Gibson Brands Forums

Did you ever just buy a guitar for its color

Thomse

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reasonable facsimile of my very first electric...Christmas present 1963...Sears Silvertone by Danolectro.It is actually made in 1959 but was on the shelf at our local Sears in 63. (NOS?)

Was going to go for a Harmony Meteor but there was a strip joint in town that had a House Band called 'Coppertone Review'We used to sneak in the back room and watch and listen til they kicked us out...The Guitarist wailed on this guitar and I just had to have one....fell i love with that color and body style (1300).I was 14 at the time.Have a Jimi album with a photo of him playing one upside down.

These guitars and Silvertone amps are fetching some outrageous prices now.This was my first amp, bought a few months later for my birthday...amp was pretty powerful for it's size....people are snatching them up for the studio, comparable ( so they say) to the old Fender Champs.

If I find a decent 1300 I will pick it up partly because of nostalgia and partially because it was/is a great sounding guitar...loved that lipstick PU.

post-67293-060396300 1417644357_thumb.jpg

post-67293-069620900 1417645011_thumb.jpg

biggretsch6118ltvDSCN5237_zps7e80a36b.jpg

I'm in Clarkuss camp in that I've never bought a guitar because of it's color, but each guitar I bought I wanted in a particular color. That said, that Green Gretsch Annie is IMHO one of the best looking guitars ever made and I'd buy one in a heartbeat just for the color.

New member And new to playing\learning the guitar.... After starting out on a solid black Epi LP-100 ( just to make sure I would maintain an interest and warrant an upgrade ).... I just picked up this new piece yesterday and Yes it WAS the color that was the deciding Factor ;) Closest to the shade of red i was looking for...

0da22bb0-7cb7-4d7c-8460-946aa8daa05c_zpsk1n30ckb.jpg

642bb373-e7d2-4a27-83ff-7b113c763dc0_zps5fiv0qta.jpg

New member And new to playing\learning the guitar.... After starting out on a solid black Epi LP-100 ( just to make sure I would maintain an interest and warrant an upgrade ).... I just picked up this new piece yesterday and Yes it WAS the color that was the deciding Factor ;) Closest to the shade of red i was looking for...

IMG_20141210_200844_zpsb0ya9igj.jpg

IMG_20141210_200817_zpssnifokv2.jpg

Royale Red? looks great...msp_thumbup.gif

Archived