Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone ever been to Chicago Music Exchange?

kebob

I've got a family vacation planned for Chicago this summer and we're staying relatively close to the Chicago Music Exchange. I drool at their website with all the vintage gear they have and the huge showrooms. My holy grail is owning a vintage Gibson acoustic. This may be my best shot in doing so, since I will be so close. Anybody ever been there or have experience with them?

If I did purchase a vintage Gibby, I'd most likely have to have them FedEx it back home as I would not want to deal with airport transportation.

"Chicago Music Exchange" is a down home, folksy, midwest phrase that means OVERPRICED!!! Not a store for the faint of heart. Amazing selection and stock, but I would just be window shopping there...have fun!!

Really? Huh, perusing their vintage stock of Gibby's (J-45s) their prices seem in line ($3,000+) unless I'm clueless on vintage pricing, which may be the case. Wily, do you have a recommended place to look for vintage Gibson's?

Window shopped there a year or so ago and got to play lots of gibsons-old and new. They were friendly and accomodating and I would have been comfortable negotiating with them (had I been in a position to do so). Well worth the visit, I thought.

Window shopped there a year or so ago and got to play lots of gibsons-old and new. They were friendly and accomodating and I would have been comfortable negotiating with them (had I been in a position to do so). Well worth the visit, I thought.

I'll have to check it out when I go. I'm staying just a few blocks from their store so I can't pass up an opportunity to stop by and at least gawk at all the goodies. Problem is, once I get in there, I'd be afraid to strum anything as something may just follow me home.

I'll have to check it out when I go. I'm staying just a few blocks from their store so I can't pass up an opportunity to stop by and at least gawk at all the goodies. Problem is, once I get in there, I'd be afraid to strum anything as something may just follow me home.

Kebob,

PM me your email address and i will have their acoustic manager contact you. He is a close friend and will take good care of you.

All the best

Jeremy

Kebob,

PM me your email address and i will have their acoustic manager contact you. He is a close friend and will take good care of you.

All the best

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy -- that's a nice gesture on your part.

Kebob, I don't know where you are located. but here in N. California there are two stores that carry very good examples of vintage guitars, Gryphon stringed Instruments and Eric Schoenbergs.

http://www.om28.com

http://www.gryphonstrings.com

High but fair pricing as they have usually fine examples of the vintage guitars....NOTE!!!! No vintage guitar with protected woods can be shipped internationally, i.e. Brazilian Rosewood fro example. Good luck in your hunt!!!

Great store with a huge selection of just about anything you want. I stop there every time I'm in Chicago (once or twice a year) and have always had a great experience. And, if they know you're serious about buying, they will deal, so don't let the tag price on anything dissuade you.

Archived