Gibson Brands Forums

Do you live in an area prone to natural disasters?

heymisterk

All kidding aside, I think the older one gets, the less long-term change one sees in weather and natural disasters.

"It" happens.

I will admit I ain't seen ball lightning since sometime in the '70s.

Come to think of it, the '70s were the last killer flood around here. Rapid City in '72. More than 200 dead, largely in a flood plain that hadn't really been flooded in memory. As percentage of the small city's population at the time, it'd be more like 20,000 had it been an equivalent event in NYC.

The flood plain's now supposedly a green belt.

m

Yeah, I wonder how many people realize that there's a lake in northwest Tennessee brought on by the New Madrid quake that was powerful enough to ring bells in Boston.

m

I'm in Southern Illinois, I can see the Ohio River from my kitchen window.

The New Madrid Fault is VERY SERIOUS here. We've had several quakes and when the big one hits, Memphis is probably going down. If you study it, I'm just not sure where my house ends up. My 30 acres with a hunting cabin is about a mile North, I might be living there for awhile.....

I quite like watching documentaries about volcanoes and tsunamis etc. I've seen a couple here in the UK about potential big disasters that could happen in the US in the next several hundred/thousand years....

-Volcanic Canary island 'La Palma' next time it blows big will collapse in to the sea and cause a mega Tsunami that will wipe out the entire US Eastern seaboard

-Pacific 'ring of fire' will cause an big earth quake and subsequent Tsunami off the PNW coast. Apparently there's evidence of the last one in the soil layers there.

-Yellowstone set to wipe out 2/3 of USA next time it erupts and it's due to do so in geological time

Fourm members in N. America....how much general awareness of these potential events is in your neck of the woods?

I quite like watching documentaries about volcanoes and tsunamis etc. I've seen a couple here in the UK about potential big disasters that could happen in the US in the next several hundred/thousand years....

-Volcanic Canary island 'La Palma' next time it blows big will collapse in to the sea and cause a mega Tsunami that will wipe out the entire US Eastern seaboard

-Pacific 'ring of fire' will cause an big earth quake and subsequent Tsunami off the PNW coast. Apparently there's evidence of the last one in the soil layers there.

-Yellowstone set to wipe out 2/3 of USA next time it erupts and it's due to do so in geological time

Fourm members in N. America....how much general awareness of these potential events is in your neck of the woods?

Don't forget about the volcanos in Oregon.... if they blow, it'll kill millions.

But...the only thing worse than living an a tsunami/volcano/earthquake burdened US is living in Europe.

Well, I am a little surprised we don't seem to talk about or hear of the recent quake in Japan, which was a "ring of fire" thing. I mean waiting and expecting the big one is one thing, but there, that was in fact what we should call "the big one". VERY significant event.

Here in Portland, I am surrounded by volcanos, visibly. The big 3, St Helens, Hood, and Adams, are not in a major city, but still close enough to see, and they impose on the horizon and landscape. Occasionally, poeple still talk about what it was like when the ash fell from St Helens.

Also, there are a lot of smaller ones right here in the middle of the city. They look like bumps, little bumbs poking up, like sharp hills. They are all developed. I used to live on one, in fact. They are actually popular to build on, because as we get a LOT of rain ALL the time, the ground is extremey soft, but the little volcanos are hard and ideal for building on a hill for those types of homes, as they don't have as many erosion issues.

If anything, I wonder what might happen, and for the most part, kinda hope if it does, it might re-route a river so I could have fishing right on my property.

I don't know about all the smaller ones in the city, but I know the larger ones are said to be "alive"...all of them.

Don't forget about the volcanos in Oregon.... if they blow, it'll kill millions.

But...the only thing worse than living an a tsunami/volcano/earthquake burdened US is living in Europe.

I think as we seem in the St. Helens eruption, it didn't kill that many poeple, as most were/are out of the way.

There is one in Central Wash, a bit to the north (Adams?) that while a bit of a distance away from poeple, it was discovered through study of the land that there is a lot of poeple living on land that is actually lava run-off, and it's predicted that if it goes, the lava would go to the same place and take a lot of that out.

I am not sure about Hood. I wonder.

Well, I am a little surprised we don't seem to talk about or hear of the recent quake in Japan, which was a "ring of fire" thing. I mean waiting and expecting the big one is one thing, but there, that was in fact what we should call "the big one". VERY significant event.

Here in Portland, I am surrounded by volcanos, visibly. The big 3, St Helens, Hood, and Adams, are not in a major city, but still close enough to see, and they impose on the horizon and landscape. Occasionally, poeple still talk about what it was like when the ash fell from St Helens.

Also, there are a lot of smaller ones right here in the middle of the city. They look like bumps, little bumbs poking up, like sharp hills. They are all developed. I used to live on one, in fact. They are actually popular to build on, because as we get a LOT of rain ALL the time, the ground is extremey soft, but the little volcanos are hard and ideal for building on a hill for those types of homes, as they don't have as many erosion issues.

If anything, I wonder what might happen, and for the most part, kinda hope if it does, it might re-route a river so I could have fishing right on my property.

I don't know about all the smaller ones in the city, but I know the larger ones are said to be "alive"...all of them.

I actually drove through Portland, on my way (moving) to Seattle, in 1980. The ash was like a dark gray and black, smokey, snow storm! It was amazing! :o

CB

I'm in Southern Illinois, I can see the Ohio River from my kitchen window.

The New Madrid Fault is VERY SERIOUS here. We've had several quakes and when the big one hits, Memphis is probably going down. If you study it, I'm just not sure where my house ends up. My 30 acres with a hunting cabin is about a mile North, I might be living there for awhile.....

Y'all have another one that's not nearly as well known but has almost the same potential for damage. The Wabash fault zone is northeast of the New Madrid and has has a number of larger quakes. there is geological evidence of at least one in the 7.5 range in the last 20K years.

These things can happen anywhere really, no such thing as totally calm nature. But I get your question and we do get tornado's and sometimes a hurricane will pass through the outer-banks and/or the sound's that are only 100 miles or so from here. Coping is a matter of.... dang, the power went out, so I crank up the genie.

Archived