Gibson Brands Forums

Latest Rabswood idea.. The Yin/Yang guitar

Rabs

Yeah I noticed. Not a big surprise there, I know it's your favorite configuration ;)

-Ryan

Indeed.. The best of both worlds (imo of course ;))

Im quite looking forward to testing all of these guitars and hearing how those pickup combos sound and the different woods... So far the pups I have tried been pretty good (from Axes R us).. But of course in that Utile Hammer one im currently finishing, Searcy's pups from my first build are going in there.. That should sound REAL PHAT!! :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As always with your threads, Rabs, I'm following this build with interest.

How did you decide on the position for the selector switch?

Seems mighty close to the stop-tail but I've not tried out that configuration myself.

Have you found it to be a 'handy' place?..............:-k

P.

As always with your threads, Rabs, I'm following this build with interest.

How did you decide on the position for the selector switch?

Seems mighty close to the stop-tail but having not tried out that configuration myself I suppose that it could that be a good thing?..............:-k

P.

Cheers man...

And well hmmm... im a bit less than meticulous with that stuff, I keep meaning to make a template for it but forget :) And I like the position to be roughly just under the stop-tail cos where it is on a say Double Cut Special its just under the bridge so I thought well just a few mm back and its a bit more out of the way...

And yes this one was a bit too close.. BUT luckily its like exactly to the mircometer enough space for the switch to flip up... it didn't seem to get in the way but I will do a full test before I finish it and if I have to I can make the hole slightly bigger and it will be covered by a washer of some sort.. I mean im talking 1mm would be enough....

At the moment I guess im still just trying whatever so im not too bothered about where all the knobs are exactly as long as its all functional and reachable.. And the way I see it, why should they all be the same, I kind of like the idea of each of my guitars being unique.. So even the body shapes have slight variations on them..

We will see what happens down the line with me standardising or not.. if I get that far :)

Hello all (well all who are still watching :))

Today I started finishing this Yin/Yang guitar.... and well I kinda knew that this may be an issue and it was... The wood I used for the light half of the body I originally thought was Ash.. however when I was sanding it down after it was glued I quickly found out that it was Poplar (aka Tulipwood)... And well it just doesn't look right...

I will still continue to finish this as I want to see what happens when all those different woods get wet and then dry again.

So here it is along with the other two (that should finish this week)

DSC_0614_zps1f98f369.jpg

And here it is with some finish

DSC_0623_zpse300d0c1.jpg

DSC_0624_zps2086e94e.jpg

From those angles it doesn't look too bad, but get a closer look and you will see what im on about (and the neck joint was not one of my best if im honest too)

DSC_0625_zpsaab3c771.jpg

So really I need to do a new body and neck with Ash this time.. I actually think its going to look pretty cool from this test so im excited about it... :)

Well I knew this would be a bit experimental so im ok with it and I can always try adding some stain on this one which may make it look better.. Apart from that I think my small production line is cool :D

DSC_0626_zps953e4c0e.jpg

That maple finishes like glass... im starting to understand why its such a used wood as a top.... its only had three coats of oil

DSC_0631_zpseb524182.jpg

DSC_0634_zps94bf1794.jpg

More soon [thumbup]

Geeze Rabs,, those are looking really good.

the multi colored one seems to be a bit longer from head to tail.

Was that intentionally done? Bigger body?

Cheers man..

And no its pretty much the same size but a bit further away from the wall :)

I tried to spot that, but it didn't seem obvious until I saw one of the other posted pics above.. then in made sense.

but regardless. this is really good work man,, considering all the details that goes into doing this. impressive work!

I tried to spot that, but it didn't seem obvious until I saw one of the other posted pics above.. then in made sense.

but regardless. this is really good work man,, considering all the details that goes into doing this. impressive work!

Thank you sir.. I really appreciate all the comments..

Its been one hell of a learning curve that's for sure and the support I get on here really helps push me along.... im almost at a point where im 100% happy with what im doing but not quite yet (lets call it 90% at the moment)... The next thing im going to try is binding for my Arrow shape... (the above ones are Hammers)... I will be really impressed with my self if I pull that off :)

The Yin-Yang looks ok from here and it's a good idea even if this particular one isn't a winner - could you incorporate a yin-yang symbol somewhere on it?

The other 2 are looking really good as well!

Still watching.

Still liking.

As all the rest have said Rabs... Damn fine work.

Looking frickin awesome.

Love the Yin Yang,, very cool.

Thank you man :)

So do you like it even with the poplar body? Or do you like the idea of it more?

The Yin-Yang looks ok from here and it's a good idea even if this particular one isn't a winner - could you incorporate a yin-yang symbol somewhere on it?

The other 2 are looking really good as well!

Cheers :)

And yes I have thought about having a symbol somewhere.. maybe at the 12th fret marker or the headstock (or between the pups)... Im not sure though.. I think it may be a bit on the corny side?

Thank you man :)

So do you like it even with the poplar body? Or do you like the idea of it more?

I have to admit I have never bought any guitar because of the wood it was made of so not

knowing anything about tone wood I have to say I like the idea of it and I like the look of it.

Looks great.

I have to admit I have never bought any guitar because of the wood it was made of so not

knowing anything about tone wood I have to say I like the idea of it and I like the look of it.

Looks great.

Thank you :)

And the reason im not so happy with it is nothing to do with tone wood as such.. more to do with the way it looks.. I think the stripy nature of Ash will just look much better as a contrast to the darker side.. or what ever wood I use just to be the same through body and neck.

But we will see soon enough.. I will get on that this week.

Rabs I only wish I could play one of your completed projects..

I have nothing but accolades for your accomplishments.

I still remember your first post.. As I recall that first one was a wood from a door that was going to be thrown away..

and now,, this?

unbelievable..

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Take a bow lad! excellent work..

Rabs I only wish I could play one of your completed projects..

I have nothing but accolades for your accomplishments.

I still remember your first post.. As I recall that first one was a wood from a door that was going to be thrown away..

and now,, this?

unbelievable..

Take a bow lad! excellent work..

Thank you for the kind words sir :)

And yes, in one month it will be two years since my first post on turning a door in to a guitar.. TWO YEARS!!!! where the hell did that go... and yet, I still have a way to go....

I will make some more vids when these next few are done.. and one may be of other people reviewing them.. So watch this space :) [thumbup]

Hello Rabs!

I am glad to see how Your craftsmanship becomes better and better. [thumbup]

However, isn`t the stopbar a bit too close to the bridge? I'd move it a bit further back, like on a L6-S. It improves playability. Somehow the strings feel less dense.

I like the shape of these three instruments. I would like to have one made from mahogany, with 24-fret rosewood board. And reflector knobs! :) I think they look great. Also, the inner edge around the body is a very nice touch.

And, - of course - long tenon is mandatory. I hate to read RCT's comments, like "that's it?" ;)

Great work. I really hope, one day I can start crafting my own instruments...not much time these days.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Rabs!

I am glad to see how Your craftsmanship becomes better and better. [thumbup]

However, isn`t the stopbar a bit too close to the bridge? I'd move it a bit further back, like on a L6-S. It improves playability. Somehow the strings feel less dense.

I like the shape of these three instruments. I would like to have one made from mahogany, with 24-fret rosewood board. And reflector knobs! :) I think they look great. Also, the inner edge around the body is a very nice touch.

And, - of course - long tenon is mandatory. I hate to read RCT's comments, like "that's it?" ;)

Great work. I really hope, one day I can start crafting my own instruments...not much time these days.

Cheers... Bence

Hey man... You ok :)

And thanks for the comments...

Really I am just trying loads of different things when it comes to the spacing of the hardware... Seeing if I can find that perfect balance... But obviously I need to finish them first to see what they are like to play.. The ones I have done so far (that play ok) have all been fine.. Im not sure it makes too much difference as long as theres enough clearance so the strings arnt touching the back of the bridge it should be ok.

And proper.. genuine mahogany is getting harder and harder to come by.. The one on this page that looks like Mahogany is made from Utile (youtilly), that along with Meranti and Sapele is probably the best I will get... Maybe once I have perfected my building I will look a but deeper into getting a good supplier.

So we will see what happens down the line.. If I indeed get that far.

Evenin all...

Today I decided that I really wasn't happy with the neck heel on this yin/yang guitar...

So I got some blocks of wood (I got a few different ones actually to make sure I can colour match as best as possible)

DSC_0635_zps528d6946.jpg

And glued an clamped them together... so I will wait overnight for them to dry

DSC_0636_zps55588ad9.jpg

Then I used my router to take some of the heel off which I will the obviously glue the blocks on to and sand back down

DSC_0641_zpsd086bf72.jpg

And started preparing another body blank for this project :)

DSC_0642_zps9bf3dfef.jpg

I also decided to do a quick test for my new binding channel router bit.. it looks like this

DSC_0643_zps10fae7a0.jpg

you get a bunch of bearings with it do you can cut different sized channels

DSC_0645_zps45a1ab5c.jpg

Then as you can see what you do is run the router along the side of the body and the bearing sets the depth

DSC_0648_zps3f225e81.jpg

And voilà a binding channel :D (this is just a test body)

DSC_0651_zpsdfc21229.jpg

DSC_0655_zpsd03b3a01.jpg

So I will get on to testing some different glues tomorrow and see which works best. Then I will try it for real :D

And just to round todays post off.. heres a couple more of those two im finishing.. pretty much done now.. Maybe one or two coats more (you always just want a little more :))

And remember these haven't even been buffed yet.

DSC_0656_zpsf9d3dabc.jpg

DSC_0663_zpsc5c9cc66.jpg

DSC_0664_zpsdf99f332.jpg

More tomorrow and thanks, as always, for watching [thumbup]

both are beautiful,, but in the middle photo

the one on the left..

Where is the LIKE button!!

[thumbup]

I dig that color shade.. a lot..

Thats a Rosewood stain :)

I like it too [thumbup] When you first put the stain on and it dries it looks a bit muddy but I knew that with some finish it would look cool .. :) (kinda like the Brown Faded LP Studio finish, but with some shine)

...Im not sure it makes too much difference as long as theres enough clearance so the strings arnt touching the back of the bridge it should be ok.

Hello Rabs!

It does. I have three Les Pauls and one L6-S. Same scale-lenght, same hardware. The distance between the bridge and stopbar on L6-S is nearly twice as much as on a Les Paul.

The L6-S feels softer to play.

Cheers... Bence

Archived