Gibson Brands Forums

What the hell is this ?

JuanCarlosVejar

It appears to be a Gibson mando-bass.

Tom Barnwell probably owns one......

Well, believe it or not, we've had a couple chances to buy one and we passed it up. Remember my wife is the bass player, and nothing is too good for my wife.

The problem is the ones we founded sounded really bad -- both bad tone (subjective) and not loud (not subjective). My wife did get to play one in a session once, but it had a pickup and played through an amplifier.

There is also the Gibson banjo bass -- we have never come across one of those. My wife goes have a Gibson Dobro bass guitar -- it does not go out much.

We do have a 1915 K-1 mandocello. When we heard one was available, our expectations were low because of our mandobass experience. But this turned out to be a beautiful sounding instrument -- I mean like really beautiful!

Best,

-Tom

Do you have to set that thing on a hassock or something like that? Or do you have to be no taller than 4'6"? I'd get a sore back leaning way down to try & fret something like that.

Why do all these questions always pop into my head??? [confused]

Aster

I'm pretty sure that there will be an adjustable extension spike in the bottom of this bass.

During the mandolin orchestra craze, Gibson and other companies made mandolins that corresponded to the equivalent bowed instruments, meaning that the mandolins could read violin sheet music, the mandolas read the viola parts, the mandocellos read the cello parts and, you guessed it, the mandobass read the string bass parts. The Peterborough, Ontario mandolin orchestra has at least one mandobass. Here's a photo of the group.post-55853-097286500 1390798491_thumb.jpg

I don't know what the instrument is but I know who the fellows are in the photo. They make up the group called Dawes. Give them a listen. You will like what you hear. They are very good acoustically or electrically. There is a video of them in concert as the backing band for Jackson Browne doing "Running On Empty". From what I have read Jackson Browne thinks very highly of them.

Archived