Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Classical Guitars

duane v

A ukulele.

Okay, I'm being a richard-head, but Gibson classicals seem like they were an afterthought to the LG series. "Hey, let's put a wide board and a slotted peghead on this LG and we've opened up another market!"

No.

Earlier (40s,50s) they made some in the GS series (gut string) with solid pegheads. Never played one. Maybe nobody bought them. They sold a buttload of C-0s because they were cheap and easy to learn to play but they were never serious classicals. A good classical needs to be lighter than air to get any tone out of it. These were heavy. Solid as a rock but heavy as one too.

Around 1971 they tried another line, the C-100, C200, etc. They were more traditional and I have wondered if Gibson even made them or if they farmed then out to someone. Sacreligious I know.

Yes, Gibson is certainly NOT known for their classicals.

I paid $300 for a pretty nice Alvarez classical with on-board electronics, and a "not bad" evaluation by a REAL classical player.

In other words, if you're really in the market for a classical, there are much better ways to spend $300. If you just want the guitar because it says "Gibson" on the headstock, well, you're on your own.

Yes, Gibson is certainly NOT known for their classicals.

I paid $300 for a pretty nice Alvarez classical with on-board electronics, and a "not bad" evaluation by a REAL classical player.

In other words, if you're really in the market for a classical, there are much better ways to spend $300. If you just want the guitar because it says "Gibson" on the headstock, well, you're on your own.

LOL... I do have an Alvarez, but the action is higher than the moon, but it does sound pretty good but playability can be challenging. I was going to go after this Chet Atkins model, but since I only use the nylon string for three songs, I was looking for something under $500.

I guess the worst is I could sell it for the same price to someone if it sounds horrible

Being a Gibson guy, I looked into Gibson classicals when I got interested in classical guitar (actually, Brazilian guitar). I quickly realized the were at best (other than the Richard Pick C-6), student-grade instruments.

I ended up buying a Tom Prisloe Spanish-made Pavan (Rosewood back and sides, cedar top, ebony board and bridge). It cost a lot more than a student-grade guitar, but comparing it to a Gibson classical is sort of like a comparison between a J-45 Legend and an Ibanez.

In other words, Gibson classicals in general were not Gibson's finest hour.

Maybe if you went with the highest tension strings you can find. One problem is the 24-3/4 scale. Classicals seem to love long scales, sometimes 26". On a shorter scale guitar, they turn to rubber bands.

I do have a 1988 Seresta with a 24-1/2" scale, all plywood, that is one of the warmest sounding classicals I've ever heard, but we're talking couch playing. If I dug in, it would turn to oatmeal.

But hey, for $300 go for it, as long as you are reasonably certain it;s never had steel on it (no truss rod and all). You might find you love it. I'm just warning that you can't make a fair comparison between a C-0 and a standard classical any more than you could a Korean dreadnaught against a D-28. It's just not a fair race.

11102784_934086306632246_1224612455060842177_n.jpg?oh=6a3f7d324214b458d5a558c8a782baef&oe=570B3139

That's the Seresta. It is a cheaper version of a Giannini, made in Brazil. Same factory I think, just a budget line. All plywood, extremely student grade. A guy in NY bought it new and was doing missionary work...he lugged it all over the country and Mexico and beyond. I bought it from him on ebay in 2004 or 2005 for $10. it was covered in stickers and held together with 2" packing tape. I popped the back off and replaced the fan bracing. I refretted it while Easter dinner was cooking. I love this little guitar.

1477835_657302874310592_849892225_n.jpg?oh=895472e2cba83e63a678e32d56d4396f&oe=570EC04A

Well my C-6 was never owned by John Lennon but it WAS owned by Eddie Collins. He was a prominent banjo and guitar player in the 40s and 50s. Here he is (on the right) with Eddie Peabody.

EddiePBanjoline.jpg

Mine was very likely one of the first run, I think it's #33 of the batch. It was some kind of dumpster reject. The top is distorted right in line with the fan bracing, almost like the vacuum jig they use went haywire, if that's even possible. In addition, the ebony fingerboard CLEARLY has fret slots randomly cut into the UNDERSIDE of the fretboard, almost like it was a piece of ebony scrap they dug out of the trash, flipped upside down and then ran through the fret saw. The kicker of course is the polyurethane finish.

Yes, polyurethane on a Gibson. From what Eddie's son told me, they sprayed one or more reject guitars with a poly finish as a sample or trial. He said the finish cracked after a few days. Eddie visited Gibson a lot and apparently was friendly with some key people there, and Les too. On one visit, they either gave him the C-6 or sold it on the cheap. I think Eddie passed in 1972. It hung around until I bought it back in....06 maybe.

The finish is horribly thick, just like a candy apple. Lacquer thinner and acetone won't touch it. A hammer might.

c6h.jpg

c6i.jpg

Look closely and you can see the random fret slots on the underside of the board:

c6j.jpg

Well my C-6 was never owned by John Lennon but it WAS owned by Eddie Collins. He was a prominent banjo and guitar player in the 40s and 50s. Here he is (on the right) with Eddie Peabody.

EddiePBanjoline.jpg

Mine was very likely one of the first run, I think it's #33 of the batch. It was some kind of dumpster reject. The top is distorted right in line with the fan bracing, almost like the vacuum jig they use went haywire, if that's even possible. In addition, the ebony fingerboard CLEARLY has fret slots randomly cut into the UNDERSIDE of the fretboard, almost like it was a piece of ebony scrap they dug out of the trash, flipped upside down and then ran through the fret saw. The kicker of course is the polyurethane finish.

Yes, polyurethane on a Gibson. From what Eddie's son told me, they sprayed one or more reject guitars with a poly finish as a sample or trial. He said the finish cracked after a few days. Eddie visited Gibson a lot and apparently was friendly with some key people there, and Les too. On one visit, they either gave him the C-6 or sold it on the cheap. I think Eddie passed in 1972. It hung around until I bought it back in....06 maybe.

The finish is horribly thick, just like a candy apple. Lacquer thinner and acetone won't touch it. A hammer might.

c6h.jpg

c6i.jpg

Look closely and you can see the random fret slots on the underside of the board:

c6j.jpg

That looks like the board was flip upside down do to cutting the original slots wrong.. See that before as well.

I bought a C-0 from George Gruhn for $400 in 1994 or 1995. I was studying classical and tried out as many as I could, starting at Gruhn's.

I checked at least 5 other stores, many different brands, and ended up going back for the Gibson. I didn't find anything better for the same money.

It was more of a student model but that was what I needed at the time. The neck started bowing. I never looked inside for a truss rod and sold it when I was hard up for cash.

If you like it, get it. I wish I still had mine just for the hell of it.

I bought one new (a C-0, my first Gibson) back around '64 and traded it in 6 months later for an LG1. It was $110 as I recall - and I guess $300 is a fair price today for one that is a good player.

I had Classical Gas (pun intended) a couple of years ago and tried out a dozen or so at GC. Found the Cordoba Gipsy King Studio Model was (around $500) head and shoulders above ones priced more than double that.

Archived