Gibson Brands Forums

New Slash SL-5 Combo amp

Rabs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the Premier Guitar NAMM one the other day, but did not see the Andertons one yet.

I spent Friday and Saturday watching a ton of NAMM coverage on YouTube.

I like that amp, may have to look more into it once it ships.

Here is Rebecca Dirks covering the same amp.

I fully agree with Diamond Jig,I'm tired of companies making great new gear and then tacking on a considerable upcharge so that they can pay an already rich celebrity his endorsement royalties.I would love to have one of these new Marshalls but I'm no Slash fan so the celebrity endorsement wouldn't mean diddly to me,even if he personally signed each one himself.I wish that they'd issue companion models that didn't have the celebrity logos on them,so that those who just wanted a good amp could do so without getting fleeced.

Companies usually dictate what gear is available, then a player becomes influential enough to be on the driver seat and dictate what features he wants on a piece of gear and we complain.

I am not Slash fanboy but he is a hell of a guitar player and this amp looks really appealing if the price is indeed $699.

I think that's what I paid for my Marshall JCM1 head with no endorsements attached to it.

I run my Blackstar HT5 into a Hughes and Kettner 4x12. It sounds as good as that, if not better.

Marketing? Hype? It's surprising what a top hat and curly hair can do. Slash isn't a great player at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WnJ1UrCtE

The solo in this is awful. The song's great, but the solo! I do wonder how he'd manage without Miles now. Now Miles Kennedy is talented (and a much better player than Slash). I like some of his stuff (Slither, Ghost.) But he's not what he's made out to be. Put him against Neal Scon, Lukather, Timmons etc and he's an amateur.

I run my Blackstar HT5 into a Hughes and Kettner 4x12. It sounds as good as that, if not better.

Marketing? Hype? It's surprising what a top hat and curly hair can do. Slash isn't a great player at all.

The solo in this is awful. The song's great, but the solo! I do wonder how he'd manage without Miles now. Now Miles Kennedy is talented (and a much better player than Slash). I like some of his stuff (Slither, Ghost.) But he's not what he's made out to be. Put him against Neal Scon, Lukather, Timmons etc and he's an amateur.

Wouldn't a Blackstar HT5 into a Hughes and Kettner 4x12 be more expensive than this amp? Would it be an appales to apples comparison? why not plug this AFD through a 4x12? you have not heard this amp live yet anyway how do you know?

Slash is a good player with a good sense of melody and chops to back him up, not everything he does is gold that's for sure and he needs a steady singer but an amateur? that tells me you are emotional about the subject.

Plus this thread is about the Marshall amp not whether you like Slash or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WnJ1UrCtE

You must be trolling or something. I'm sure Slash could play circles around you and many of the other guitarists on this forum. He does it professionally for a reason. If he couldn't play than he wouldn't have a record deal. msp_rolleyes.gif

Even though I wrote in a previous post that I wasn't a Slash fan,that boils down more to his music itself than his playing.I think that he's a very good guitarist but I was never into the music of GNR,mostly due to Axel Rose's vocals, but their music still never cut it with me.When others wrote in saying that he was basically a hack at playing guitar,I had to defend his playing even if I'm not his number 1 fan by a long shot.For the type of music that he plays,he plays it quite well.

I think the features of this amp are great including its voicing.

This is the type of combo amp I need.

12" V30 speaker, gain control, two channels, footswitch, 3-knob eq, reverb, prescence and 1w/5w options.

Love the slanted face plate too, ideal for reaching those knobs easier.

I was looking to buy a 1x12 cab with a V30 and this amp could double as a cab since it has a speaker plug.

Sold! I am going to make room for it already.

Seems like a nice amp - big sound, in a small package and not too hefty a price tag. The thing I could not tell from the videos was if you could adjust the gain when switching over to the gain channel? I watched maybe 3 different demos and the fellow playing started with the clean side which was clean enough - then hit the button for the gain and it was always the same tone in all the vids. I have that Celestion 12" in my Rivera and it kicks a**. The 1 amp feature is good for practicing at home as well and this might make a great practice amp. Loud enough, but smaller and lighter to haul around than your full size gigging amp. I will definitely try one when they come out.

I sort of didn't like the sound but I think it has more to do with the video than the amp.

I have a 3/5 watt tube amp that I adore, but it has no effects...doesn't it seem sacriligeous to add effects to a tube amp or does overdrive not count as an effect?

All mine has is bass middle treble and master volume...would overdrive mean I could distort the sound withotu having to play loud?

As for Slash...I may be a noob at guitar for the next ten years but the guy hardly sounds like an amateur to mine ears. Sure, there will always be better, but the fact that we have to compare him to proffesionals is enough to say he is AMONG them. There may be weekend warriors who aren't famous and are awesomer at playing, but I've not heard them.

Slash made some of rocks most beloved solos and just for that I'd flash him at a show...were I a blond bimbo. [thumbup]

I sort of didn't like the sound but I think it has more to do with the video than the amp.

I have a 3/5 watt tube amp that I adore, but it has no effects...doesn't it seem sacriligeous to add effects to a tube amp or does overdrive not count as an effect?

All mine has is bass middle treble and master volume...would overdrive mean I could distort the sound withotu having to play loud?

As for Slash...I may be a noob at guitar for the next ten years but the guy hardly sounds like an amateur to mine ears. Sure, there will always be better, but the fact that we have to compare him to proffesionals is enough to say he is AMONG them. There may be weekend warriors who aren't famous and are awesomer at playing, but I've not heard them.

Slash made some of rocks most beloved solos and just for that I'd flash him at a show...were I a blond bimbo. [thumbup]

Overdrive isn't really an effect like a chorus pedal or delay or flanger. You boost the volume or gain on the preamp which distorts the sound, then adjust the master volume for the actual overall volume of the amp. Depending on how much distortion you want many times the preamp is up close to 10, but the master only 2 or so. There are outboard pedals that simulate overdrive digitally - but it's not the same to me. If your 3/5 watt amp has a volume and a master volume you should be able to get great distortion at low volume. But if there is only one volume then you don't have a pre-amp so only way to distort is to turn way up and then you risk damage to the speaker.

If your 3/5 watt amp has a volume and a master volume you should be able to get great distortion at low volume. But if there is only one volume then you don't have a pre-amp so only way to distort is to turn way up and then you risk damage to the speaker.

Thanks man. I do have a single master volume, so if I wanna distort I gotta crank it. Oh well.

Archived