Gibson Brands Forums

strings on J45 Legend

aadvark

HI,

just wondering if others have a thought about what strings worked best on the J45 LEGEND in particular, mine is an early one, 2006. Any J45 really of course.

I keep coming back to Martin SP PB lights on this guitar. Its either those or Newtone mediums in PB (hard to get here in Australia).

I play this one mostly with a pick, sometimes fingerstyle and am after a strong clear but warm tone, hence PB. any thoughts?

regards, Neil.

borrowed image... For drooling...post-3184-064298900 1360669007_thumb.jpg

Not usually a popular recommendation but I like the growl you get from the Gibson master built strings. But, I don't have very acidic sweat so I can get s decent lifespan from them, they don't seem to work too well for those with acidic sweat.

I use either the MB Premium PB lights (12's), or the DR Sunbeam PB lights. They sound quite similar when new, although the DR's seem a bit brighter, and definitely seem to have a longer lifespan. I'm using these on all my Gibson flat tops now, including two slope J's (1948 J-45 and 1943 SJ re-issue). The two slopes are different from each other tonally--the J-45 sounds older and drier--but both respond well to the same strings.

I use Elixer pb .012's nano strings which are so far the best for me.. but Im looking for better.

So far I like coated strings cause they feel slippery....and they do drive the top of the guitar pretty well..much better than EXP D'Addarrios I used till then.

I think you may find them an upgrade.

But I dont like strings costing $15..and Im gonna try a selection of Round core strings all at once.

My preferred string on my J-45 Legend is the Pyramid phosphor bronze 11s. I used to use the 13s, but then tried the 11s and I think the guitar sounds more open with them. They sound great and tend to last a good while. I have tried the John Pearse phosphor bronze. I like the way they sounded new, but I felt other went dead way too fast.

Last time I tried to order the Pyramids, JustStrings.com was out of them, so I tried some D'Addario phosphor bronze strings I had laying around. So far, I like them, but they have not been on too long. We will see how long they last.

Archived