Gibson Brands Forums

NPD

Dub-T-123

Just got this BOSS BF-2 Flanger in the mail today

photo_zps8931b7e8.jpg

It's a pretty rad sounding and versatile analog flanger. Pretty much just sounds like the 80s in a box. Awesome.

I don't think this one is really vintage or anything but it sounds really cool. If you're looking to cop some 80s sounds grab one of these and a compressor and a digital delay and you're stylin

Why? I was listening to "A Forest" by the Cure and decided that this pedal sounds really cool. I also kinda just like to collect pedals if that's ok to admit.

jdgm - I'd like to try the hi band flanger. I've read a lot of people say that it's like the BF-2 but better. They're a lot more expensive though

All BOSS pedals have buffered bypass. This is not a bad thing though, you're much more likely to experience "tone sucking" from a true bypass pedal.

Congrats on the new flanger.Strangely enough I don't have any Boss effects although I've always heard all good things about them. A flanger can be a great add-on to a pedal board because of the broad range of tones that you can get from them.A good flanger can emulate a Leslie pretty closely as well as a phase shifter,chorus and a host of other modulating effects.If you have another flanger and a digital delay and distortion you can pretty well nail the tone that Jimi got on "House Burning Down" and "Gypsy Eyes".First you set one flanger on a long sweep with medium intensity then you set the other on a medium speed sweep and intensity,then you set the delay on a medium tape echo speed with about 4 or 5 repeats.Once you run your distortion pedal through all of this you can pretty well nail the tone of these two songs although you may need to do a bit of tweaking but the steps that I've outlined are the settings that I use on my pedals.Enjoy your new toy,it's a lot of fun experimenting with the sounds that you can get from a new pedal,I've spent daays doing just that.

Cool pedal - and respect for name checking the Cure - I have been a fan since 1980.

I love Boss flangers - when I was a kid, they represented the intersection between: a) the coolest pedal in the world and: B) the pedal you could actually afford to buy (...2nd hand from a shop full of knackered guitars and knocked about pedals)...

Now I have a BF-3, which brings a little bit more to the party. I rarely bother with my Electric Mistress... it is that good...

But I am tempted by one of them Ibanez (Paul Gilbert) Airplane Flangers - check 'em out on you tube.....

Boss does make sturdy equipment.

I have the Leslie emulator. I found it most useful with another guitar or two doing older rock, blues or R&B material where it has been useful at getting a B3 sound as opposed to being just another guitar.

And... it's a lot easier than hauling the old Fender Leslie I used a lot in the old days.

m

A few months ago I bought the TECH 21 RotoChoir Leslie emulator and it's by far the best one that I've heard for coming closest to the authentic Leslie sound.You can set up the sound to emulate the top horns at a faster speed than the drum speed and vice versa.Another great feature of this pedal is that you can dial in as much as you want of the authentic Leslie growl that used to sound so good coming from an overdriven B-3.I have the old CBS Leslie Model 16 with a monster JBL K-120 and since I have gotten the spinal fusion and developed Atrial Fibrillation lugging it around would be suicide so the RotoChoir is almost a lifesaver for me.

Even though I've had it for several months,I haven't tried it with any of my keyboards-what used to be my music room is so blocked with gear that it's literally impossible to play guitar or keyboards standing up in there.I'm starting to get curious though and pretty soon I may bring a keyboard or two up to the living room.

Bonzo...

Never used that one but the Boss "Leslie" has similar controls RE the horns. It can growl too.

OTOH, I don't think any single or any 2 cabs will reeeeeally get the Leslie if you're super picky 'cuz you don't have the 360 bouncing off walls, etc.

I've been kicking myself for close to 40 years though for not buying a Maestro Rover. About the size of a hat box, it had a real rotating speaker that sounded far, far better in person than what a cupla vics I've seen recently would indicate. It also had something the Leslie didn't, at least not that I'm aware of - a true variable speed pedal.

OTOH, like the much bigger (and heavier) Fender version, it only had one speaker.

The speed-up and slow-down of the real thing is emulated fairly well in that Boss pedal I have and probably in yours since both are pretty decent pieces.

Problem I see with anything that ain't at least a "real" rotating speaker is that regardless how well it plays through a mono amp, there's something lacking in hearing it in a room compared to the real thing that gets that doppler "thing" bouncing off the walls, etc. I recall a B3 player friend fronted a small house band for years and kinda threatened physical violence any time the owner suggested moving the bandstand or anything else after the B3 guy set stuff up.

m

Bonzoboy - The good BOSS pedals are some of the best around. They make a lot of bland, boring stuff, but when they do it right they really do it right. If you ask me, it's all about their delays, reverbs, and modulation effects. That's where they really stand out. The distortions are pretty bad in my experience.

Manse - the Cure are great. Lately I've been trying to draw a lot of influence from them, not necessarily tonally, but mainly their song structuring. I love the sound of their mixes and their group dynamic. The way they refrain from playing is I guess what really strikes me.

Milod - which model is that? This pedal surprisingly does an EXCELLENT rotating speaker type effect. It's amazing how subtle and pleasant or weird and outrageous this thing gets. I think it will be really interesting to use when we finally get our recording gear set up.

Milod,I made a huge omission by not mentioning one great feature of the pedal and that's the stereo out feature that allows you to use 2 amps so you can really get the sound thrown around with the beautiful spatial separation that the real Leslie has.

I'm a huge fan of the Cure and love the sound that Robert Smith gets with his Boss effects.I read in an interview from a feature that Guitar Player Mag. did on him a few years ago that he set his pedal controls to what was visually pleasing to him and not for the sound-as strange as that method is,it certainly works for him because he gets some of the most ethereal sounds that I've ever heard come from a guitar.

Boss RT-20

It's a bit kitsch with the lights, etc., but it's getting closed out, I think... a fairly small marketplace for such material after you run a big "oh, my goodness" blast of publicity.

Boss RT-20

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/boss-rt-20-rotary-speaker-sound-processor

Or a bit of a demo past the Youtube ad is at

MF was just my first "google" on it... but I think the reviewers' responses pretty much nail that there is a real difference between a good emulator pedal and the real thing. I have a personal hunch that the particular amp you run through will make a big difference too, in perceived quality of "leslie-like" sound.

Another factor is that you have a different "attack" from a guitar and a real B3 organ. Even a well-done modern electronic keyboard may or may not emulate the B3 which then also will change one's perception of the Leslie-like abilities of a pedal vs. the real thing. And as I noted above, a single rotary speaker ain't gonna sound like the two-speaker versions of the real thing two-speaker cab.

I have concluded that it ain't gonna sound like a real Leslie for a number of reasons, but one of the better emulators should have variations of how to mix speaker speeds, etc., but I think the guitar player's attack will have an effect of the effect. <grin>

Anyway... It's not something I use as a "solo" sorta thing, but seriously, it does work well enough if you can reset your head to be a keyboard player regardless that the instrument has six strings...

m

Ha! That's interesting. Robert Smith seems like a character doesn't he?

I do that with my pedals when they're not in use but I've never known anyone that does that for their normal settings

Btw sorry about the minuses Tman, I think people misunderstood you. I would plus you up but it won't let me for some reason.

Bonzo...

I wondered about a stereo out - that would indeed be an advantage with 2 amps for certain to get yet closer to the real thing.

EDIT...

I just checked a pdf on the Boss unit and it sez it has stereo connection... The phones jack also outputs in stereo.

I just never used it that way...

m

Oops. You snuck in while I was typing

Yeah, I figure no emulation will sound quite like the real thing (which I'm not particularly interested in emulating for my own use anyways), but I was interested to see what you're using and how you like it.

I think using it in stereo would definitely make it more convincing, but then there's another amp to lug around! Kinda starts to defeat the purpose of the pedal unless you're running stereo through a PA or something.

Dub...

Actually if you raise the amp - I mostly used my little Kustom 30-watt AE amp - up onto a bar stool, it also helps sound a bit more "real." At least in a small saloon.

I think that were I gigging as a "B3 player with strings" doing blues or older rock material that had a lotta B3, I'd still keep things as light as possible too. I'm definitely with you on that, and more so given that at my age I'm not so much into schlepping heavy stuff.

The stereo through a PA could work, but I almost think everybody'd have to be run through the board too, then, to keep more sound stability for an audience.

Thing is that it gives quite a different texture of sound compared to even the old tube amp trem and other stuff.

m

I love old BOSS pedals. For me, this means Bark At The Moon-era Jake E. Lee.

Their distortions are rather, uh, lackluster (in my opinion. Then again, I don't like distortion boxes anyway). But most of their overdrives are great IMO, especially the MIJ SD-1 and OD-1. They don't get the love they deserve. Most rock guitar players in the 80s used an SD-1 or OD-1 through a Marshall (including the aforementioned Jake E. Lee....OD-1 boosting a cranked 800....). That type of setup is the ****, assuming you know how to use it. It's not fancy, but since when is rock n' roll fancy?

These old flangers are cool. The guitarist from TNT used one as a cocked-wah type mid boost.

Archived