Gibson Brands Forums

Why buy a Gibson?

BradM

Hey folks, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping you all can help me out. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years or so, and play nearly every day. I'm in a band and I also play in church. How good am I? Good enough to have just as much fun as the next guy I guess, but I'm getting better every day.. I hope! I'm currently playing an Atlas series Breedlove dread. The guitar is basically ok but it has a VERY annoying twang to the high E string and a bit also on the high B string. The action is low but I do not believe there is any fret buzz. I upgraded to a bone saddle but the nut is stock. I'm playing D'addario medium phospher bronze. I called a guitar builder here in Michigan and talked to him about the guitar. He gave me some thoughts but I wasn't left with the impression that the annoying twang would be gone after he worked on the guitar. With that said, I am guitar shopping to get a feel for my options. I've thought that if i were to buy another guitar it would be a Taylor, but I swapped guitars with one of the other guys at church Sunday morning (Taylor 300 series). He liked my guitar after a minute of playing but he didn't really pick up on the problem. His Taylor was nice, but I didn't fall in love with it. I played a couple of Gibson's at the local GC and I was impressed. And then Monday I stopped at a very reputable local guitar store and had one of the sales people help me out. He was steering me toward a Martin, and then a Taylor. They sell many used instruments, of which there were a few Gibsons. I asked him about Gibson and he said that they don't sell new Gibsons because "Gibson is kind of a pain in the butt company". I don't know what he meant by that. I want a guitar that plays well and when I strum it, I can hear every string.. if you know what I mean.

So, please tell me.. why should I buy a Gibson? Please help!!

I am assuming you are talking about an Acoustic Gibson with perhaps an PUP.

The why buy a Gibson really comes down to you. You put your hands on it, You played it,

You liked it. That's the main reason.

Some perks are ....They are gorgeous, They hold their value and They last and last and etc.

Save your pennies and of course dollars you will not be disappointed

Because they are made by people instead of machine is one reason.

But the main reason to buy any guitar is cause you love the way it sounds & makes you play.

There is more to the world of acoustic guitars than Taylor,Martin,Taylor ,Martin,Taylor,Martin,..they are so bland

..at least a Gibson looks good & some sound as good as anything.

Id say skip Martin..Taylor..Collings..Santa Cruz...Bourgeois...and try a Lowden..Huss & Dalton..& Gibson..if you have to pick one.

If your wealthy Id suggest one of each. : )

A year ago I didn't have any Gibsons, now I have three. I have no idea what sort of band setting you are referring to, do you need a guitar to cut thru and be heard? Are you amplified? For utter fun I like my J-45. String separation in the sound is very good, and the slightly shorter scale is really comfortable. Perhaps see if you can hunt down a J-45 with the "Purevoice" system (Trance Audio Mono). Best of everything in your hunt!

The acoustic Gibsons coming out of the factory these days might sound better than ever.

If the shop you talk about has probs with some sales or warranty-paper whatever issues it's non of your business – as long as the one you get is fine.

And it probably will be.

Should something unexpected happen, well then stick to the rules and get things done.

I bought a Hummingbird this January – without the dot over the I in the logo.

Very seldom detail nowadays (didn't notice before I received it) and Gibson offered splendid service in order to get it fixed.

You should buy a Gibson if you like what you hear, see and feel. It's as simple as that.

There's no hokus pokus to it so start the safari and strum your way through everything you meet, all senses open.

Enjoy the ride and please keep us reported.

I say, simply that Gibson's are the best-looking ,sounding and playing guitars that are available to a 'natural-born' man or woman,,,,PERIOD...[thumbup] ...

Need MORE?

Oh Yeah.....What Em7 say....! He beat me to it!!!!

Gibsons are different. They are "been there and done that" guitars. Blues, folk, country, R&R, Jazz, etc. Gibson was/is there. Plus, they sound great and they come with their own mojo.

Martin is typically my second choice. Good guitars and pretty much the same history and virtues as Gibson, although they're all starting to look kind of vanilla.

Taylors are also nicely-made guitars, and they're "cute."...............For me, it's just not a tough decision. I like Gibsons. I can identify with them.

Beyond all that, I think the best reason to buy a Gibson (or any guitar) is because you like the way it sounds and feels.

Because they are made by people instead of machine is one reason.

But the main reason to buy any guitar is cause you love the way it sounds & makes you play.

There is more to the world of acoustic guitars than Taylor,Martin,Taylor ,Martin,Taylor,Martin,..they are so bland

..at least a Gibson looks good & some sound as good as anything.

Id say skip Martin..Taylor..Collings..Santa Cruz...Bourgeois...and try a Lowden..Huss & Dalton..& Gibson..if you have to pick one.

If your wealthy Id suggest one of each. : )

Mersey nothing wrong with any that you said to skip actually I'd take a Collings or cruz over any lowden I've played.

Buy a gibson because there's history behind it! Plus they sound great. They all have their own voice you just need to find one that sings the same as you

I started with a Hohner acoustic in 1975 which was a good first guitar, but one day shortly after I played a Martin in a store and felt that was the standard...and spent about 10 years wanting one until I traded the Hohner in for a Martin Shenendoah, which was a nice lower end Martin inspired by a D-28. Eventually I ended up with a Martin D-28 and that was my main guitar for a long time....I was a Martin guy. ...

I have always been a big Paul Weller fan and when he started doing more acoustic stuff it was on a J-45... so I wanted one too. I finally got a J45TV in 2009. I was lucky because I found a story that had six of them to choose from.... For me there is no comparison, the Martin is a very nice guitar and sounds great, the J45 just speaks to me at a completely different level. I am not a great player (even after 30 years), but I feel that I have found my guitar voice with the J45TV.

I don't feel the same mojo from the Martin....did not know that til I got the Gibson.... the Martin has hardly been out of the case since. Late last year I picked up a custom shop LG-2, a beautiful dark sound that is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played. Completely different sound, but still unmistakingly Gibson. I bonded with that guitar too (just as much). For me, Gibson is doing something right.

Truth is you can go to other guitar forums and find people who feel the same way about other makers, who is right?....play a bunch until one speaks to you like no other....start with a bunch of J-45s, AJs or the new J-35....if one of those doesn't hook you, keep looking.

I have always been a big Paul Weller fan and when he started doing more acoustic stuff it was on a J-45... so I wanted one too. I finally got a J45TV in 2009.

Not to disturb too much, but isn't Weller's 45 a square shouldered 70's one ?

He might have several, but in case you talk about the sq. sh. it's a completely different animal - which you probably know.

Anyway - those J-45 TV's are sublime.

Hello Brad. Transplanted Michigander with a hankering for Gibson acoustics...Bozeman Gibsons. This is why I like 'em........after a proper set-up to your liking; clear intonation with notes seperated and defined, chords that ring out with the full spectrum without a muddy garbled sound, and a fantastic selection of styles and sizes. I lean towards the 1999-2005 build years from Bozeman. But the new beauties are awesome too! Happy hunting, and remember that a salespersons advice is not as good as a friends, unless he's both! J.D.

I know more than a few music stores that say Gibson is a pain in a butt to deal with. Has nothing to do with the guitars but from what I gather the rather large number of instruments you have to commit to buying every year. I guess it is just alot of cash to lay out and inventory to move.

No reason in the world you should buy a Gibson other than you like 'em. For decades I lived on a steady diet of Fender electrics and Gibson acoustics. So to me they are like old friends. I know what I can pull out of them and expect no more from them. But they work real well for me. I think it really has more to do with the balance than anything. Not too bright on the high end and not too boomy on the low end with really nice saturated mids. And if you get a good one you will find yourself with a guitar with a percussive low end like no other. And I don't care what anybody says but Gibson still has the best burst in the business.

I pretty much echo what everyone else is saying, you gotta pick the one that speaks to you, regardless of who's name is on the headstock. I've been playing for about 15 years now and pretty much for my own recreation. From my own personal experience I really didnt prefer Gibson acoustics a few years ago when I started getting into the higher priced acoustics. But as my ear matured, that Gibson tone really seem to call me more and more whenever I would play them at the stores until one day I finally plunked down the beans for a AJ.

So a long story even longer, I now own 3 Gibson acoustics and I've not looked back. I couldent be happier. I'm not saying that there is something wrong with the other brands, there are some absolutly wonderful other acoustics on the market, but there is just something about the warmth and tone of a Gibson acoustic that has just really captured me. Not to mention a little mojo that goes along with that tone.

But in the end its what speaks to you and what you hear, and not so much what you read.

Enjoy your search, what fun ! :)

Not to disturb too much, but isn't Weller's 45 a square shouldered 70's one ?

He might have several, but in case you talk about the sq. sh. it's a completely different animal - which you probably know.

Anyway - those J-45 TV's are sublime.

Agreed....Weller's 70s square shouldered j45 is quite different. I only meant that his mainly acoustic period around 2001 is what started me down the Gibson acoustic path....I am very happy where I ended up. I did play a few of the square shouldered ones but like the j45TV much more.....

I could have shortened my answer to the why buy a Gibson question to..."Paul Weller has one." [smile]

Weller on the aforementioned square shouldered J45.....

So I get a call from my local GC back in Nov 2011. The salesman says "Hey Mark we have an unboxed Hummingbird just in and I know you mentioned an interest in a new Bird".

So I head over to GC and they just had unboxed the Bird and were hanging it up in the acoustic room. I was the 2nd person to play it. I was very impressed with the tone and how loud this beast was.

I already had a sweet honey toned 2003 Bird and this new Bird had twice the volume! I was thinking this is unusual.

Three gentlemen were on their lunch break trying out Martins. So I asked their opinions, I would play a D28 then the Bird, I would play an EC and then the Bird, etc.. I must have sampled a half a dozen Martins, J45s, SWs, and a couple of high end Taylors. The Bird was the clear winner in the sonic department to these 3 gentlemen and to me too. It is just a LOUD acoustic guitar which HBs are not known for and still has the honey tone.

Ok the guitar had a few minor issues. It has a small dimple about the size of a pinhead on the lower bout that can only be seen in shifting light. It has the white label, no binding over the ends of the frets and and the Sitka top does not quite match in color on both sides depending on the lighting conditions. The action is a tad high but I have left it alone. Regardless it plays fairly easy.

So that's why I purchased a Gibson.

So that's why I purchased a Gibson.

You must have been seriously attracted to the Hummingbird as a model before 2011 as the one you already had, was a more quiet flyer.

Guess the nectar-tone, smooth feel and looks play in here.

Have the idea the second Bird simply blew you away by providing both h-glaze and volume. A strong combination that is –

Btw. my '08 TV has become significantly louder the 23 months it's been here. Looser and more projecting as well.

Right now it's on hold due to a certain evening ahead - the strings are just right.

Really look forward to get it goin' again, , , I mean really. . .

You must have been seriously attracted to the Hummingbird as a model before 2011 as the one you already had, was a more quiet flyer.

Guess the nectar-tone, smooth feel and looks play in here.

Have the idea the second Bird simply blew you away by providing both h-glaze and volume. A strong combination that is –

Btw. my '08 TV has become significantly louder the 23 months it's been here. Looser and more projecting as well.

Right now it's on hold due to a certain evening ahead - the strings are just right.

Really look forward to get it goin' again, , , I mean really. . .

Yeah the 2003 HB is a very mellow guitar, just geat to sing with, I use it as my living room guitar. The 2011 model sounds like the 2003 on steroids. Sometimes you just luck out and get a good one. I must have played a half dozen Birds before buying the 2011.

On the other hand It took awhile for my 2009 Hummingbird Pro to set up properly. She has just now started to open up. She likes a pick. The Birds like the flesh and the pick.

Interesting again, Markini.

You had the '03, but kept on searching.

Did you particularly go for more volume ?

Did you know there was a louder pendent out there somewhere ?

If one can be this free - What drove you ?

Mersey nothing wrong with any that you said to skip actually I'd take a Collings or cruz over any lowden I've played.

Buy a gibson because there's history behind it! Plus they sound great. They all have their own voice you just need to find one that sings the same as you

Collings,Santa Cruz & Bourgeois seem to sound so much like a new higher end Martin Im just like why bother.

Only the wood is prettier..though with excess cash I would not hesitate going for one I liked.

A friend I play with is looking for an acoustic and started out after a J45 used($2k)..this guy is driving all over the place far & wide..

I asked him after being in one of those boutique places in Connecticut recently..as a spieces, which was the best sounding..he said Huss & Dalton.

Any way..Some guitars just make you play and sound better,thats the main thing.

Putting half baked ideas into the equation as to in what form it has to be just gets in the way.

I have two cousins which are still unmarried well into they're 30's similarly hampered.. : )

Interesting again, Markini.

You had the '03, but kept on searching.

Did you particularly go for more volume ?

Did you know there was a louder pendent out there somewhere ?

If one can be this free - What drove you ?

The 03 had no electronics, the 2011 has the baggs system. But I play the 2011 unplugged unless recording.

I wasn't going for more volume, I just got lucky. I am a medium to light touch player. Only time I really attack a guitar is playing electric guitar lead or strumming an acoustic with no pick.

Funny you say that, I am pretty free. I am retired, single all the kids are gone. What drives me is to avoid anxiety. To do this I have found playing the guitar is positive feedback to calm the nerves.

In regard to Gibson acoustics, there is something about the "Tone" that goes deep with me, regardless whether long or short scale.

I play with some old farts every Friday, we call ourselves Redondo Purple. We have about 15 original songs and do a range of covers. From ZZ Topps, Steely Dan,Zep to Neil Diamond, Arlo Guthrie etc..We are quite eclectic on our set lists.

Disclaimer: I own Eastmans, Taylors and a Martin and other brands. I like just about all brands of Guitars. But I am partial to Gibbys.

Archived