Gibson Brands Forums

one of my all time favorite bands

jannusguy2

I think Los Lobos are one of the greats. I've done many shows with these guys and they never cease to amaze me. I'm on the horns of a dilemma in that they are coming into town on the same night I have Bruce Cockburn (another great guitar player/singer) and I can't be in 2 places at once. Quite the conundrum. Anyway, here's a nice live version of a great song. Great band. Go see them if you have the chance.

I would venture to say that recording La Bamba was the biggest disservice they ever did themselves. I understand at some level why they did it but it is so unrepresentative of what they do. They are excellent writers and stellar players. I'd not be going out on a limb saying that David Hildago and Cesar Rosas are two of the best guitar players working today. One of my favorite things to do when working with them was to hang around sound check and listen to Rosas tweak his stuff. Put a Tele in that guy's hands and stand back. Listen to Kiko or Colossal Head. Great rock records with a latin undercurrents.

Los Lobos I think are a very honest humble working band who know where there from with their feet firmly on the ground and their ears closely listening to the real world around them. They communicate their songs with vigour, compassion and professionalism of the utmost talented amplitude. These guys can do it all- rock, roll, folk, trad,jazz and all the inbetweens- they are that good. They just don't hype it up, the music speaks for itself - tru pro's. I believe someone on this forum owns a j45 that once belonged to David H. Still waiting to hear that story of how he got it!

@jannusguy - tell'em to come over to IRE, they will have a great time. Tell them to speak to Al Escovedo about paddy's green shores..

Los Lobos I think are a very honest humble working band .. I believe someone on this forum owns a j45 that once belonged to David H. Still waiting to hear that story of how he got it!

That'd be me ! Its a rather simple story, really, I bought it from Molly up at Willie's guitars, sight unseen. Seems they do a fair amount of business with Mr. Hidalgo. This particular J45 had been stolen from his abode in Los Angeles, and recovered in the back of a pickup truck after an LA Freeway stop. The ride did not do the guitar any favors, and it suffered a giant crack in the side - the "passenger side" if that makes any sense. Somehow Nathan (Willie) agreed to take it into his shop, probably in trade of some sort, and he had the side crack repaired and cleated. I spoke to Molly about the guitar, knowing I'm a Martin guy, and she assured me that this one sounded unlike most of the other Gibson's I ever tried in the store (I travel to MN every summer, with one of the primary reasons to stop into Willie's Guitars). I agreed to buy it, she shipped it to me in February 2012. A month or so later, who should be happening to role through Aspen on tour? David Hidalgo and Los Lobos doing their acoustic show. Its a small town, and the Wheeler Opera House is a small venue. I stuck around after the show and got to talk with DH about this guitar - he was quite animated as he remarked to his band mates - Hey guys - this is the guy who has that J45 ! He was the one who gave me the story about it being stolen, you coud tell he was a bit upset by whatever occured. I have a note that came with the guitar "This here J45 is my guitar" David Hidalgo. He's a big guy. I told him I was a bit amazed that his huge mitts could even fit the J45 neck - he said "...thats what all the women tell me too, but they learn..." Its a fun guitar, with a bit of a fun story.

I would venture to say that recording La Bamba was the biggest disservice they ever did themselves.

Well put!

One of my favorite bands, too. These guys can do anything from blues to funk to latin-influenced, to traditional Mexican music. I see them whenever I can. My favorite show was circa 1990 just after they'd collaborated with John Lee Hooker on his "Healer" album. The band played scorching blues that night, after which they'd put down their electric instruments and pick up trad Mexican instruments like the bajo sexto and guitarron and play amazing stuff in a completely different genre. Then, they'd switch back to electric instruments and rock the place.

This was also just after they'd covered La Bamba for the Richie Valens bio-pic, La Bamba. Despite frequent audience requests for the tune, they refused to play it. At one point, Cesar Rosas said politely, "Look, we aren't going to play it, OK? We did it for the movie and we're done. That's not us. This is us," and then the band launched into some bad**s rock and roll.

That'd be me ! Its a rather simple story, really, I bought it from Molly up at Willie's guitars, sight unseen. Seems they do a fair amount of business with Mr. Hidalgo. This particular J45 had been stolen from his abode in Los Angeles, and recovered in the back of a pickup truck after an LA Freeway stop. The ride did not do the guitar any favors, and it suffered a giant crack in the side - the "passenger side" if that makes any sense. Somehow Nathan (Willie) agreed to take it into his shop, probably in trade of some sort, and he had the side crack repaired and cleated. I spoke to Molly about the guitar, knowing I'm a Martin guy, and she assured me that this one sounded unlike most of the other Gibson's I ever tried in the store (I travel to MN every summer, with one of the primary reasons to stop into Willie's Guitars). I agreed to buy it, she shipped it to me in February 2012. A month or so later, who should be happening to role through Aspen on tour? David Hidalgo and Los Lobos doing their acoustic show. Its a small town, and the Wheeler Opera House is a small venue. I stuck around after the show and got to talk with DH about this guitar - he was quite animated as he remarked to his band mates - Hey guys - this is the guy who has that J45 ! He was the one who gave me the story about it being stolen, you coud tell he was a bit upset by whatever occured. I have a note that came with the guitar "This here J45 is my guitar" David Hidalgo. He's a big guy. I told him I was a bit amazed that his huge mitts could even fit the J45 neck - he said "...thats what all the women tell me too, but they learn..." Its a fun guitar, with a bit of a fun story.

Very cool story! David is a big bear of a guy! But, he's a got musical grace to spare.

Caught The Lobos in a small auditorium at our college right after Light of the Moon came out (Saw Miz Emmy and BB there around that same time). I remember it as an uneven set (a throwaway run through of Wolf) but I think they maybe were still getting used to a national audience. Anyway, they had chops and soul to spare, and great songs.

Interesting story. Love the band as well. Still have "How will the wolf survive" from 1989 on vinyl .

Archived