Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special Club!

insanityVSchaos

...Dropped in a great set of Manlius P-90s in as well. What pickups has everyone else been using?

Mine is a '98 Special with a Seymour Duncan P90 at the neck and a Gibson P90 at the bridge. And happy with these, Mud. Picture comin soon.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I'm tryin to get some action goin here, friends. So here's another question some of you may have thoughts on:

What is a "Les Paul Junior Special"? I've read its a Junior with a second pup...how's it different than a LPSpecial?

Cheers,

I'm tryin to get some action goin here, friends. So here's another question some of you may have thoughts on:

What is a "Les Paul Junior Special"? I've read its a Junior with a second pup...how's it different than a LPSpecial?

Cheers,

"technically", a Special has binding on the neck and the 'Gibson' logo is MOP. The Jr. has a silk-screened 'Gibson' and no neck binding.

So....if it has no binding and a silk-screened logo, is it a 2-pickup Jr.? Or is it a Special without binding? Hmm....

To confuse things a little, at one time Gibson had used both names at the same time, Jr Special and Special describing the same guitar at the same time.

Regardless of what Gibson calls it, or HAS called it, I think "Junior Special" describes it perfectly...but then again, if you go to buy a Specail and THAT is what Gibson calls it and it don't have binding, it's still a Specail ain't it?

If we want to split hairs, "technically" it shouldn't have a TOM bridge. That would make it a "Junior Special Custom" sinse while they made the First Juniors and Specails, the TOM bridge was only available on the Custom while not on the Standard.

But also, the double-cut Specail was the first to be called an "SG", while what we know as SG's were called LP's. until the LP was then called the SG and the SG became the Special again. Something like that.

Cheers,

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-P90.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-Humbucker.aspx

Now THAT is just dumbfoundedly confusing.

Now, we have to consider a "Junior Specail with binding".

Haha yes the naming is very odd and sometimes almost seems random..

I tell you what though.. those new junior specials are amazing for the money.. two pups, neck binding and a great choice of colours.. If I had any money id get one..

Haha yes the naming is very odd and sometimes almost seems random..

I tell you what though.. those new junior specials are amazing for the money.. two pups, neck binding and a great choice of colours.. If I had any money id get one..

To make matters just a LITTLE more confusing, THIS model is available in Gloss OR Satin...while in every other case, Satin or Gloss means 2 different models.

WTF?

Just a little more "trivia" that comes to mind. Sinse this IS the place for those with a heart for P-90's.

The question of "what value pots for a P-90" is one without a clear answer. The most common answer is problably 300k audio or log for both volume and tone. Or, commonly "500k for humbucker, 250k for single coil".

I don't know the answer, and I have looked. The best I can come up with is that at first, when the P-90 was Gibson's main pup, what value pots you got had more to do with the model of guitar than the fact it had P-90's. What seems the most common for a Jr. was a 500k volume, and a 250k tone. For a Special, it was 300k or 500k for both. (regarding the Special, I actually mean that I personally don't know- except to say that at some point it became 300k as a 'standard' and I don't actually know when that was, or when it became one or the other).

At some point in time, 500k was used for everything, regardless of what pup or what guitar.

So, in other words, when MOST of the classic P-90 guitars were the "main" guitars, pot values (and caps values?) were chosen with some thought as to what the sound of the guitar model should be. When the Humbucker (PAF) became king, 500k must have been a comprimise for everything else besides the humbucker.

But now, it seems, that Gibson is using 300k linear for volume and 500k audio for tone in everything with little variation. It's the recipee for the Humbucker models TODAY, and it seems, the new model (Junior Special with binding available in gloss or satin, P-90 edition OR Humbucker...lol), it has the same value pots as every other Gibson model.

How are we ever to know what the REAL spec for a P-90 is?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 2 LP Specials, one just bought this morning and being shipped right now...I have an older -early 2000's-Special Faded with humbuckers and I just bought a new 2012 Special faded with P90's...in TV yellow, something I have wanted for a long time.

No pics to put up...

mark

Hey, JAC, really nice Special. I'm relatively new to electric guitars and hope my questions aren't doltish, but here goes: does the "SL" designate humbuckers or what?

Cheers,

Sorry it took me this long to answer! I usually just go to Gibson Lounge! The SL stands for sans laquer, it means "without laquer." It is a polyurethane finish. It actually holds up pretty well. I take care of mine, I've had it new since 1998. The example the guy posted on here, I don't believe the photo of the yellow Lester was an SL. It looked more like those worn or faded ones they sell that way new. I've seen a dark gray almost black SL, around the same year as mine. Even though it was beat up some (not terribly!), the finish is holding up on it great. Be leary of what some people post, many don't know or own the actual piece but, they will post what they were told or heard from another questionable source. You don't really see alot of SLs around. I believe at least one of the late 60s Gibson Flying Vs had polyurethane finish on them as well. I hope that helps answer your question. Sorry about the delay!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Many of you are equipment savvy, and I'm a lo-tech newbie to electric guitars. So I wonder if you'd care to teach me just a bit about what I'm doin with my LPJr. and Peavey Classic 30 at this point in my tonequest?

I'm not ready to add peripherals yet. Never used "Reverb" because I've associated it with a cleaner tone than I prefer. And it seems to dominate the tone. But what I did last night was:

Set reverb to 6, gain 6, volume 3; treble 8, mid 5, bass 3;

neck P90 only, guitar tone 5, guitar volume 10.

What I heard was round, dirty, dense, but with distinct treble and lots of sustain. A new Bluesy tone to me and the Reverb does not dominate the tone, but seems to interact nicely with the gain... [thumbup] ...can you help me understand, what the heck am I doin here?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, yeah, Joe. They make a nice pair. Can you tell any real difference between P100s and P90s?

And how do the humbuckers compare to the P100s?

Cheers,

Doug

I never played P90's so I can't give an honest evaluation on them. I do know they don't hum. That's how I figured out they were P100's. The guy that sold me the guitar said they were 90's, but when I plugged in they didn't hum. So when I got home I pulled them out and sure enough they had stacked coils.

As far as comparing them to full sized humbuckers, my opinion is their sound is somewhere between the 490/496 combination and '57 classics. Now that's just my opinion. Others may describe them differently.

I do like the sound, it give me another tonal option. I don't want all my guitars to sound the same.

Archived