Gibson Brands Forums

1968 GAS

uncle fester

I've got the daily driver taken care of - want to begin the search for something with a few more years on it. If I was looking for something from 1968, regular scale, wide neck and big frets... any recommendations on a good place to start looking?

Yeah tough call. About 10 years ago I owned a 1967 LG-1 and was selling a 1968 LG-1 on consignment for someone. The '68 had the belly-down bridge and likely the heavier bracing (never looked actually) and 'on paper' should have been the lesser of the two....but it sounded a lot better.

Bumblebees aren't supposed to be able to fly but they do. Ergo I am suspect of conventional knowledge.

'68 was just a theme to go for - for now i want to stay in the Gibson family.

I feel a good plan B is to start educating myself in the realm of 'something older than me' in salvageable fixer upper state. Not work I would ever do myself, but give me an opportunity to learn how to identify salvageable type guitars etc... and hopefully develop a relationship with a good luthier, and maybe land with something really cool for not an over the top price.

All just fantasy thoughts right now - but nothing wrong with that.

'68 was just a theme to go for - for now i want to stay in the Gibson family.

All just fantasy thoughts right now - but nothing wrong with that.

As others said, dive below 1965. The 68's were heavies.

If you want vintage Gibson, an affordable yet formidable guitar from the first half of the 60's would be a Country Western or a J-45/J-50.

Enjoy the hunt and keep dreaming. Ask the Board if anything puzzles you about a potential target out there.

Choices are pretty limited when you put wide neck, Gibson and 1968 together. As ksdaddy pointed out you are pretty much looking at a 12 string or the Folksinger which has a flat board which is not to the liking of some. A 12 string is always worth considering. There is a certain itch only a 12 string can scratch.

Choices are pretty limited when you put wide neck, Gibson and 1968 together. As ksdaddy pointed out you are pretty much looking at a 12 string or the Folksinger which has a flat board which is not to the liking of some. A 12 string is always worth considering. There is a certain itch only a 12 string can scratch.

The problem I've found is that once you scratch that itch, it pretty much goes away...

Archived