Gibson Brands Forums

late 60s early 70s Marshall super pa 100.

LT ED

I hope by 'restored' you don't mean recovered or anything like that.

I am not really a Marshall "expert", but my understanding is that amp IS or can be made to be identical to the standard guitar (Lead) version. It just has more channells and an extra 12AX7 for the extra 2 channells.

The difference would be the voicing, which amounts to different cap or resister values in the pre-amp. Very minor. But I don't know if there is any difference.

One thing for sure- that's a turret board. I think '76 is the cut-off for that.

Not that it matters too much, but does it say "JTM" or "JMP"?

What are your plans for this awesome beast anyway?

If it were me, (and don't trust me, like I said, I ain't a Marshall "expert"), if it were me, the most intriguing thing would be that there is an "extra" tube and knobs to work with. So perhaps "master" on the front panel, or an extra gain stage?

To be honest stein if its restored I will take it direct to Marshall and ask them to do the whole thing,top to bottom. I have two and im not realy plannig on getting rid of them.I will only do one of them as the cost will interesting [scared] but if they will do it it will be worth every penny to me.They will stay in the family so Im not to bothered about the value. If I can get restored back to new condition that will be great and the other will stay totally as it is.I think it will then be a stunning amp to own.

With regard to your vintage Marshall,if I were you,I'd be very careful as to what I changed or altered in the amp.If you ever go to sell it you could conceivably make pretty good money on it but a serious amp collector wouldn't give it a second look if the vinyl wasn't original and/or there were extensive mods done to the guts of it.Vintage amps go the way of vintage guitars in that way as anything but the absolutely necessary maintenance is frowned upon and greatly diminishes the value of the amp in the eyes of a collector.If you have a problem with some frequencies not being as pronounced as others,the best option would be to invest in a good EQ. rather than compromise the future resale value of the amp.Cheers.

BTW: A lot of these PA amps were relegated to guitar amp duties in the 70s and 80s when they had been given up being used for PA amps because they pumped out such high Wattage,they made perfect guitar amps for that era of loud"Hair" bands.

Id say that being as you have 2 your idea of keeping 1 of them "as is" would be a good path. If they are both in the same state of the one in these pictures then I don't see any super value as a vintage collector's piece. So do a complete nut and bolt restoration on the one in the worst shape and keep both in a good storage place, 50/50 humidity and keep them clean.

I don't know.

Marshalls, I BELIEVE, are not really all that much on the 'collecters' market compared to old Fender amps. Even though those "in the know" realize what this particular amp is and how good it is, it wouldn't be all that much compared to the more expensive "collectable" Marshalls.

On the one hand though, re-covering the amp or doing "irreversable" mods might diminish the value as much as buying a whole new Marshall of similar capabilities.

Last I knew, these in average to beat condition went for about 1 grand or less. That was a while ago. A vertical input JCM 800 was going for slightly more than a new JCM 2000 or whatever (roughly 1200 bucks or so).

I am thinking these amps would be expected to PERFORM the same as a late JTM, or a pre-master volume 100 watt JMP. I have no idea what they are actually selling for at this point.

Thats all well and good and is duly noted but as the two cost the grand total of £0 [sneaky] I don,t think I can loose do you.There only going to be pretty things to look at and chat about at the end of the day.As I said Marshall did suggest that they should be insured for £4000 each in there current state.I dont intend to sell them so value wise Im not realy bothered. [thumbup]

Archived