Gibson Brands Forums

ProGuitarShop Riff of the Day - Neil Young "Cinnamon Girl"

CoreyT

PS, I am new to alternate tunings, as I have not tried them with my guitar except for using the drop tuning with my Whammy pedal.

I had not heard of a double drop D tuning before, so I guess you just drop the two E strings down a whole step to D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_drop_D_tuning

Andy makes it look so easy playing it, but it will take me awhile to get it.

"Cinnamon Girl" is a fun song to play! We used to play it in a band I was in years ago. Andy's a good player, but he has one habit that gets on my nerves (well, actually it's more of a quibble) - I wish he would quit tapping his leg to keep time. When I played brass instruments in symphonic band (from 6th grade through my 2nd year of college) and the college jazz band, it was a big no-no to tap your foot to keep time (and when I was in the 6th and 7th grade brass bands, the band teacher would chew us out for doing so). Why? It was considered un-professional to do so.

Like I said - just a minor peeve of mine.

YMMV,

Ellen

• 2 weeks later...

Any has done a lot more nice instructional vids, but I have not posted them.

I was driving into work this morning heard Zep's Rock & Roll on Ozzies Boneyard on Sirius, and when I got to work I see Andy has a lesson on the song he put up yesterday, perfect timing :D

Led Zeppelin Rock and Roll Guitar Lesson

• 4 weeks later...

Too cool, Andy is doing a very easy song that I started to play last year.

Sounds very good when using my Whammy pedal to play the original note and an extra one octave lower note at the same time.

The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army Guitar Lesson

• 2 weeks later...

Andy has released a few vids since I last posted to this thread, but I just got the email alert they uploaded Creams White Room.

I can play Sunshine Of Your Love pretty good, but still working on this one.

I dig his playing.

Not an SG like Eric used, but a Les Paul.

• 1 month later...

i have not posted some for the past month, but here are two good ones.

One from a few months back that I am learning now, and the Thin Lizzy one that was just uploaded today.

I started learning the Alice Copper one yesterday after searching YouTube for a "how to", and I was glad to see Andy's at the top of the list.

Alice Cooper - No More Mr. Nice Guy Guitar Lesson

Thin Lizzy -The Boys Are Back In Town Guitar Lesson

PS, I am new to alternate tunings, as I have not tried them with my guitar except for using the drop tuning with my Whammy pedal.

I had not heard of a double drop D tuning before, so I guess you just drop the two E strings down a whole step to D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_drop_D_tuning

Andy makes it look so easy playing it, but it will take me awhile to get it.

Double drop D is something I have been experimenting with at home recently. Neil Young uses this tuning a lot, especially on some of the tastier Le Noise tracks. You can get some interestingly droning chords with it. Hope you find this tuning as fun as I do.

Double drop D is something I have been experimenting with at home recently. Neil Young uses this tuning a lot, especially on some of the tastier Le Noise tracks. You can get some interestingly droning chords with it. Hope you find this tuning as fun as I do.

I started reading this thread, thought it really ironic. Just came from my Chiropractor's office 1/2 hour earlier, he also plays. We inevitably talk guitars/music for a few minutes every time I go, and he brought up Double Drop D tuning having recently seen a video on how it was used by Jimmy Page in the song Kashmir.

It's a tuning I've never worked with (have used a few others though, all have their great points and to some degree limitations- though the "limitations" were no doubt actually my own, lacking the knowledge to do more with them). I'd like to give it a try. And why not, that's one of the reasons I have so many guitars, so that I can leave the odd few tuned differently and be able to just grab and play one.

Looking forward to checking out more of the YouTube vids in this series (and this thread), I was unaware of the "Riff Of The Day". Andy is great, it was his demo of the Gretsch 5420 that instantly had me sold on getting one (played a bit of "I'm Your Pet Rock" by the Reverend Horton Heat).

But for now, I'm about to lose my connection [crying] . Computer has been overheating and shutting down pretty much any time I play videos of late, and it's getting worse. Going in to the Geek Squad tomorrow for up to a week/10 days...

Oh, one note for Ellen, I tap my foot also, always have. Many of us do, to me it's just another way of expressing/being one with the music being played (or listened to). I understand your history, but you're free of that now. Unprofessional? Maybe in certain settings. But AFAIK, not in R&R, Blues, Jazz or other current popular music genres. Free the feet! [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

Not by Andy at Pro Guitar Shop, but this was in my subs this morning.

This guy does great lessons too.

How to play All My Life by Foo Fighters

PS, just found out Andy from PGS has one out too from earlier in the year.

Andy does a great job explaining the song...

Yes, he does. But he doesn't explain who Neil wrote Cinnamon Girl about. Word has it that it was Jean Ray, who he apparently hooked up with for a time. Or had a fling with. Whatever. In the one whirlwind tour I went on as a keyboardist, Jean came along as one of the backup singers. This was a Halloween tour with Bobby 'Boris' Pickett in the early 70s. (Backup lyrics: "Tennis shoe wah-ooh.) What a crazy tour! All in one motor home. The Merry Pranksters. Her younger brother guitarist Brian Ray was also on the tour. The four band members stayed together for a while after the tour and played a couple parties and did some recording. We played a little benefit for Phil Kaufman who had some legal problems for stealing Gram Parson's body and taking it out to Joshua Tree and "cremating" it, according to the pact he and Gram had made after the funeral of Clarence White. Some guy noticed Brian Ray at that benefit, and next thing you know, Brian was playing with Etta James, where he was lead guitarist and musical director for at least 10 years. Then when McCartney did the Superbowl, he needed somebody who could play bass and guitar. Brian got the gig, and Paul kept him on for I don't know how many tours. Cinnamon Girl Jean never made it quite so big, and come to find out, she died some years ago. A great lady, hoping she rests in peace.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived