Real or fake? Gibson les paul standard 1953

Sulimov

Sorry for the quality. Photo not mine

by number:Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Plant, USA

May 23rd, 1953

Production Number: 234

I do not understand, it's possible ... maybe it really is a Gibson les paul standard 1953 with a few upgrades?

p.s. Sorry for my clumsy English

post-53536-045428200 1360752521_thumb.jpg

post-53536-035165000 1360752529_thumb.jpg

post-53536-091071600 1360752541_thumb.jpg

post-53536-046285300 1360752550_thumb.jpg

by number:Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Plant, USA

May 23rd, 1953

Production Number: 234

No. It doesn't say that on the guitardater website. It says 2003 which, of course, is correct for that serial number.

The guitar, on the other hand.............well; it just might be a fake.

[wink]

P.

So bummer. I have thought that I could buy a Epiphone les paul Standard and I can not save up nothing.

Can anyone help and give a poor student from Russia to the guitar.

In the Name of Friendship. (R286970675144)[crying]

Привет! Будь осторожнее! С такой просьбой Tы нарушаеш правила форума. ;)

Cheers... Bence

Привет! Будь осторожнее! С такой просьбой Tы нарушаеш правила форума. ;)

Cheers... Bence

I was thinking of pointing that out but you did it with more class than I would have managed!

[thumbup]

P.

I was thinking of pointing that out but you did it with more class than I would have managed!

[thumbup]

P.

Thank You, Pippy!

more overhead meteors explode

Hello Sulimov! Don't worry about it - no problems! You're new here... hope You don't mind that I pointed out to the customs of the Forum. You're welcome here and I hope You'll enjoy being here as much as I do.

Cheers... Bence

"This is all such a shame." If China would just not copy and do their own thing, they would have a better product to sell and become more economically sound on their own. Its not these are god awful guitars, generally they are made well. Just Google "China Gibson Les Pauls" and you will see the differences.

Look first at the back of the headstock just before the nut. Do you see a "V" shape in the wood. If you have that in a Gibson LP, its not a Gibson USA Guitar. Also, look at the silkscreening and pearl decals on the front of the headstock logos. Compare with a real Gibson and you will see the font differences vividly although they are getting better at the Logo copying. So therefore look close at the side of the Binding as it goes from the side of the neck onto the body of the guitar. If you can see that happening, its not real. Another is that the frets stretch down and over the binding and the copies don't do that. The bodies are usually wider.. bunch of stuff. So before you shell out 300.00 - 400.00 for what you think is a new or reissue Gibson, try these tests. A real Gibson 53 Standard LP Reissue is in the thousands I would think if they even made such a model. The Chinese are clever but even though they copy real Gibson serials they don't check what the numbers actually mean so the serial is usually out of whack too.

Sorry man, its a Made in probably North China FAKE!

the tuneomatic bridge and stop tailpiece had not been invented in 1953

Just to be a complete pedant yet again...

That's what I thought, too, but a couple of years ago none other than George Gruhn's had for sale a 1953 Les Paul Custom complete with ABR-1 and Stoptail. Serial number was, of course, 3 XXXX.

It seems that the first LP Customs were actually made at the end of 1953 and not early '54 as is generally thought.

O.K. Pedant of the Week time is now over.

Carry On !

P.

Just to be a complete pedant yet again...

That's what I thought, too, but a couple of years ago none other than George Gruhn's had for sale a 1953 Les Paul Custom complete with ABR-1 and Stoptail. Serial number was, of course, 3 XXXX.

It seems that the first LP Customs were actually made at the end of 1953 and not early '54 as is generally thought.

O.K. Pedant of the Week time is now over.

Carry On !

P.

I should clarify, the tom and stop tailpiece was available on the Les Paul custom in very late late 53 early 54 but did not appear on the Standard actually until 55 or 56.

• 1 month later...

Archived