Gibson Brands Forums

New Case Design

58 Relic

Caltons are pretty cool, and I have never owned one, so grain of salt alert, but the Hiscox Pro II is really fantastic (provided it fits your guitar, which it should, unless it's a weird guitar like my 7-28), and is perhaps 1/3 the price (not sure what a Calton costs, assuming $600, but maybe they're more). The Caltons also weigh a ton. They are kind of built on different philosophy. The Calton is meant to be a tank. The Hiscox is meant to keep the guitar from moving, absorb all shock/impact, and provide really good crush/puncture prevention.

If money was no object, I might go with the Calton, but I think I'd probably stick with the Hiscox Pro II.

My new designed made in Austin Texas Calton is very light in weight because of the materials used in the shell construction.

The basic retail starting price for a dread style guitar is around 995.00

I am positive that the Hiscox cases are very nice indeed, well worth the money spent I'm sure.

One of the many reasons I bought the Calton was because it's latches presented no damaging issues and are NTSB approved.

The bad thing for me is when I bought mine the chip was additional, now it's included.

I think another really good brand is called an Ameritage ? Not sure of the spelling.

Superior also makes a Fiberglass shell weatherproof case for around 200.00 that are not bad either.

All of these exceed what Gibson provides for their instruments.

First world problems I guess. Are you guys really that klutzy and ham-fisted with your acoustics that this is really a problem?! In all honesty though, I do agree with you all to some extent, but just accept that this is pretty much how most latches are on a lot of guitar cases, and can't say I've ever lost sleep at night worrying about it (I'm sure now that I say this, tomorrow my J45 will be damaged in this way just because I opened my mouth about it!) I think the latches that fender used (still use?) for their American Standard cases were nice as far as not having sharp edges and being "damage-proof".

post-62572-088844900 1443995919_thumb.jpg

post-62572-093432900 1443995928_thumb.jpg

the Hiscox Pro II is really fantastic (provided it fits your guitar, which it should, unless it's a weird guitar like my 7-28), and is perhaps 1/3 the price (not sure what a Calton costs, assuming $600, but maybe they're more).

Yeah, as lucille64 said, they start around $1000. I looked at them when I got the Hiscox and just couldn't justify spending that much when I could get the Hiscox at $250.

Honestly, I never gave a second thought to guitar damage from the latches. I got the case so I could bring my J-50 to Europe. It was perfect for that, no problems whatsoever in the checked luggage from Newark to Athens via Heathrow. I wouldn't even consider bringing a guitar on an airplane in Gibson case.

I wish the Hiscox had a TSA approved latch, or at least they could have provided a hasp so you could use a TSA approved padlock. The next time I travel, I will probably install my own hasp of some kind. Last time, this was my TSA-approved solution. :)

case06.jpg

Yeah, as lucille64 said, they start around $1000. I looked at them when I got the Hiscox and just couldn't justify spending that much when I could get the Hiscox at $250.

Honestly, I never gave a second thought to guitar damage from the latches. I got the case so I could bring my J-50 to Europe. It was perfect for that, no problems whatsoever in the checked luggage from Newark to Athens via Heathrow. I wouldn't even consider bringing a guitar on an airplane in Gibson case.

I wish the Hiscox had a TSA approved latch, or at least they could have provided a hasp so you could use a TSA approved padlock. The next time I travel, I will probably install my own hasp of some kind. Last time, this was my TSA-approved solution. :)

case06.jpg

I am curious about your TSA-approved solution! What is that, and what is the purpose? If someone were going to steal your guitar, would they not just steal the whole case and unlock it later?

That's what I worry about, is I'll check it, and while I'm stuck convincing someone for the 100th time that I have money and do not plan to work in the UK, someone will just simply wander right in the unguarded doors, take my guitar from the the checked baggage, and walk back out the way they came. Or hell, maybe they'll do that right here in my hometown on the way back while I'm waiting to get off the plane. Airport security blows. 10,000 people ready to pounce on you to tell you not to bring water on the plane but absolutely no one even giving half a crap if someone walks in and takes your luggage while you're messing about.

It's a a locking luggage strap. It serves the same purpose as the lock on a guitar case. It also has a little LED that goes on if the TSA opens the guitar (which they didn't). Obviously it doesn't prevent someone from stealing the whole thing. That's what insurance if for. :)

This, Dan-

photo-30_zpsrlbphnd3.jpg

Look at enough old guitars, and you will see some damage from the latch on the lower bout. Compare this latch design with the latch on the Hiscox in Boyd's photo.

My bad experience was actually with the other part of the latch. I somehow bumped my guitar into the sharp corner on one of the latches that was sticking out at 90 degrees to the side of the case. I now fold them all the way down so they are flat against the case when it's open.

I am not blaming Gibson for anything here. I think their cases do a fine job of protecting guitars. It was my own carelessness that caused the damage. But it would seem like better design if their latch ends were roundeded instead of having sharp corners.

IMG_5205_zpsgdtnnhjb.jpg

It's a a locking luggage strap. It serves the same purpose as the lock on a guitar case. It also has a little LED that goes on if the TSA opens the guitar (which they didn't). Obviously it doesn't prevent someone from stealing the whole thing. That's what insurance if for. :)

There may come a time when I need to... slowly... relocate all my guitars via air travel in this manner, so I'm super interested. So basically it is to kind of dissuade TSA from opening it, and then if they do, you'll know about it at least, and if there's damage, you can alert the insurance outfit that the TSA opened it? How much is insurance? I seriously worry all the time, wondering how I'm going to do this when/if the time comes that I move across the ocean to a different country... I think each extra "bag" one checks is $250, so I thought maybe check one, carry-on another. (There's a fairly new law that says if there's room on the plane, instruments get priority. Otherwise, they get "gate-checked", which is probably still better than checked baggage.)

There may come a time when I need to... slowly... relocate all my guitars via air travel in this manner, so I'm super interested. So basically it is to kind of dissuade TSA from opening it, and then if they do, you'll know about it at least, and if there's damage, you can alert the insurance outfit that the TSA opened it? How much is insurance? I seriously worry all the time, wondering how I'm going to do this when/if the time comes that I move across the ocean to a different country... I think each extra "bag" one checks is $250, so I thought maybe check one, carry-on another. (There's a fairly new law that says if there's room on the plane, instruments get priority. Otherwise, they get "gate-checked", which is probably still better than checked baggage.)

You can't stop the TSA from opening luggage. They have that right. If you provide a TSA approved lock, it means they have a key and can open it and relock it without damaging it. If you don't have a TSA approved lock and you lock it, they are within their rights to bust open the lock with a pry bar.

You can't stop the TSA from opening luggage. They have that right. If you provide a TSA approved lock, it means they have a key and can open it and relock it without damaging it. If you don't have a TSA approved lock and you lock it, they are within their rights to bust open the lock with a pry bar.

I get that, but what's the point of the lock then? [confused]

So basically it is to kind of dissuade TSA from opening it, and then if they do, you'll know about it at least, and if there's damage, you can alert the insurance outfit that the TSA opened it? How much is insurance?

Wow Jesse, I never thought that deeply about it. :)

I was mainly worried that something could cause the latches to get opened. That strap holds the case closed firmly and can be opened/closed by the TSA if they want to. And it was cheap.

As I recall, my homeowners insurance had a limit and a deductible for this kind of thing. But my American Express card served as secondary insurance that probably would have made up the difference. Either way, I was bringing 2008 J-50 that cost $1500. It wouldn't be the end of the world if that was a total loss. Don't think I would bring my 1965 J-50 on an airplane.

Wow Jesse, I never thought that deeply about it. :)

I was mainly worried that something could cause the latches to get opened. That strap holds the case closed firmly and can be opened/closed by the TSA if they want to. And it was cheap.

As I recall, my homeowners insurance had a limit and a deductible for this kind of thing. But my American Express card served as secondary insurance that probably would have made up the difference. Either way, I was bringing 2008 J-50 that cost $1500. It wouldn't be the end of the world if that was a total loss. Don't think I would bring my 1965 J-50 on an airplane.

Not sure I'm going to have much choice. :( :o Couldn't find an appropriate panic face emoticon.

I know some people put tape on all the latches to keep them from accidentally coming open. Seems like maybe that's not needed with a Hiscox, but maybe it could still happen!

A case is generally a good thing....

I was just playing my old L-0, packed up, leaned down to put the guitar in the case on the floor...careful of latches.....shut lid, latches, picked up case to put in my guitar rack, but I started too low with my 'swing', clipped a mic stand, turned around, swore, then clipped a chair and the door lightly! All fine in a case, but without...well, 3 dings maybe.

BluesKing777.

For normal luggage, I suppose it might give someone peace of mind to think that the luggage handlers can't unlock your luggage (that's crazy) or maybe it just helps insure that the bag doesn't open accidentally. I never lock luggage and I never put anything in my checked luggage of any value whatsoever so unless someone wants my underwear, there is no particular reason to steal anything.

For a guitar case, the only reason I can think of to lock it would be help insure that all the latches don't accidentally come undone and have the guitar fall out of the case.

Checked baggage generally gets X-rayed. If TSA sees something they don't like, they will open the piece of luggage. If you have a TSA lock on it, they will open it without having to break open the regular factory lock.

On a related note, I travel with a small carbon fiber guitar that fits into the overhead bin in its gig bag. For some reason, the guitar was often flagged by TSA at security, and opened for inspection. Finally, a helpful TSA agent (there are such things) told me it was because of the 9-volt battery used to power the internal pickup. It seems that 9-volt batteries in unusual applications like this are a flag, as that battery type is often used in triggering devices.

I have since removed the battery, and the guitar has never received any further scrutiny. It may be coincidence.

A case is generally a good thing....

I was just playing my old L-0, packed up, leaned down to put the guitar in the case on the floor...careful of latches.....shut lid, latches, picked up case to put in my guitar rack, but I started too low with my 'swing', clipped a mic stand, turned around, swore, then clipped a chair and the door lightly! All fine in a case, but without...well, 3 dings maybe.

BluesKing777.

Guitars and cases both sure are unwieldy in the home. I think my surroundings have gotten more damage than my guitars or cases. I did bonk my Hummingbird on something the other day. I thought, GREAT, first ding already! But I can't find it. Maybe torrefied tops are sturdier and harder (although I'm sure more brittle, so if it got a really true, good whack, it would be a bigger deal than if soft sitka did).

For normal luggage, I suppose it might give someone peace of mind to think that the luggage handlers can't unlock your luggage (that's crazy) or maybe it just helps insure that the bag doesn't open accidentally. I never lock luggage and I never put anything in my checked luggage of any value whatsoever so unless someone wants my underwear, there is no particular reason to steal anything.

For a guitar case, the only reason I can think of to lock it would be help insure that all the latches don't accidentally come undone and have the guitar fall out of the case.

It's rough. I'm not sure what my alternative is. I don't like the idea of mailing guitars to England (and potentially paying taxes on something I have already owned for years), and I don't like the idea of putting them in one of those overseas boat crate moving service things. Maybe one at a time as carry-ons over the years is my best bet rather than risking ever checking one.

Checked baggage generally gets X-rayed. If TSA sees something they don't like, they will open the piece of luggage. If you have a TSA lock on it, they will open it without having to break open the regular factory lock.

On a related note, I travel with a small carbon fiber guitar that fits into the overhead bin in its gig bag. For some reason, the guitar was often flagged by TSA at security, and opened for inspection. Finally, a helpful TSA agent (there are such things) told me it was because of the 9-volt battery used to power the internal pickup. It seems that 9-volt batteries in unusual applications like this are a flag, as that battery type is often used in triggering devices.

I have since removed the battery, and the guitar has never received any further scrutiny. It may be coincidence.

No, I bet you're right! A 9v battery with wires coming off it would be a trigger, I'd think. I'll remember that if I fly with my J-15, or any other guitar with a battery in it.

I think you're right about the battery, this has been discussed before. When I took my 2008 J-50, I had not yet removed the original pickup. But I did pull the battery and the guitar was the only thing in the case, nothing was in the storage compartment. Thought that would reduce the chance of TSA thinking something was suspicious.

Archived