the OD pedal so I wonder...

Distortion pedals aren't for everyone. Some can sound too trebly, some too dark. Making a big generalization here, but most don't clean up very well; they produce distortion at any volume level. Overdrive pedals are different...they're generally lower-gain, and are used to "push" a clean or slightly driven amp into overdrive, or boost an already overdriven sound for leads or higher-gain stuff.

If you don't like Distortion pedals, try an overdrive pedal. I personally don't like my MXR Distortion 3 in all situations, but it works when I need a heavier sound. An affordable gateway to OD pedals is the good old Boss SD-1. Under $50 at most stores.

Another thing to note: Some of your favorite overdriven guitar sounds probably used an OD pedal at least partly.

-Ryan

A couple of things: The amp sounds pretty good!

It has a modern sound to it

I feel the price is a bit steep

I'm surprized that it is only 5 watts with an EL34 power tube

I prefer the sweet 6V6 tone from the new DSL15 over this amp plus it is $100 less and, more versitle

I bet alot of kids will buy it and, it might become a classic, unless they have a limited run of them

You do realize it's a wig I take it?

I'm fairly sure it's even attached to the hat.

I thought the same thing, until I watched the BB King Live at the Royal Albert Hall 2011 DVD, where Slash takes the hat off and puts it on BB’s head, that’s the first time I’ve seen him without the hat.

The amp sounds rather nice to me, but here in the U.K there asking nearly £600 for it when you can get a Blackstar HT5 for about half the price, and £600 would go along way towards a very good Fender amp. It strikes me that Marshall are asking a lot of money lately for there small valve amps.

Regards,

Ian.

Distortion pedals aren't for everyone. Some can sound too trebly, some too dark. Making a big generalization here, but most don't clean up very well; they produce distortion at any volume level. Overdrive pedals are different...they're generally lower-gain, and are used to "push" a clean or slightly driven amp into overdrive, or boost an already overdriven sound for leads or higher-gain stuff.

If you don't like Distortion pedals, try an overdrive pedal. I personally don't like my MXR Distortion 3 in all situations, but it works when I need a heavier sound. An affordable gateway to OD pedals is the good old Boss SD-1. Under $50 at most stores.

Another thing to note: Some of your favorite overdriven guitar sounds probably used an OD pedal at least partly.

-Ryan

I would have thought that Izzy would most likely go for a Big Muff :P lol :)

I thought the same thing, until I watched the BB King Live at the Royal Albert Hall 2011 DVD, where Slash takes the hat off and puts it on BB’s head, that’s the first time I’ve seen him without the hat.

Ian.

Yup.. I was there and recorded it myself :)

The amp sounds rather nice to me, but here in the U.K there asking nearly £600 for it when you can get a Blackstar HT5 for about half the price, and £600 would go along way towards a very good Fender amp. It strikes me that Marshall are asking a lot of money lately for there small valve amps.

Regards,

Ian.

Off topic - but is that a Morgan in your avatar and is it real? Or just a photo you copied?

Dare I add....BB king's not a great player either. He's got a great voice. But I do wonder how he got famous as a guitar player (perhaps it's just his guitar, not him). He's a very simple player and there are bucket loads of black blues players better than him.

Plus, I never said Slash is amateur. I said compared to Vai etc he is. Which is true.

I find a lot in guitar circles how image is accepted as a standard for players. If you're pretty and 'hunky' you're a great player. I asked before...where are the fat famous players? Apart from Leslie West and Warren Haynes, there really aren't any. So, before I get slagged off again. Is image more important than playing these days?

.....and why is Neal Schon turning into Michael Jackson?

But if there is only one volume then you don't have a pre-amp so only way to distort is to turn way up and then you risk damage to the speaker.

Just because there is no gain control doesn't mean there is no preamp, it's just not adjustable, it's fixed. The SL-5 clean channel has a preamp, just no gain control only volume, it's voiced off the JVM2's green channel. The SL-5 OD channel has the gain control and is voiced off the ADF JCM and has an extra preamp tube. All the Vids I've seen have the gain and vol at 10. It would be nice to hear some demoes with different gain setting, maybe when Chris George does an offical Marshall demo we'll see.

I have a great little VHT combo Special 6 Ultra has a varible watt control to take you down .5 watt, plus a Pentode/Triode switch, a 12" speaker, clean channel with boost, gain channel with boost, several tone shaping controls, tube buffered effect loop, ply wood cab, hand wired in china, comes with a 6V6 but you can change to EL34, 6l6, KT88, ect and with there adapter EL84/El844, best of all it sounds great, gets many different sounds and is 1/2 the price of the Sl-5 and that is my main gripe with the Marshall it costs too much for a made in China with partical board cab and it's not hand wired and no effects loop.

Dare I add....BB king's not a great player either. He's got a great voice. But I do wonder how he got famous as a guitar player (perhaps it's just his guitar, not him). He's a very simple player and there are bucket loads of black blues players better than him.

Plus, I never said Slash is amateur. I said compared to Vai etc he is. Which is true.

I find a lot in guitar circles how image is accepted as a standard for players. If you're pretty and 'hunky' you're a great player. I asked before...where are the fat famous players? Apart from Leslie West and Warren Haynes, there really aren't any. So, before I get slagged off again. Is image more important than playing these days?

.....and why is Neal Schon turning into Michael Jackson?

Feel and expression. You recognize him from one note. His vibrato. He makes beautiful music. He inspired tons of baby-boomer players (Bloomfield, anyone?). Vai would give you a swift kick in the *** for saying such a thing.

Same with Slash. Andy Timmons can't rock like Slash. It's not about how fast you can play or how much theory you know or how accurate and articulate you are: it's about feel, melody, and expression. Which is why Jimmy Page makes beautiful music and Angus Young and Ace Frehley can out-rock Steve Lukather. That being said, I'm not taking anything away from those guys that you laud. They're virtuosos.

There's a lot of fat players....B.B., Freddie King, Albert King, Shawn Lane, Popa Chubby, et all.

Image is a part of rock music, not so much in other forms. Slash looks cool. Ace looks cool, Joe Perry looks cool. But that doesn't mean that they have to be good-looking people (Ace is one ugly alien...Not to mention Vinnie Vincent "The Great Pink Transvestite Shredder" as I like to call him. Not that he went anywhere. The VV Invasion was just silly).

Leslie West may be fat, but he looked damn cool, and his morbid obesity was part of his aura (like body figure, like tone!). Hunks? Maybe in Bon Jovi....or Loverboy...or Aldo Nova ....

Neal must be trying to take the place of the pretty-boy that was once filled by Steve Perry. He looks ******* ridiculous, like Paul Stanley nowadays. The ultimate in Joan Rivers plastic surgery fakeness.

• 3 weeks later...

Marshall Slash SL-5 - WORLD EXCLUSIVE

Chappers/Andertons just uploaded a new video.

If you do not want to watch the full length review, they have a shorter 5 minute one too.

Wow.. ive never seen an amp before that has different inputs for Single Coil or Humbuckers... pretty darn cool..

I REALLY like this amp.. shame I have no money :unsure:

I am getting one of these.

My Rivera has a high and low input as well. It is not so much one input for HBs and one for single coils. If you use one then you have more headroom and can get cleaner tones at higher volume levels. The other starts to break up sooner.

Archived