Gibson Brands Forums

1993 Studio - Not a looker, but, a real player...Pics Added

jaygl

Hey all, I'm a regular in the SG forums but am now the owner of a 1993 Les Paul Studio. It's a wine red with gold hardware. The previous owner had put a huge sticker on the guitar which covered the entire top and was put on with some crazy adhesive. Many hours and a bottle of goo be gone later she looks presentable, but, will never be a beauty queen, lots of scratches from the guy running a blade arround the sticker to cut it.....Anyway, I bought her for a song, $300 Canadian with a case. My question is: I have seen some other 1993 models and they have the "green key" style of tuners, while this one has sealed "mini" style tuners that say Gibson on the back. They look original....no extra holes anywhere. Anyone know if this was the "delux" model of studio from that time, or an option maybe? She's a real player with a nice grunty tone. I just need to get some speed knobs on her and I'll post some pics. Serial number is 92653408 . Cheers.

Here's what she looked like with the big sticker on.....IMG_0132.jpg

And after.....then the tuners....Guy I bought it from said the original owner had bought it new and told him it was in the 1980's....doesn't make sense with the serial on it....

IMG_0140.jpgIMG_0142.jpg

If you have any residue left use some lemon oil, I had a sticker on one of my Les Pauls and it removed every trace of it!

Yes these tuners sound like this one:

IMG_7557.JPG

Nice LP....those are the flip out tuners....cool,no flip out's on mine...

These tuners with flip-out winders are from the Norlin-era, they do not belong on this Studio, nor the ones on it seem stock. This wine-red Studio should have the golden "metal-tulips" (as my former '92 used to have). Cheers... Bence

Further research came up with this from another site....... "Early 90's Studios had gold tuners...here is my beat 91 (on the right... she is an awesome guitar) and my 93 in the middle. The 93 came from the factory with Grovers. The 91 has the Gibson stamped "tulip" tuners."

Apparently there were a few different tuners that the early 90's studios could come with, and some did have the "gibson stamped tulip tuners".

Here's what she looked like with the big sticker on.....IMG_0132.jpg

And after.....then the tuners....Guy I bought it from said the original owner had bought it new and told him it was in the 1980's....doesn't make sense with the serial on it....

IMG_0140.jpgIMG_0142.jpg

what is that? copper shielding tape?

is someone that sticks tape on a paul the same person that likes bumper stickers on their car? hahahaha

i wouldn't ever stick anything on the finish (at least not an lp). i stuck stickers to my dresser when i was seven and regretted it ever since. my mom told me not to but i did it anyway!

This is a GOOD year for Studios. They are pretty much identical to Standards except the obvious, and Ebony fingerboards was pretty common.

I remember those tuners. They are made by Gotoh, and used by a lot of other brands as well. Even though they are extremely good, they were used as a cheaper tuner and considered cheaper because they were Japanese imports, so they show up on a lot of 'cheaper' guitars. But they really are quite good.

This is a GOOD year for Studios. They are pretty much identical to Standards except the obvious, and Ebony fingerboards was pretty common.

Definitely! My '92 black Studio had ebony 'board, and nice gold hardware. It was extremely heavy. I miss it so much...I was stupid to sell it.

Cheers... Bence

Use nampha lighter fluid; typically found in Ronson's or Zippo's lighter fluid.

I don't think I'd use lemon oil on the Nitro body, just my fret board.

+1.

Even tough, lemon oil has solvents in it, but it's a lemon-scented mineral oil for sealing ebony/rosewood fretboards. I would go with a deep cleaner, like Gibson's or Virtuoso.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the lighter fluid tip, I'll give that a try. In the meantime, I might end up playing the grime off her....lol. I can't put it down. Plays and sounds as nice as any other LP I've played, even my old 1990's Custom.

great score on a nice guitar !!

if it sounds & plays right....looks really don't matter.

before you wet it down with petro-products, you might want to try a applying a little love to it with some ultra fine 0000 grade steel-wool AFTER masking off your p'ups (magnets).

Thanks for the lighter fluid tip, I'll give that a try. In the meantime, I might end up playing the grime off her....lol. I can't put it down. Plays and sounds as nice as any other LP I've played, even my old 1990's Custom.

oh you know what works wonders for 'gum' from tape is WD 40, but I don't like to think of putting anything other than polish on a guitar finish!

I duct tape plastic to a window that is drafty in the winter and it leaves gum outline on the wall paint. WD40 takes the gum off without harming the paint!

Yeah, it was like a metallic type of tape....real pain to get off. I'll be putting the lemon oil to her next string change to get the last of the residue.

WD40!!! removes tape gum without harming paint!!!

you know that lubricant stuff, WD40?

WD40!!! removes tape gum without harming paint!!!

you know that lubricant stuff, WD40?

I ended up using lighter fluid. It took all the tape gum off, but, the sticker itself F'd up the nitro finish in many spots. It's got that typical cloudy wine red finish thing going. Again, not the type of girl you wanna take home to mom, but man she's fun to hang out with on the down low.....lol. For $300 bucks you can't go wrong.

Archived