Les Paul Special Club!

insanityVSchaos

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just picked up a 2009 Special from a pawn shop that was a real bargain, to go with my 2015 Doublecut (TV Yellow). It is in excellent condition and has a wood grain cherry stain finish. Tho it tends to look brown in photos.

Just wondering what is the correct/official name of the colour? I've seen it called satin cherry, faded cherry, worn heritage cherry, etc.

Also wondering if anyone knows the details of my particular version? I haven't seen any that are exactly like it. It has the unbound ebony fret board like the Japan Exclusive version but has greenish tulip tuners, not the white button ones on the Japanese market version. Maybe it was Exclusive to Australia?

Oh, I did take the pick guard off. Am I the only one that thinks it looks wrong? The strange angle under the strings and leading away from the bridge pickup just looks so wrong to me. I might make a custom one with parallel edges

I can never get my head around Gibsons nomenclature. Are these 'Les Paul Junior Specials' or just 'Les Paul Specials'?

My 2014 'Les Paul Classic Double Cutaway, has identical specs to a 'LP Std' not 'LP Classic', so why isn't it a 'LP Std DC'?

You can bet if it was a German company, every name and model would follow carefully laid out rules and we would know exactly what a guitar looked like just from it's name.

'15 ('16 specs) LP Special T Burstbucker Pro. It was the Daily pic on GC several weeks ago. I had always wanted a Special b/c of the neck binding and the flat top body...and the lower price of course. I missed out on them a few years ago when they were being blown out at around $499 (Gibson had Humbuckers or a P-90 option at the time). I love this guitar so far. It sounds great acoustically and the BB Pro's are fantastic. I haven't experimented much with the push/pull knobs yet, but I'm just scratching the surface.

Here she is. I put black reflectors on it but decided to go with gold reflectors so I have some on order along with some chrome keystone buttons. I had a black tip on it when this picture was made but decided I didn't like it so I went back to the cream. Also added some thumbcutters.

New1_zpsdeoxs972.jpg

I can never get my head around Gibsons nomenclature. Are these 'Les Paul Junior Specials' or just 'Les Paul Specials'?

My 2014 'Les Paul Classic Double Cutaway, has identical specs to a 'LP Std' not 'LP Classic', so why isn't it a 'LP Std DC'?

You can bet if it was a German company, every name and model would follow carefully laid out rules and we would know exactly what a guitar looked like just from it's name.

Yup. Gibson, oddly, has used or made "incorrect" names for models that are pretty much in opposition to their own past.

The "Jr" and "Special", and the "Jr. Special" is a good example of maybe SOME consistency. What separates the two is two pups, binding, and MOP GIBSON inlay instead if silkscreen. So, a mixture of features might make it go one way or another.

But to me, a slab body with humbuckers, no binding, is not really the same as a Special, even though they call it that. It isn't a better or worse guitar, it just isn't the same thing as a Special. Or a Junior.

Nor, is a "Hummingbird Pro" a Hummingbird. At all, in ANY way. Just name.

To ME, and most, we ALL know what a LP Standard is. Regardless of what Gibson markets or calls them. Now the only issue is being clear about whether we are referring to the particular marketing name, or the description.

2012 Les Paul Junior Specials with P90s and baked maple fret board are excellent guitars. The name "Junior Special" is funky yes. These are two separate models I know. They call it that in honor to both the 1954 Junior along with the 1955 Special. They made short runs of these guitars and I'm lucky enough to have landed one. They are a Special not a Junior as we know. I can tell you they play and sound great. The craftsmanship on these is second to none. Not bad for a $600 Gibson Les Paul. Specials in general are excellent guitars.

To help with the confusion:

1954 Les Paul Junior with one P90 pickup introduced

1955 Les Paul Special with two P90 pickups introduced

I'm not sure which year first had the TV yellow, I believe it was the Junior

To help with the confusion:

1954 Les Paul Junior with one P90 pickup introduced

1955 Les Paul Special with two P90 pickups introduced

I'm not sure which year first had the TV yellow, I believe it was the Junior

So... isn't the blue one above a Junior???

So, having had my 2009 worn cherry Special for a week now and comparing it to my 2015 TV yellow Special doublecut, I wouldn't have believed they could be so different. Maybe the different style of bridge has a big impact and the old P90s are WAY different.

The 2009 has a much brighter sound acoustically and the older P90s have more than double the output! And, boy do they snarl. The worn finish feels absolutely fantastic and so much nicer to play than the gloss. Now I want a more upmarket Les Paul in a worn finish. They should make that finish availability on all models, it is sooo good to play. I think a 2016 Studio is the best spec I can find, and they are dirt cheap, so I'm on the hunt for one. I like the 50s Tribute which has a Satin finish but I'm not sure it will be as nice a feel as the worn.

• 9 months later...

Marius%20Gear%2022_zpsomnq9vxm.jpg

My 2000 Ebony Les Paul Special. Originally came with a P100 in the bridge. Has been replaced by a Dimarzio Dualtone, which is unfortunately more or less irreversible. The original P90 in the neck has not been messed with.

Plays like and sounds like a million bucks !!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for starting this LPSpecials Club. I tried to attach and then tried to copy-paste a photo of my Special. A '98 TV with P90s and custom tort pickguard cut from a LPJunior template. No success.

Question: I have to replace my LPSpecial (recently stolen) and am finding many "LP Jr. Specials" w 2 P90s...a bit confusing. How can I get the technical differences, specifications comparisons?

I bought an LPJ, and I was all excited about joining the Junior Club. Apparently I don't qualify. Since I have a carved Maple top and two pickups I don't have a real Junior, so now I have to buy another REAL Junior instead of an LPJ. In the mean time, can I please join the Special Club? It really sucks if I can't. I'm starting to think that I have to go to Misfit Island.9302D5D9-D88E-4AEC-948F-DCDBEA6F75D9.jpg

5D12306F-5B2F-49B3-A16B-B821233D1390.jpg

IMHO...Let's let anyone join in. Suppose someone has an interest in LPSecials but doesn't own one? Why turn anyone away? Mine just got stolen; I hope I can still participate with y'all while I'm finding a replacement.

Vestapol

Okay, guys & gals, I want back in this thread to 2012 and found this photo I'd posted via Photobucket. If anyone has a line on this recently stolen guitar, let me know please. For now, if you know someone who wants to sell a used TV with P90s, I'd appreciate the referral. Thanks.

Here's my 1998 Les Paul Special. A woodworking buddy helped me cut the tort truss rod cover and more graceful Junior-style pickguard.

Cheers,

LesPaulSpecialenhanced-1.jpg

Archived