Gibson Brands Forums

Original Bridge Pins for 2014 J35!

SouthwestGuy

I recently purchased a used 2014 J35 and it has replacement bridge pins, among other things. Where can I get the original white plastic pins that Gibson uses on that model? I've looked everywhere and at the Gibson website and I can't find the exact ones Gibson uses. I would like to return the guitar back to stock. Any help would be appreciated!

Okay, just wanted to know if anyone knew where I could get them. And yes, the previous owner put a fancy colosi saddle, Which did not fit well and leaned too far forward, and also bone pins. I happen to like my J45 stock and wanted the same with my J35. You also need to know the proper taper, and the Gibson pins also have a certain look. I wasnt looking for opinions, just some helpful answers maybe.

You'll likely have to go to a Gibson dealer for correct parts and may even have to have any new stock saddle adjusted via a set up at the shop that gets your parts. It may give them more incentive to help.

These have the 'look'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Guitar-Bridge-Pins-Solid-Black-New-2-SETS-OF-6-12-Free-Ship-To-US-/361832910856?hash=item543eec1008:m:mgSs4WMRENJU2Y3nrowayBw

I was wanting some replacement pins for my J50, so a few months ago I called Gibson customer service. The Gibson acoustic rep I spoke with told me they are currently using Graph Tech Tusq bridge pins (the "Traditional" ones on this page):

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq/tusq-bridge-end-pins

These are what my 2016 Hummingbird has.

He did not know a source for the plastic pins that came on my J50. As jedzep posted, you can find some that have the "look", and I found these:

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/Bridge-Pins/Acoustic-Guitar-Plastic-Bridge-Pins-Set-of-6

They certainly look like the ones on my J50, but I haven't ordered yet. The price is right though.

I have 4 sets of the original Tusq pins from my 2016 Gibsons I bought last year. I can sell as many as you need.

The Tusq pins they started using are not the same pins that were used on the OP's 2014. In 2014 they were using plastic, and the tops were more rounded and bright white. The Tusq pins have a more oval/flatter top and and more of an off-white shade. Nit picking, yes, but noticeable when you have them side by side, and more importantly, the OP seems super specific to exactly what was OEM at the time for his particular guitar.

Okay, just wanted to know if anyone knew where I could get them. And yes, the previous owner put a fancy colosi saddle, Which did not fit well and leaned too far forward, and also bone pins. I happen to like my J45 stock and wanted the same with my J35. You also need to know the proper taper, and the Gibson pins also have a certain look. I wasnt looking for opinions, just some helpful answers maybe.

Opinion retracted - none of my damn business anyway.

I've got a set of OEM pins that I will sell for $5 to cover postage. Let me know and we will work out the details. I can empathize with wanting your J-35 all original, but I installed bone when I changed strings the first time.

I've got a set of OEM pins that I will sell for $5 to cover postage. Let me know and we will work out the details. I can empathize with wanting your J-35 all original, but I installed bone when I changed strings the first time.

I went to bone on all my acoustics as well. They make a great tone.

You at least have to keep bone at the saddle. Pin material hardly matters as they aren't vibration/resonance conductors.

He says the bone saddle leans, so I'd ditch it and get a new bone saddle, or get a stock Tusq saddle. The guy who had it before him most likely sanded the saddle too thin and was sloppy when it was installed.

Cool, thanks for all the info. I will look into all of your suggestions. Luckily the guy left the original Tusq saddle in the case, so I popped it in and it"s great. I just don't dig the bone pins with ebony dots he put in the bridge, so I will look into the ones your suggested. Thanks!

Cool, thanks for all the info. I will look into all of your suggestions. Luckily the guy left the original Tusq saddle in the case, so I popped it in and it"s great. I just don't dig the bone pins with ebony dots he put in the bridge, so I will look into the ones your suggested. Thanks!

Goodbye....

You at least have to keep bone at the saddle. Pin material hardly matters as they aren't vibration/resonance conductors.

Pin material does matter. The denser the material, more of the string's energy is passed to the soundboard. Harder pins anchors the ball end more securely than a softer one.

Not to my ear. Calibration of that exists only in a sound lab.

You had the theory that steel strings regained tensile strength after having failed, if I recall. You can't sell me this one, brother. I swap bone pins around on my old acoustics and there is zero difference. Of course, I have one bum ear.

Not to my ear. Calibration of that exists only in a sound lab.

You had the theory that steel strings regained tensile strength after having failed, if I recall. You can't sell me this one, brother. I swap bone pins around on my old acoustics and there is zero difference. Of course, I have one bum ear.

You don't seem to be recalling any theory of mine accurately. A simple test can be done comparing bone to plastic, put 2 of the same size strings on a guitar, one with the plastic pin the other with a bone pin. Pluck them and listen, the difference in tone is quite obvious. One thing to note though, the guitar must be a "real" guitar, cheaper guitars will not show much difference with their compromised stiff construction.

Archived