Gibson Brands Forums

New addition to the family........

onewilyfool

I have traded my beloved '70 D-18 Martin for the bastard child resulting from the mating of a J-45 and an Advanced Jumbo. I think a few of you guys have one on the forum. The label says it is a "AJ Mahogany Short Scale".... Trim of headstock (old Script Gibson) and AJ diamond markers on a short scale rosewood fretboard , AJ top bracing, Mahogany B&S, Sitka top.....AND (here's the clincher) it has a nut width of slightly over 1 3/4"!!!! Which is why I got it! I LOVE the nut width Pretty chunky neck, easy to play. This has to be the driest and woodiest Gibson I've played, not everyone's cup of tea, but perfect for the way I play. The guy who got my D-18 is more of a bluegrass player, and it sounds WONDERFUL the way he plays....so the right guitars went to the right guys! I will get pics up soon, but am too busy playing the darn thing. Put some new 80/20 Elixirs on it, and sounds great!! Just thought I'd share!!

Cool and Congrats - sounds like a really intrguing hybrid Gibson concoction.

But you guys have killed me. It did not seem all that long ago when I could get a nice little discount on guitars with fat necks and wide nuts because they were not all that beloved. Like the $20 Harmony Sovereigns back when everybody was turning up their noses at the Chicago jobber's mail order catalog guitars it is all now just Dust in the Wind.

A friend I play with started out looking at J45's but after playing many acoustics including mine....J200( too much buzz)...D42 Custom(too thin)..Lowden F(Nice and loud but bright)...Huss & Dalton Adi/Braz( ah ha!).. and trying everything around..

He pulled the trigger today on a new Sinker mahogany Adirondack Slope DS Huss & Dalton from The Podium,who just put all they're H&D on sale as they will not be carrying the line any longer.

Shipped $3250...just about they're cost..(at Guitar Gallery TN the guitar it is $4885)

His first really excellent guitar..and he's a really passionate good player.

So its mah day...congrats to you & he..

Sounds like a nice score. Congrats,

I have traded my beloved '70 D-18 Martin for the bastard child resulting from the mating of a J-45 and an Advanced Jumbo. I think a few of you guys have one on the forum. The label says it is a "AJ Mahogany Short Scale".... Trim of headstock (old Script Gibson) and AJ diamond markers on a short scale rosewood fretboard , AJ top bracing, Mahogany B&S, Sitka top.....AND (here's the clincher) it has a nut width of slightly over 1 3/4"!!!! Which is why I got it! I LOVE the nut width Pretty chunky neck, easy to play. This has to be the driest and woodiest Gibson I've played, not everyone's cup of tea, but perfect for the way I play. The guy who got my D-18 is more of a bluegrass player, and it sounds WONDERFUL the way he plays....so the right guitars went to the right guys! I will get pics up soon, but am too busy playing the darn thing. Put some new 80/20 Elixirs on it, and sounds great!! Just thought I'd share!!

Just a one week review.....I just love this guitar. That extra width on the 1 3/4" chunky neck really makes a difference to my big hands.....As I understand it, this AJ bracing is the same as used on the J-45 TV's?? If I'm wrong, please let me know. So, if this is correct, this guitar would be similar the a J-45 TV minus the brown case, and minus the Hide Glue???...BUT with AJ trim details? OK...this guitar is very bright (but I do have 80/20's on it) and I think next time I will go with the Elixir PB's and see how that affects the sound. I know this may offend the "purists" in the family but I've also put the guitar under the auspices of the Tonerite, because the guitar wasn't being played that much in the past, and it has awakened quite a bit, through my playing and the good vibrations of the Tonerite. The combo of the AJ bracing and the Hog B&S give this a strange combination of a compressed sound along with great sustain....very unique, may be my playing style though. Sounds good with "Blackbird" through to Country and Jazz...very all around guitar. Short scale is very comfortable and may contribute to the "compressed " sound Im hearing, again GREAT for singing/playing. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm not a great strummer technique wise, but I would say, this one is not as good a strummer as my J-45, but better for the above mentioned styles. I'm thinking, that this will replace my J-45, which will be moving on, I feel. J-45 is great, but this one better for my style off playing. I WILL get pics up, just busy these days, and will do so soon....This is NOT a common guitar, I know, but if you get a chance try one out. I believe they made these AJ's in Maple and Rosewood, too! Keep pluckin'!

Archived