Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson or Olson????

onewilyfool

To me, no contest. Gibson. Fantastic tone. But then the Gibby is mic'd direct, while he's running a Baggs LB-6 in the Olson and doesn't project the true, pure acoustic sound of a mic'd instrument. Not that the Olson doesn't sound good on its own. Just that between these two particular videos, the Gibby really stands out. I've heard his Olson sound amazing in other situations.

DC

Both guitars and performances are excellent and to be frank it makes no sense whatsoever to start a competition - pardon me.

Being the saddle-material geek of the Board, I'm almost about starting one myself though - by claimning it's also a match between rosewood and bone.

To my knowledge not many people are aware that Taylor used the rosewood saddle in his golden founding years.

Maybe among other reason because the saddle was later fixed to traditional bone.

But there we go - another point taken by the normally slammed adjustable concept , , , this time even with wooden insert.

Yes, the guitar might have been a bit quiet un-miked, but I bet it sounded good back in day (as we know, Taylor has now permitted it pension). . .

Lots of lessons in this. One of them is that it makes a huge difference whenever you mike up an acoustic guitar.

Miking and the way it was recorded has been validly discussed, but if I would choose which guitar sounded purely on what Im hearing I would choose the Olson by a fair margin. Suits the song better to my ears, with greater clarity and articulation which are qualities this track appreciates.

To my Gibson friendly ear the J 50 has a much bigger bottom register that James pickin' style uses to full advantage. Seems to me the Olson can't get out of the piano's way. Sounds sweet but definitely not BIG, and lacking returns on the Em and Cmaj7 chords that the Gibson fills the room with.

Does anyone know when and or why he changed from Gibson?

Unlike most others, mr. Taylor has the idea acoustic guitars wear out at some point - and it's not just psychologically as 'owner running dry', , ,

he means the wood, the construction, the whole thing !?!?

Don't know when he changed to Olsons, but my guess would be somewhere during the 90's. .

There's a clip on the Tube where he shows us his guitar vault and even opens to the golden era J-50. See if you can look it up.

Unlike most others, mr. Taylor has the idea acoustic guitars wear out at some point - and it's not just psychologically as 'owner running dry', , ,

he means the wood, the construction, the whole thing !?!?

Don't know when he changed to Olsons, but my guess would be somewhere during the 90's. .

There's a clip on the Tube where he shows us his guitar vault and even opens to the golden era J-50. See if you can look it up.

here ya go.

here ya go.

I had seen that video before. Amazing how he refers to "guitars wearing out." I had never heard of such a thing. Anyway, it's ashame that he's kinda abandoned Gibsons on stage. He played a Fender Strat or Tele on stage in Charlotte for what I termed his "jazz" session.

I had seen that video before. Amazing how he refers to "guitars wearing out." I had never heard of such a thing.

I think he laid the J-50 up many years ago - in fact as early as the 70's, which would mean it was between 10 and 15 years old when he left it.

Well, it might have been recycled now and again, but I recall a Martin dread-like thing from the 70's. (Believe he owns a Olson dread too).

To say a good guitar is burned out that early is a strange and highly subjective point of view and the psychological factor (all those hours of rehearsal) must play a role.

Another possibility is that he simply couldn't recognize the guitar after the saddle was fixed. .

What do we know

Archived