Gibson Brands Forums

Can you order an old wood gibson ?

JuanCarlosVejar

folks ,

I've always wondered can you order a gibson with old maple or old mahogany ?

like let's say you wanted a J 45 or a 1963 style hummingbird ( with maple) and you went to gibson to make them instead of a custom luthier ... can montana get you old hog or maple at your request ??? (not really talking old rosewood because that's probably hard to find) .

thanks

JC

It would be nice.

The Brazilian Rosewood Lowden uses is reclaimed wood from church pews ect...and the Cuban Mah is old as well.

It will not sound like a old guitar making it with old wood though.Wood will be more stable but it's

the vibrations that it gets from being played that seems to do the trick.

Some of the Braz guitars I tried in Glasgow recently had come from a table, stumbled on, bought, taken apart and turned into a bunch of guitars. Fair play... have to admit though, it's fancy, it's scarce, but I didn't hear the significant zeros it adds to the price. In fact one of the nicest playing/sounding rosewood guitars I tried that day was a Chinese el cheapo, but had been setup lovely. Clear winner in the bang for buck territory... overall winners were the Lowdens though. Double nifty and I'm really not a fan of Lowden's aesthetics if I'm honest.

Some of the Braz guitars I tried in Glasgow recently had come from a table, stumbled on, bought, taken apart and turned into a bunch of guitars. Fair play... have to admit though, it's fancy, it's scarce, but I didn't hear the significant zeros it adds to the price. In fact one of the nicest playing/sounding rosewood guitars I tried that day was a Chinese el cheapo, but had been setup lovely. Clear winner in the bang for buck territory... overall winners were the Lowdens though. Double nifty and I'm really not a fan of Lowden's aesthetics if I'm honest.

Very plain and subdued.

Wood figure is usually really nice but its the flat finish that is a serious bling minus.

But my wife thinks less decoration and no finish results in a better sound.

I ordered mine with a High Polished back & sides but a matte top.

folks ,

I've always wondered can you order a gibson with old maple or old mahogany ?

like let's say you wanted a J 45 or a 1963 style hummingbird ( with maple) and you went to gibson to make them instead of a custom luthier ... can montana get you old hog or maple at your request ??? (not really talking old rosewood because that's probably hard to find) .

thanks

JC

It's been stated here before that Gibson is not taking any special orders. There was a time that they did. I even know a guy that sent Walnut wood from a tree in his grandfather's back yard. His grandfather passed away and the tree died so the family divided up the wood. Some made furniture and this guy had Gibson/Montana make him a guitar. They have done a lot of things like that in the past. If you are in a hurry and Gibson doesn't get past this new policy contact Kevin Kopp in Bozeman. He makes Gibsons better than Gibson does. I just hope they can find a great luthier and start making fun stuff again.

It's been stated here before that Gibson is not taking any special orders. There was a time that they did. I even know a guy that sent Walnut wood from a tree in his grandfather's back yard. His grandfather passed away and the tree died so the family divided up the wood. Some made furniture and this guy had Gibson/Montana make him a guitar. They have done a lot of things like that in the past. If you are in a hurry and Gibson doesn't get past this new policy contact Kevin Kopp in Bozeman. He makes Gibsons better than Gibson does. I just hope they can find a great luthier and start making fun stuff again.

Kevin Kopp builds wonderful guitars. He is a friend and I am pleased to own one. Different from my Gibsons.

JM

Fred ,

Are we talking the nashville custom shop or montana custom shop . Who is building mandolins ?

JC

Pretty sure mandolins get built at Nashville. Used to be at the Opry Mills location, I though, but that might have changed after the flood a few years back.....?

Montana CS is, I am fairly certain, still there in Bozeman, and you can still place orders for custom builds thru your designated 5-Star dealer.

(Younger) Fred

Pretty sure mandolins get built at Nashville. Used to be at the Opry Mills location, I though, but that might have changed after the flood a few years back.....?

Montana CS is, I am fairly certain, still there in Bozeman, and you can still place orders for custom builds thru your designated 5-Star dealer.

(Younger) Fred

I was told it was Bozeman. Maybe someone from CS can chime in and we'll see if my source was blowin smoke. Jeremy, where are ya?

Edit: Bozeman WAS mandolin country pre-Gibson..who knows? Henry Knows.

Archived