Gibson Brands Forums

New project.

Buxom

I picked up an old Ibanez RG with an original Edge trem for $20. Rough shape, but I'm bringing it back from the dead. Pics later, already tore it down, starting to sand and smooth it. Probably just going to bondo the dings, smooth it, prime it, and paint it.

Cheers.

uS8E14o.jpg

Alright, game plan.

needs a new neck. (old one was spraypainted and has a split clean down the middle) Gonna get this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Ibanez-RG350-Wizard-II-NECK-TUNERS-Guitar-Locking-Nut-Pink-/200888960377?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D5620631257189563998%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D200888960377%26

Doing 2 coats of white as a base, and some kind of pink trim, then clear coating it.

Going to keep the pickups the same for now (not even sure what kind, look like OEM Dimarzios, tbh.)

Going to get a compensated nut so I don't have to use the locking one.

I've got a few more ideas. Later, though. For $20, I did well. The electronics work (tested before dismantled) The trem works (tested) and It's going to look great.

Now, the idiot that had it before me spraypainted it without taking it apart, and miraculously got none on the chrome section of the bridge. The inside of the bridge cavity, however, is a different story. The pickups were spray painted (but miraculously work) basically everything but the bridge was spraypainted.

this is going to be for when I have extra time and money, btw. I'll update when i update the guitar.

I like your door. It's really excellent.

This is going to be difficult, though.

Cheers man :)

And yeah this work requires alot of preperation and precision.. Which I dont always have lol (and many many many hours of sanding ;))

I admire anyone that brings a guitar back from the woodchipper. I ran across an old Martin 2-17 mahogany parlor guitar that someone tried to fix, but failed. I noticed that the Martin logo was missing and contacted the people there to see whose arse I needed to kiss to get my hand on a Martin decal. I'm told it's a special type, that is difficult to install properly. Still waiting to hear back from my contact at Martin.

Has anyone else run into this problem? How do restore a guitar to original condition without being able to attach a logo? I've got a pretty good color laser printer...maybe that would work. Feedback welcome. [confused]

Yeah Bux, 20$, that is a steel and you get to be the one to make it like you want to so its a win win. If its the same type pups that came stock on my Iby they basically suck, use-able but not very good. The switch is trash as well so save your money and plan on replacing those when you can, I put a genuine Al-parts switch in mine and had some custom pups made for it. The pot's aren't to bad at-least not the one's in my SA. I spent 120$ on three custom wound pups and less then 25$ for the switch, I'm not a genius at wiring guitars so after I tried and failed I paid my local tech 30$ to fix my mess of wire's. I paid some where around 200$ for the guitar when I got it (used) so for a bit over 300$ I now have a nice sounding guitar.

I am planing on replacing the neck as it's now crooked as a mountain road, Warwick will custom make any neck and has a cost calculator on there web-site that is quite complex, looks like the way to go when I get 300$ ahead for the new neck.

Good luck!

I'm changing direction on this guitar. I did a totally custom finish. 7 coats of white, then I lightly sprayed and dumped/threw blue chalk onto the wet paint. When it dried, I rubbed it in by hand, then I wet sanded it and it gave it kind of a blue pastel look with splotches of blue and white all over. it looks amazing, but it's so light that my camera doesn't really pick it up.

Love the idea of using the chalk???... (I might steal it at some time!)

Unusual finishes are always risky. That's what's so cool about them.

If it doesnt take b***s and a certain amount of blind faith (sorry Eric) it aint worth doing!!

It's a really difficult thing to do.

I did 4 coats of gloss (first 3 non sanded for build up, last one sanded for the new paint) and then 3 coats of matte white because it's more porous. spray your 7th coat, then let it dry. then, lightly spray it, and lightly dust with the chalk. (it's the industrial kind that goes on pulleys and w/e, it's dust) let that dry, then rub that in by hand. get more dust and rub that in by hand on each side. knock out any excess dust, then bring it in for wet sanding. wet sand the hell out of it with 220 grit paper or finer (depending on how you want the splotches to look) and go in circles, then cut in half with a straight line, repeat the process. once you've gone over the whole surface, take the liquid and rub it all over. (it will have blue dust in it) wipe away the excess, repeat. once you're satisfied with it, fill any cavities with CLEAN water. (I'm talking open a bottle and pour it in) get q tips and rub them into any crevices with the water still in there. pour it out and the body against a fan on full blast for several hours.

that's basically what I did over 2 days

It's a really difficult thing to do.

I did 4 coats of gloss (first 3 non sanded for build up, last one sanded for the new paint) and then 3 coats of matte white because it's more porous. spray your 7th coat, then let it dry. then, lightly spray it, and lightly dust with the chalk. (it's the industrial kind that goes on pulleys and w/e, it's dust) let that dry, then rub that in by hand. get more dust and rub that in by hand on each side. knock out any excess dust, then bring it in for wet sanding. wet sand the hell out of it with 220 grit paper or finer (depending on how you want the splotches to look) and go in circles, then cut in half with a straight line, repeat the process. once you've gone over the whole surface, take the liquid and rub it all over. (it will have blue dust in it) wipe away the excess, repeat. once you're satisfied with it, fill any cavities with CLEAN water. (I'm talking open a bottle and pour it in) get q tips and rub them into any crevices with the water still in there. pour it out and the body against a fan on full blast for several hours.

that's basically what I did over 2 days

Yes.. Sanding sanding and then more sanding.. lol its probably the most boring thing about it..

Looks like you got a nice idea there.. look forward to seeing the whole thing :)

Hello!

Nowadays I make guitarstands from waste wood pieces. I usually sand them gradually changing to a smoother sanding cloth. When I find it good enough, I change to very fine steel wool and wet polish/sand the wood. It becomes like marble! That's what I would have done to this guitar. Try it on a piece of wood to see what a beautyful results You can get doing so. [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

Archived