Gibson Brands Forums

Hi all...brand new member here and new NGD!!!!

MistaSnowman

Hi all! This is my very first post and here is my situation...

I've been learning to play for the last two years with the majority of that time playing on my Ibanez 7-string. Now, I'm looking to trade in that guitar toward the purchase of a higher-end Epiphone Les Paul. Les Paul models have always intrigued me, but I can't afford a Gibson. However, Epiphones are in the price range that I can afford. Over the past Saturday, I had the opportunity to try out, both, a Les Paul Custom Pro and a Les Paul 60's Tribute Plus, and both are nice sounding guitars. My question is...What is considered the top of the line Epiphone Les Paul model? I've been looking for the answer across the net but I haven't found a clear cut answer.

Thanks in advance!!!

Welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question, since I don't know much about LPs. But, there are some very knowledgable folks here, somebody that can answer will be along shortly. Just wanted to say, stick around, post pictures of your guitar and join in. Now here's your forum warming present. +1

Hi and welcome, I myself like the pro models, and the standards, I have a LP standard plustop in vintage sunburst which is one of my main guitars and I have a standard plustop pro which

has coil tapping n probucker pups.

Just be aware that sometimes you can get a gibson lp on sale for a cheap price also. I always check the sales and pawnshops. So far I have acquired a 2010 Lp studio for the price of an epiphone. I have also picked up a Firebird 2010 V for less then half the price.

But anyway welcome to the forum and do post pics of whatever you decide to get. The choice is yours, go play every LP in your favorite store and pick the one that screams the best for you

and your style.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I've been playing for over fifty years and I can't tell you what the "best" Epi Les Paul is because I think you have to decide that for yourself. However, I recently bought the Black Cherry LP Tribute Plus because it was equipped with the Gibson classic 57 pickups and Grover locking tuners which I am a fan of and it came with a nice hard shell case included in the package. I can afford a Gibson but chose this one because it was so nice for the price. I've been extremely happy with it since I've had it and I have played it more than my other guitars since it arrived.

Good luck with your selection in whatever you choose. The best advise I can give you is to play around with the guitars before you decide to buy and let your fingers and ears make the decision for you.

Welcome to the forum, Frosty!!!!

Greybeard is 100% spot on.

A good guitar is where you find it.

I have a few Les Paul guitars ranging from $20 up to thousands. (Some are Epiphone and some are Gibsons)

My favorite right now is a Epiphone set neck P-90 Special.

I payed $300 for it.

You're already looking at good over all quality. Anything in a Les that is at the Standard or above level is

going to have the potential to be a good guitar.

Now it's just a matter of finding the one for you.

(the Tribute Plus is pretty cool if you find a good one) IMHO.

Good luck in your search,

Willy

Thank you all for the replies so far! I really appreciate the response [biggrin] !

Although I agree that the 'best' Epi will be the one that feels right and sounds right to me, I'm just trying to find out what Epi's top of the line Les Pauls between the Standard, Traditional or Custom lines (or a model line that I'm unaware of).

The three models that caught my eye were...

1. 60's Tribute Plus (played at Sam Ash)
  2. Custom Pro (played at Guitar Center)
  3. Prophecy GX (haven't played but have fair knowledge of the pickups used)

By all accounts, I don't think that I'll go wrong choosing the model. I just have to figure out which one will make me smile the most.

I think the other guys pretty well nailed it.

It's the guitar, not the price tag. Either an Epi or a good deal on a Gibbie will have a price point you can live with, but each is an individual.

I'm personally not into the LP. Never owned one in 50 years of pickin'.

But... my "baby" brother who's like 28 years younger, hence the term in quotes, also is a picker and he's in love with an Epi LP he found. He could afford about any guitar he wanted and still sez this is the best-playing and sounding he's had his hands on.

I've also heard LP fans suggest that for the cash, an LP studio is fantastic.

Each to their own - but again, "best" is the guitar that you don't have to play 'cuz it plays you.

m

Tried a couple more PRO models yesterday (Standard Plus Top and the Traditional Pro) and, again, I came across two outstanding guitars, although they are voiced differently. The Standard sounded really crunchy with low distortion (I like that and I wonder if the maple cap has anything to do with that), while the Traditional had a little more chime/'airy'/open sounding voice. Talk about being totally confused now, in a VERY good way, because I havent played a 'bad' Epiphone yet.

Snowman... you wrote, "I haven't played a 'bad' Epiphone yet."

I doubt that your comment shocks anyone here. FYI I have two Epi electrics, both Dots, and three Epi AEs. All very nice for what they are guitar-wise.

m

I've got an assortment of Epi Les Pauls, I love them. Here's my thoughts on them:

- LP Std+ Pro & Traditional Pro - both are very good, hard to beat. They have Epi's new upgraded PU's. Great tones.

- LP Custom - same for this, just a little fancier. gold hardware and PU covers have to be wiped down or they'll tarnish.

- 1959 LP - excellent! with Gibson Burstbucker PU's.

- 1960 Tribute LP - I'm not a fan of Gibson '57 Classics, the top end is too rounded for me, not enough clarity. Otherwise very good guitar.

- LP Royale - my ebony Royale sounds great, highly recommended.

- LP Std (solid color) - Good guitar, doesn't have the upgraded PU's or push-pulls of the Std+ and Custom.

- LP Studio - costs almost as much as Std, but plainer. Why not get a Std or Royale?

- '56 LP - P-90's and LP's go together very well. There's an ebony model if the gold top is too flashy for you.

- LP Prophecy - Great if you're into metal, I'm not.

LP Prophecy - Great if you're into metal, I'm not.

The only issues I have with the Prophecy is, one, that I question it's versatility. The crunch is there but can it be blues-y when I need it to be. Secondly, I'm trading my Ibanez 7-string towards my Epi purchase. Trying to transition away from strictly 'metal' guitars like my Ibanez, rather than to get the Epi version of a strictly 'metal' guitar.

***Yes, I did note that I had my eye on the Prophecy, but I think my view of this guitar has changed.***

I just bought an Epi Ultra III. They have the Epi Pro Buckers. I have to tell you that I really like these pickups. I love clarity and chime and these have it!. I like them better than the 57 Classics in my Gibson ES 335 and the 490/498T in my Gibson Les Paul Custom.

The Pro Buckers are supposed to be identical to Gibson's own Burstbucker pickups with the difference being that the Pro Buckers are manufactured overseas. They are my favorite sounding humbucker to date. Not bad for an Epi! I guess when it comes to Gibson my fave would obviously be their Burstbuckers.

The Ultra III is a great guitar. The acoustic Nanomag pickup at the end of the fingerboard is very versatile. The guitar also has a built in tuner in the bridge pickup ring.

You should go online and research it. I love the guitar so much that I just purchased an Epi LP Plus Top Pro. It lacks the built in tuner and Nanomag acoustic pickup but still has the Pro Buckers and has the addition of coil tapping for both pickups by pulling on the volume knobs. It is cheaper than the Ultra III too. The Ultra III can be bought for around $750 and the Plus Top Pro for around $499. These are great prices!

Now for the NGD....

After work today,I went to GC to trade in my RGA7 for the item that's in this bag...

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7746-after-long-day-work-i-went-gc-trade-my-rga7-blasphemy-i-know-item-bag.jpg

Is it a Gibson?!?!

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7747-gibson.jpg

Not quite, it's my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7748-no-its-epiphone-les-paul-custom-pro-its-mine.jpg

Closeup of ProBucker pickups...

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7750-closeup-probucker-pickups.jpg

There she is!!!

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7751-there-she.jpg

I'm soooo stoked!!!

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7752-im-very-proud.jpg

Me and my NEW guitar!!!

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7753-me-my-new-guitar.jpg

Pickin' some notes!

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7754-picking-few-notes.jpg

Now for the NGD....

After work today,I went to GC to trade in my RGA7 for the item that's in this bag...

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7746-after-long-day-work-i-went-gc-trade-my-rga7-blasphemy-i-know-item-bag.jpg

Is it a Gibson?!?!

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7747-gibson.jpg

Not quite, it's my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7748-no-its-epiphone-les-paul-custom-pro-its-mine.jpg

Closeup of ProBucker pickups...

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7750-closeup-probucker-pickups.jpg

There she is!!!

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7751-there-she.jpg

I'm soooo stoked!!!

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7752-im-very-proud.jpg

Me and my NEW guitar!!!

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7753-me-my-new-guitar.jpg

Pickin' some notes!

mistasnowman-albums-me-my-new-guitar-picture7754-picking-few-notes.jpg

Looks great Mista Snowman. Enjoy youself with your new LP. The black and gold setup really pops on that guitar.

GB

Woww..that´s a nice one !! Looks better then the kind overloaded "Black Beauty"

Did you think about making a proper review on youtube to show us the difference in sound with the switches (push, pull)

That would be interesting!

Woww..that´s a nice one !! Looks better then the kind overloaded "Black Beauty"

Did you think about making a proper review on youtube to show us the difference in sound with the switches (push, pull)

That would be interesting!

To be honest, I've never done a video before, but it does sound interesting.

Archived