Gibson Brands Forums

Palmer Speaker Simulator

CoreyT

He's not using a Chapman Guitars ML-1 or ML-2, made by Chapman Guitars, who make guitars. Because he's Rob Chapman, owner of Chapman Guitars, who make Chapman Guitars like the ML-1 and ML-2.

:P

If you've been watching his most recent videos you'll get it...

Don't see the point, looks like a fancy direct box to me.... So why not just get an inexpensive DI, go straight into the board and futz with the eq on the mixer?

It is just a fancy di, LosYorkNashAngelesVilleCity been using them long time, I think bass players like them. That one and...Journeyman? WorkingMan? Something like that.

rct

It is just a fancy di, LosYorkNashAngelesVilleCity been using them long time, I think bass players like them. That one and...Journeyman? WorkingMan? Something like that.

rct

Countryman! Knew I'd remember while reading some dumb computer crap.

rct

I've had and used a Palmer PDI-03 speaker simulator for over 25 years.

The original model is actually an 8-ohm input load box, passive with line outs, speaker thru, line out and filtered output - settings are deep/flat, and bright/normal/mellow. I had mine modded for 4ohm loading as well as 8ohm.

So you plug the amp into this instead of the speaker and then to the desk, and turn the amp up until it sings.

They get really hot but it's a very good and simple product, not much different to today's load boxes (sorry, power attenuators) like the THD Hot Plate.

However valve amps 'prefer' a proper speaker load which continually varies slightly.

But you knew all that already.

Regards!

Archived