Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Delivers

skilsaw

In January this year I bought a 2013 LP Standard from Long and McQuade, the biggest Gibson dealer in Canada.

There was something wrong with the nut because when the B string was in tune, the C in the first fret was sharp. I put the problem on a couple forums and the advice was get a setup and file the B groove in the nut.

Long and McQaude had it set up for me but the problem persisted. I was still unhappy so my salesman arranged to replace the guitar with an identical one. It only took one week. I'm really happy and impressed with the service.

Yes, there is a good reason to pay Gibson their asking price at a dealership.

In January this year I bought a 2013 LP Standard from Long and McQuade, the biggest Gibson dealer in Canada.

There was something wrong with the nut because when the B string was in tune, the C in the first fret was sharp. I put the problem on a couple forums and the advice was get a setup and file the B groove in the nut.

Long and McQaude had it set up for me but the problem persisted. I was still unhappy so my salesman arranged to replace the guitar with an identical one. It only took one week. I'm really happy and impressed with the service.

Yes, there is a good reason to pay Gibson their asking price at a dealership.

First, Congratulations on the new LP!!! [thumbup][thumbup]

Second, sorry that you had an issue, but happy that it got straightened out to your satisfaction. :)

Third, we need pics of your new guitar, or it didn't happen... [wink][lol]

After playing it a half hour in the store and testing the frets with a tuner, I was happy.

Then last night the G# on the G string is a little sharp. I could scream! Swore, but that didn't help.

This is not Long and McQuades fault. They've already replace the guitar once for this problem.

I'll listen to it for a couple of days. It is most notable in an E chord. I might be back to L&M again. Rats.

After playing it a half hour in the store and testing the frets with a tuner, I was happy.

Then last night the G# on the G string is a little sharp. I could scream! Swore, but that didn't help.

This is not Long and McQuades fault. They've already replace the guitar once for this problem.

I'll listen to it for a couple of days. It is most notable in an E chord. I might be back to L&M again. Rats.

How long have you been playing?

rct

As I said in one of your other posts,,,

Do not press the string down to the fret board.

I have a 2001 and today I was working with my set list for Saturday, we have a lot of capo work.Although I'll be using my acoustic I wanted to play my Paul.

When I went Capo2 with a strong spring capo, all my notes were sharp to varying degrees. I either re-tuned the guitar or I put the capo right on top of the fret.

Has to do with the height of the fret and pushing the string all the way down will pull the string sharp.

Don't press on the strings that hard

Mate,LP's are not like strats and tele's,you dont need to hammer down the string,if you do ,you will will get # notes.

I presume the guitar is properly intonated at the 12th fret position, the nut has the proper slot heights, and the action is not too high.

Others have mentioned to use a lighter touch when fretting to avoid sharps. Do you have any problem with your other guitars? Most players know the limitations of using the common straight frets that are considered "non-temperament".

If you are one of the very few with pitch perfect ears you will find it annoying to be off somewhat; because straight frets are just a compromise to "true" intonation. If you have a tuner with "point" readings, tune each string a a few "points" below the open strings. This is a compromise to make actual picking/strumming to be more pleasant. If I can find the link, I'll post the "points" values. However, each guitar has it's own "points" deviation when tuning.

Most players and audience live with the compromise using straight frets... and get use to it. Otherwise, your other option is to get a neck with true temperament frets.

More importantly...play and have fun! msp_smile.gif

If I were you I'd find a good luthier or a teacher and have them check it out. I'll bet there's no problem with either guitar. If it's a $2,500 guitar, it deserves to have a chance. You don't want to go and be returning guitars with no problems. If you can't tell what's the matter with it yourself, then you're probably not qualified to say there's something wrong in the first place. Have a real luthier check it. Somebody you can trust.

If they find that the guitar is ok, then you are going to have to learn to adjust your fingering pressure and gain control of the lateral forces that are involved when your fretting stuff down near the first fret.

It's possible that the strings are a little high at the nut, but probably not much if any. The PLEK machine that they use in the factory is really good at getting the frets right and cutting the nut. There's tons of people playing stock Gibsons right out of the box with no problems. There's almost no way you could have gotten two guitars in a row with badly cut nuts.

I play stuff sharp and flat and all over the place and my guitars are set up perfectly.

I gave it a day and talked about it with my guitar teacher.

He took the guitar and went through the first couple of frets on each string.

His ear couldn't hear a problem, and his tuner was reading nice round notes.

I can't replicate the problem so the sounds last night were some kind of aberation.

I'm glad I didn't storm into Long & Mcquade and throw a tantrum.

All is cool.

you'll find as you are learning you're playing slower and hearing all sort of mistakes you make.

I still make lots of mistakes but I've been playing live every Saturday 2-3hrs in a choir since last Sept and with me playing at a much faster tempo you can't really hear the mistakes (that badly ; I hear them) unless I play a really off note.

but even some muted strings during barre chords are not noticeable especially when you are playing faster the sounds blend in.

Just a slight up or down pressure on a string can throw you sharp and you might not even know you're doing that when fretting.

I have had these issues with guitars when I put my 10-52 strings.

This is due to increased tension. The neck has bowed on 3 of 4 of my guitars including two 2014 Gibsons. The most revealing is the sharp notes on frets 1-5. Included with your Gibson is a beginners guide to setup and a wrench (or 2). Gibson is very easy, honestly, the truss rod is a cut above, the wrench fits even with the strings tight on most 3 per side headstocks.

As you begin to add tension you may find the nut is slack loose. I found one of the Gibson completely slack. It may have had some tension at the factory but the 10-52s changed that. As I added twists I kept telling myself I am going to make this play like a Gibson so I flattened the neck. At first 1-5 were affected and 6-12 were still bowed. Continue and 6-12 will come up.

Checking for fret buzz may take you back to the bridge, sometimes they're too low. Tiny adjustments by you, bridges require string slacking, and you will have a 'players' guitar.

Its impossible to get this done at the factory due to humidity and temperature, string guages add to the mystery.

You dealt with L&M hence why the exchange worked in your favour.

This has very little to do with Gibson and everything to do with Long & McQuade keeping its customers happy.

Especially those paying over 2500 for an LP these days.

You dealt with L&M hence why the exchange worked in your favour.

This has very little to do with Gibson and everything to do with Long & McQuade keeping its customers happy.

Especially those paying over 2500 for an LP these days.

Nice guys. The first guitar will be most likely back up on the wall as a scratch and dent after they check the setup and lick their wounds a little.

Archived