Gibson Brands Forums

Used JB or J45 Legend

Dave F

I've been selling off some of the herd (5 in the past two weeks) and looking for just a couple replacements.

Currently I'm considering a used JB (on Gibson Trading Post) or a used J45 1942 Legend.

Unfortunately there's none locally so I would be buying it without ever trying one.

Please give some opinions.

Just looking at your stable in your signature line, both of these would fit in well. I have the JB, 12 fretter, and I have to say that it is a rather magnificent instrument - it has taught me much - especailly on the simplcity side of playing. I've never played a Legend. Every time I take out the JB, I smile at my good fortune in having acquired it.

I've been selling off some of the herd (5 in the past two weeks) and looking for just a couple replacements.

Currently I'm considering a used JB (on Gibson Trading Post) or a used J45 1942 Legend.

Unfortunately there's none locally so I would be buying it without ever trying one.

Please give some opinions.

For a used slope have you looked at old ones? You can get some nice slopes for that money.

For a used slope have you looked at old ones? You can get some nice slopes for that money.

I'm open to and keeping my eyes open for an old one as long as it's in decent shape and not a lot of repaired cracks.

I'm seeing the used legend going for 3k-4k.

Most of the old ones seem to be 4k-6k unless it has a lot of repairs or needs some.

My other concern with the old ones is how much I'll have to put into it for neck reset, frets, etc.

I don't think I would buy an old one without seeing it unless the seller had a great reputation.

I did meet a real nice guy this past week who bought my '40's Martin Ukulele. He has a '38 L00 he's thinking about selling.

If it's in as good of shape as he described, and I believe him, I would buy it on the spot.

Dave,

If I was you I'd go for the JB that is for sale here. Great price and different then the 14 fret J45 type of guitar.

I owned a Legend and I just didn't care for it as much as I did other Montana slope shoulder guitars that I've owned.

Good luck with your choice.

Dave I lusted for a legend for a very long time and finally got to play one about a month ago maybe my expectations were too high but I was unimpressed. It was a good guitar but not great as I wanted. I owned a JB model and the nut was too big for me. But it was an amazing sounding guitar. The one on the trading post is a great deal and I'm amazed its still there. If I can reccomend another guitar it would be a Kopp K35 they are outstanding and it really brings out something special. Just my two cents

Wow..nice two considerations.. best examples of the model.

Its the Legend on ebay yes..? I pass it to look but it should sell for a little less than what I saw it posted for a couple of weeks ago.

Good Luck. : )

I'm familar with the Ebay one. I found one a few hundred less.

Dave I lusted for a legend for a very long time and finally got to play one about a month ago maybe my expectations were too high but I was unimpressed. It was a good guitar but not great as I wanted. I owned a JB model and the nut was too big for me. But it was an amazing sounding guitar. The one on the trading post is a great deal and I'm amazed its still there. If I can reccomend another guitar it would be a Kopp K35 they are outstanding and it really brings out something special. Just my two cents

Thanks for the feedback. Good info.

The biggest thing that scares me away from the legend is the dramatic drop in price from a new one to the used one.

Not a good ratio and that's usually a sign that overall the owners are not that happy with them.

You will always find some players that will love them and swear by them but I seem to have a habit of getting rid of the ones I do not connect to.

Hey, just sell the Taylor and buy both.

It would be an easy choice for me because I own a Banner J-50 (I will generally always take the original over a reissue) so it would be the JB all the way. I am dying to get my hands on one of those instruments.

The Taylor is next on my list to go along with the Martin D28EP and Takamine. I hit my monthly limit on Ebay so I'll give them a run on CL then if needed Ebay.

I don't have a JB, but I do have a Legend J-45, as well as a True Vintage J-45, True Vintage Southern Jumbo, and Fuller's J-35 to compare it to. The Legend has all the qualities I love about Gibson slopes, presented in one package to their best advantage.

I got to spend a little time with some of the Jackson Browne prototypes (Fuller's had a few), and I don't know how they compare to the production models, but if I were to add a new guitar to my collection, that is what I would consider (that, and jt's Maple J-45...). I chose to get a Legend J-45 first, though. But that's just me.

Red 333

• 3 months later...

The Taylor is next on my list to go along with the Martin D28EP and Takamine. I hit my monthly limit on Ebay so I'll give them a run on CL then if needed Ebay.

U P D A T E

Well I took a lot of the advice given.

I sold off the Taylor and Takamine, plus a few more.

I did buy a vintage J50. I'm still on the fence about it.

I was patiently waiting for the JT models to be announced this summer but it sounds like that will be very limited. (Love the book & CD)

I do not think the Forum Guitar will ever happen.

I'm back on the JB kick. I think I can get a new one within a few hundred of the used ones being offered.

To me, it's worth a few hundred more for a new one in case there's neck angle issues plu I just like new guitars.

I can return it with no hard feelings or send it back to the factory for a reset.

Gibson did a great reset on my J200

I've already been through this issue and it's hard communicating with used sellers and their opinion of good action is not always in line with mine and the majority cannot measure the string height and available saddle.

I was told they no longer make the JB as a production model and can only be special ordered whenever they start taking special orders.

I have an attractive offer from a 5-star dealer that I may pull the trigger on this week. He needs to feed me back one more piece of info 1st.

Archived