Gibson Brands Forums

It Followed Me Home, Honest! (NGD)

Parabar

Yesterday I went into a music store looking for a headphone adapter. GAS has been in remission for a long time now, but on the wall was a 1996 Peerless-made Epiphone Emperor Regent in the rare Antique Sunburst finish. (In recent years, before being discontinued, these were only available in Natural, and many of the older sunbursts were a three tone --- black on the outside, cherry, then warm gold. The Antique Sunburst fades from cocoa brown to orangey gold).

I tried it out, and the thing just rang acoustically. It was on consignment from a San Francisco jazz guitarist, and had obviously been well cared for. The original rosewood bridge had been upgraded to a heavy duty tune-o-matic, and a set of nice flatwounds was on it. There was a small finish crack at the heel of the neck (not very noticeable), and the strap pin had been moved from the back of the neck heel to the side of the neck heel, but otherwise no dings or scratches. Action was sweet and low, and I knew I was in trouble. I plugged it in, and there was that warm rich tone, but with extra definition from the floating mini humbucker. At $450 including a good hardshell case, a cable, coupla straps, an extra set of flatwound strings, and a brass gizmo that clamps onto the headstock (allegedly to add sustain, but I haven't checked it out yet), I couldn't say no. The pictures don't do it justice, but I gotta put 'em up anyway.

EmpRegFront_zpsg3ntyks2.jpg

EmpRegBack_zpsqmmlmsme.jpg

EmpReg%20Right_zpsydctghmp.jpg

EmpRegLeft_zpsesqgolfk.jpg

HNGD to you!!!!

I love's it!!! I bet it is nice. I'd really like to find an arch-top acoustic only and try out (and not have to drop $5K to own it). What a find this was esp. for the $$$ investment

Have fun with it!

Aster

Nice looking guitar.

Interesting place for the front strap button. Not seen that done before.

Does it get in your way in that position?

There is a reason why I ask. My Yamaha AE12 has never had a front button. I bought it from a bloke who told me it was his Uncle's guitar (who had died) and had owned since new in 1974. He had always played it with a neck cord (just rhythm) rather than strap.I have always just played mine sitting but it does need a proper strap and I naturally just thought back of the heel ES style.

So I'd be interested to hear of your experience.

I'd really like to find an arch-top acoustic only and try out (and not have to drop $5K to own it).

The Guild A-150 Savoy is priced new at $1,150. Occasionally I've seen them going for around $800 used. This guitar is part of their Newark St. series, launched in 2013.

Arched solid-spruce and X-braced top, with a very nice DeArmond single-coil floating pickup. Made in Korea with excellent build quality, it comes in blonde or sunburst (I picked up a blonde this past January). Sweetwater usually has both versions in stock.

Imho, a best-buy in this narrow & typically expensive category.

Very nice find! [thumbup] It sounds a bit different compared to your Broadway no?

Yes --- different from both Broadways (Elitist and Korean Peerless). The Emperor Regent is much more resonant acoustically, and the floating pickup sounds different from the neck humbucker on the Broadways. The tone control has a lot of sweep, from full mud to quite bright, and in between is that warm honey molasses jazz tone.

No problems with the strap button, it's out of the way of my fingers even at the end of the fingerboard.

No problems with the strap button, it's out of the way of my fingers even at the end of the fingerboard.

Cheers, I will give the location some serious consideration.

Congrats! Those are excellent guitars and one of the best Epiphone has made in the last few years. It's too bad they discontinued that model. I had one of those in the natural finish recently. It was a 2005 Peerless model. Very well made and I really loved the neck and it played like butter and I even would play straight into a PA system with it but... it just wasn't for me. I don't play a lot of jazz and for the music I mostly play I need a solid body guitar. I sold it about a month ago for the same thing I paid for it a few months before. These guitars really hold their value.

I am now on the look out for an Epiphone 1960 Anniversary Les Paul Standard or the 1959 re-issue that Epiphone produced a few years back.

I have a 2010 in Natural, this was just before Epi stopped making them.

I'm very glad I pulled that trigger when I did, because I had been wanting to pick one up for quite a while.

Great guitars for the money for sure.

Archived