Gibson Brands Forums

Howard Roberts Fusion III

TexGoneNW

I have read that other HRF owners "hated" the individual finger-type tailpiece and they actually replaced it with a stop tail (gasp!) I don't understand that at all and I think it's one of the coolest designs ever made. I wouldn't trade it for the world...

... that provides an effective fine-tuning device, too.

The early Howard Roberts models had an oval soundhole, a wooden bridge and a trapeze tailpiece I think.

The later released Howard Roberts Fusion came with a stop tailpiece, featuring a TP-6 stock, which was told to prevent feedback. In my opinion, the first HR model was more feedback prone due to the oval hole, not the tailpiece.

The latest model, HRF III, came with the "fingers" string suspension. I was the sound engineer of a trio with the guitarist, besides other guitars, playing an HRF III for many years. We didn't have any serious feedback problems, so I think this could be a proof for my assumption regarding the soundhole design.

I am definitely a TP-6 fan, but in case of the HRF III, the tailpiece design makes a lot of its easy playability and overall feel I believe.

Here is my little girl, from 1990:

0906070008.JPG

Sorry, Prince... must have overlooked yours for a long time. [blush]

This is the most beautiful HRF III I have ever seen, and perhaps the nicest of all the ES Gibsons I know.

To my eyes, yours looks better than the Vintage Bursts Gibsons from the early 1980s. And it looks friendlier to me than black. Perhaps I would have purchased the one a pal of mine sold two years ago if it had been a burst... :-k

Incredible... this back is just TOO beautiful to remain unseen most of the time. [love]

I also like the way they did the bursts around the neck-body junction and the headstock - fantastic! [thumbup]

Actually I'm wondering if I dared to touch it, but I think there's no reasonable way other than that to make it sound. [biggrin]

So I think I finally would since I also live only once... ;) And of course, I would have to do without looking at the pretty back while playing [rolleyes][wub]

Thank you for posting these nice pics of this great guitar, Prince Malagant! It's a sublime pleasure looking at them. [smile]

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I rewired mine with a Emerson Customs ES-335 wiring harness with bumble bee caps.  The harness needed a little modification and I also had to ream one hole to get the fit.  but it is in .  The pickups are Bridge Seymour Duncan Custom Shop handwound Candybucker '57 replica, the Neck is Kent Armstrong Handwound 12 pole jazz pickup. 

Tho old harness has treble bleed!   I have never had a harness with treble bleed.  the new one does not. 

I love the sound.  The neck is a true Jazz pickup and  there is no mistake when in a clean amp.  The bridge is rocking Blues '57 sound.  truly a Fusion.   

0174916A-D1F4-4846-9B4D-DA7123E66814_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by kevmc

11 hours ago, kevmc said:

I rewired mine with a Emerson Customs ES-335 wiring harness with bumble bee caps.  The harness needed a little modification and I also had to ream one hole to get the fit.  but it is in .  The pickups are Bridge Seymour Duncan Custom Shop handwound Candybucker '57 replica, the Neck is Kent Armstrong Handwound 12 pole jazz pickup. 

Tho old harness has treble bleed!   I have never had a harness with treble bleed.  the new one does not. 

I love the sound.  The neck is a true Jazz pickup and  there is no mistake when in a clean amp.  The bridge is rocking Blues '57 sound.  truly a Fusion.   

0174916A-D1F4-4846-9B4D-DA7123E66814_1_105_c.jpeg

Smart looking HRF.

Did you change out the pickups? If so, what did you think of the 490s?

I played on in a store ages ago. It was $2700 or so, at the time (2010?) I should have gotten it at the time. It was a killer axe.

Here is a guy playing one you might recognize. I was at this show but I did not take the pic.

FWw8m9x.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper