Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Dark

Last time Gibson came up with a new artistic pick guard - I believe - it was "The Swallow". It was panned by 90% of those who saw it, and an otherwise really good guitar wound up on the chopping block. I'd guess anyone who has one now - or at least a few years from now, will discard that cartoonish p/g and buy a aftermarket tigerstripe one.

But - I agree completely. If you are changing the body - you are creating a new guitar. Say it's "Inspired by Hummingbird" but give it a different model name. And, while I'm up on my soap box - my pet peeve - rename the Hummingbird Pro.

I should get away from my computer NOW!!! The 'bird on the Pro guard should be wearing stiletto heels, a mini skirt, fishnet stockings, a halter top, and 1980s style 'big' hair....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, no - this is gonna be awful: it has to happen, though, or it'll be stuck in my mind all day. The Great Bird Name Audition.... In no particular order: pelican, owl, crane, woodpecker, pigeon, vulture, turkey, turkey buzzard, peacock, ostrich, auk, penguin, goose, plover, albatross, duck, flamingo.... someone else lend a hand here? Or just let it expire naturally?

The Raven!

Full Edgar Allen Gothic connotation......

Or

Go The Ravens.....

BluesKing777.

Last time Gibson came up with a new artistic pick guard - I believe - it was "The Swallow". It was panned by 90% of those who saw it, and an otherwise really good guitar wound up on the chopping block. I'd guess anyone who has one now - or at least a few years from now, will discard that cartoonish p/g and buy a aftermarket tigerstripe one.

But - I agree completely. If you are changing the body - you are creating a new guitar. Say it's "Inspired by Hummingbird" but give it a different model name. And, while I'm up on my soap box - my pet peeve - rename the Hummingbird Pro.

Any pictures of this "swallow" ??

Well, I may call my black Hummingbird copy The Raven now....

Something has happened to it - sitting in the 'decoy guitar for thieves' position in the drafty hallway has dried it out and the awful poisonous smell it had and....after all the black Hummingbird/Dark Hummingbird talk here, I grabbed it and.....it is sounding good. I last played it in early in the New Year to see if I was taking it on holidays and I put it straight back in the case. But it must be in a good mood now. (Just after I got it, I took it to my guitar tech because the tuners were on upside down! I got some Grover Deluxe Tulips! And a setup. And put my DeArmond pickup on.)

BluesKing777.

Are we talking about the Sparrow here?

sparrow_zps2h3cio1b.jpg

Are we talking about the Sparrow here?

Uakkzz, , , gave me a shock there, but it had to be shown.

As we know it came in burst too

http://www.infobarrel.com/media/image/159544_max.jpg

In my eyes, not the way to go. .

Then again, taste is free.

Absolute respect to the designer of this guard - who perhaps still sometimes lurks in here.

Uakkzz, , , gave me a shock there, but it had to be shown.

As we know it came in burst too

http://www.infobarrel.com/media/image/159544_max.jpg

In my eyes, not the way to go. .

Then again, taste is free.

Absolute respect to the designer of this guard - who perhaps still sometimes lurks in here.

As we said back when this came out, it is an interesting guitar: square-shoulder, long-scale, adi and rosewood dreadnought. Hmm, that sounds like the description of a guitar that could be around for 80+ years with the right name on it.....

I agree that the Sparrow could have been a long term guitar. It wasn't so much the name that got to me, it was the linear pick guard design. Might fit-in with the newer/modern style like Collings or Taylor, but not the traditional image that Gibson has so efficiently promoted for decades. They had one at GC near me for a short time. I played it and it was a beast of a guitar. If they'd given the Sparrow a more traditional looking pick guard design it might well have flown......I really do like the looks of this new dark and blackish burst guitar. However, call it The Raven as suggested and put a couple of ravens on a dark and cloudy pick guard. That would be cool. AND, don't put the name of some cardboard cowboy on it.

Would Gibson Blackbird do, , , mmmm, maybe.

And then we'll need an alternative p-guard motif design too. Not too arty - not too kitsch - held back folklore in slightly vintage style.

That would be something.

Blackbird.

Basically, a regular hummingbird with this dark burst, maybe a deep translucent stain on back and sides (or maybe darkburst B&sides--sort of in OJ fashion), black tulip tuners, ebony board and bridge, and a to-be-determined pickguard design with input from Em7.

Wicked.

That pick guard is something I could get interested in, providing it's not just a design painted on top of the guard. Of course, in all probability we're just "wishin' and hopin'." Love to see it, but I'll be shocked if Gibson does anything aside from using the bird and J45 in all kinds of variations.

Here's a less serious second go - the other had a very busy foliage and an echo of 'grim reaper' about it, which was too heavy. .

Step two ~Pick%20guard%20raven2%20it.jpg

Whether our new design is a Blackbird or Raven--and I prefer Blackbird if it is essentially a cosmetically-different Hummingbird, just to carry the "bird" suffix--we might consider adding a crescent moon in some form to the pickguard.

The Blackbird "sings in the dead of night", which is a good thing for a guitar to do. Poe's raven doesn't sing, but he does show up at night. He's also not a very likeable character, since his response to every question posed is "Nevermore". Poe's narrator decided the raven was a "thing of evil".

Now, in fairness, I may have considered guitars "things of evil" from time to time, particularly when they thwart my attempts to play something. I don't want a guitar that says "Nevermore" to me every time I pick it up, but that's just me. But I do want one that can sing in the dead of night.

Probably good reason its been removed entirely, coz as we say in Australia.... Its a shocker!

The Raven sounds fab otherwise.

The Raven.

Evermore! Evermore!

Congrats to J45nick and Em7 for being able to find a picture of the Sparrow. I Gooogled the heck out of it and searched Gibson.com but all traces seem to have been removed.

Archived