Gibson Brands Forums

Gold right-angle Switchcraft switch?

Supersonic

So, I'd like to upgrade my G-400 Deluxe with a Switchcraft toggle switch and jack. I found a cool looking SG upgrade kit on "guitarpartsresource.com". It comes with CTS pots, Switchcraft right angle toggle switch and jack, orange drop caps, ect. My SG has gold hardware so I emailed them and asked them if I could get the jack and switch in gold and they emailed me back saying "can't get a switchcraft right angle gold switch. exceedingly rare". It kinda bummed me out since a silver one wouldn't look right on an axe with gold hardware. Are these really that hard to find? If anyone knows where to get one, I'd sure appreciate the info...

So, I'd like to upgrade my G-400 Deluxe with a Switchcraft toggle switch and jack. I found a cool looking SG upgrade kit on "guitarpartsresource.com". It comes with CTS pots, Switchcraft right angle toggle switch and jack, orange drop caps, ect. My SG has gold hardware so I emailed them and asked them if I could get the jack and switch in gold and they emailed me back saying "can't get a switchcraft right angle gold switch. exceedingly rare". It kinda bummed me out since a silver one wouldn't look right on an axe with gold hardware. Are these really that hard to find? If anyone knows where to get one, I'd sure appreciate the info...

Try Stewmac

Be VERY careful buying parts from StewMac. If the packaging and advertising does not say "Gibson" or "Switchcraft" (in the case of the switch in question), it will be Asian repro crap.

Thanks for the heads up. I've never bought anything from them before.

Be VERY careful buying parts from StewMac. If the packaging and advertising does not say "Gibson" or "Switchcraft" (in the case of the switch in question), it will be Asian repro crap.

Agreed. They have some nice stuff, but you're often better off buying parts from elsewhere, like Allparts...or eBay...

It may be that you'll need to buy this: http://www.allparts.com/Switchcraft-Right-Angle-Toggle-p/ep-4365-000.htm?click=19167

and put a gold Imperial nut on it.

Trawled around for an hour, that guy was right Supersonic101, they are difficult to find.

You may have to settle for a nickel one and buy a gold nut and washer set separately.

+1...Checked every resource I could think of and every dealer I have ever dealt with...

Zip, Zero, Nada. At least in Switchcraft which is all I was searching for.

Willy

Well thanks a ton to everyone that scoured the web trying to find one of these things. I really appreciate it.

I guess I'll just have to stick with the Epi switch and hope it holds up. :rolleyes: UNLESS, someone knows of another US manufacturer that makes these and are of similar quality to Switchcraft? I don't see the point in getting some Asian import, it would probably be the same or worse than the Epi one.

Well thanks a ton to everyone that scoured the web trying to find one of these things. I really appreciate it.

I guess I'll just have to stick with the Epi switch and hope it holds up. :rolleyes: UNLESS, someone knows of another US manufacturer that makes these and are of similar quality to Switchcraft? I don't see the point in getting some Asian import, it would probably be the same or worse than the Epi one.

Read my post #11 above, I told you how to solve your problem. Electro-plating is how ALL guitar parts become gold (whether Gibson, Switchcraft, or YOU have it done). Put a little time, effort and investment into your own custom part, and you'll forever be able to take pride in the effort you made.

Agreed. They have some nice stuff, but you're often better off buying parts from elsewhere, like Allparts...or eBay...

It may be that you'll need to buy this: http://www.allparts.com/Switchcraft-Right-Angle-Toggle-p/ep-4365-000.htm?click=19167

and put a gold Imperial nut on it.

When I upgraded the electonics on my G400, I had the impression from input here on the forum that the toggle switch I used from StewMac was an upgrade from the original Epiphone toggle switch. I hope it was worth the effort. Is Allparts superior to StewMac?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread up again, but it is still puzzling me. I mean seriously, out of all the people here, no one has ever replaced a gold right angle toggle with a switchcraft? No SG owners? No ES-335 type guitar owners? (Dot Deluxes, Sheratons, ect)? I've seen tons and tons of mod topics brought up on this forum, but this seems like it should just be such an easy thing to fix. I mean going to the trouble to get a switch gold plated is a bit much.

(If anybody could answer DMC59's question above, that would help too.)

my gibby sg in my avatar needs a gold switch too. and i cant find one either. i almost ordered from stewmac till i read this. as far as getting a switch electroplated i pretty sure you have to disassemble the switch, cant have any non metal parts.

When I upgraded the electonics on my G400, I had the impression from input here on the forum that the toggle switch I used from StewMac was an upgrade from the original Epiphone toggle switch. I hope it was worth the effort. Is Allparts superior to StewMac?

Well sort of. All Parts is a vendor for many brands and so is Stew Mac. But All Parts has a wider selection - more like a distributor, and Stew Mac is sort of a boutique parts store. The bottom line is you have to look at the brand and country of manufacture and if it's not listed, call and find out. Chances are, if the country of origin is not specified, it's made in Asia - China, Indonesia, could be anywhere in the far east.

There are all levels of Asian manufacturing quality, some of it very good to excellent and some of it absolute garbage. Personally, I would go for the high-quality USA-made Switchcraft stuff and put a gold knurled nut on it. I'd rather do the work once and never have to worry about it again. That would bother me less than a little bit of nickel showing...unless it was a guit I was going to put in a glass display case....

Makes sense to me. I guess I'll just get a regular one and put a gold nut on it. It'll only be a matter of time before the gold wears off the Epi switch anyway (I actually just noticed that it's already starting to on one side at the very bottom). They should still make a gold one though.

You better know what your doing... I made three changeouts when mine went and went nuts on electronics... the best solution I found was a COMPLETE Master Craft EPI harness or Gibson Harness... saves time and money in the long run and are matched componets... including wire impedments.... quite as a mouse and perfect now. better than new... right parts for the right guitar. The Gibson lines are not like working on a Fender at all. Fender is a lego kit and more adapatable, the electronics on the Gibsons are probably more difficult then they should be.... I've got extra CTS pots and two toggles... get someone who knows what their doing ...LOL!

Archived