Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a "chambered" body or a hollow body?

jaxson50

While I find the technology fascinating, I see this as the end to the age of craftsmanship. We are just taking giant steps toward the day when we will be totally dependent on computer operated robotic machines to make everything we need or want. Man will forget the skills that have been passed down for generations, we will no longer need to read, a computer can read books to us, we will no longer need a memory, everything we need to remember will be recorded on a chip. I don't want to see that era, because, believe it or not, if we can replace any artist, we can replace all artist, and this may come as news to many, but musicians are artist. Soon machine will not only make our instruments, they will play them for us and that will be another "craft" we hand over to the geek world and forfeit to the gods of technology, I give it 40 years...I will not live to see it, but many of you will, and you will regret buying into the ultimate sell out....Just saying

Hello Jaxson50!

Your post is interesting.

Although, I strongly feel that the future will be the opposite. We will return to traditional ways of life. Why I think so? As a technical author I have an insight on many huge industrial companies' way of working. Honestly, the quality of manufacturing is declining everywhere. In a big rush they are producing garbage, meanwhile living up the resources and pushing down the salaries. This can't be maintained on a long term. The whole way we will our lives today, will collapse. Now there are nearly 8 billion people on Earth, everyone needs a job, right? What do the companies of the wellfare states do? In the greed for extra-profit, they outsource all work to far-East, sacrificing local employement, thus increasing the social expences of the state.

I am quite sure, not so far from now we will grow our own vegetables, make our own assests, even guitars! I am telling You: our fellow member Rabs already started it! ;)

Cheers... Bence

Hello Jaxson50!

Your post is interesting.

Although, I strongly feel that the future will be the opposite. We will return to traditional ways of life. Why I think so? As a technical author I have an insight on many huge industrial companies' way of working. Honestly, the quality of manufacturing is declining everywhere. In a big rush they are producing garbage, meanwhile living up the resources and pushing down the salaries. This can't be maintained on a long term. The whole way we will our lives today, will collapse. Now there are nearly 8 billion people on Earth, everyone needs a job, right? What do the companies of the wellfare states do? In the greed for extra-profit, they outsource all work to far-East, sacrificing local employement, thus increasing the social expences of the state.

I am quite sure, not so far from now we will grow our own vegetables, make our own assests, even guitars! I am telling You: our fellow member Rabs already started it! ;)

Cheers... Bence

I wish I could share your opinion of a workers utopia, I have seen too many jobs go "poof" because of new technology, and now we have people entering the work force who have been told their entire life that everyone wins. We can't live on credit alone, maybe you are right. at some point the elite will throw us a bone. [cursing]

While I find the technology fascinating, I see this as the end to the age of craftsmanship. We are just taking giant steps toward the day when we will be totally dependent on computer operated robotic machines to make everything we need or want. Man will forget the skills that have been passed down for generations, we will no longer need to read, a computer can read books to us, we will no longer need a memory, everything we need to remember will be recorded on a chip. I don't want to see that era, because, believe it or not, if we can replace any artist, we can replace all artist, and this may come as news to many, but musicians are artist. Soon machine will not only make our instruments, they will play them for us and that will be another "craft" we hand over to the geek world and forfeit to the gods of technology, I give it 40 years...I will not live to see it, but many of you will, and you will regret buying into the ultimate sell out....Just saying

Actually I agree with you.......the internet is in the process of being the downfall of our morals and sense of whats right and wrong and as you say technology is going to rule us, it's not going to be good down the road in other aspect of our society...I also won't live to see it...altho it may come faster than we like.

I wish I could share your opinion of a workers utopia, I have seen too many jobs go "poof" because of new technology, and now we have people entering the work force who have been told their entire life that everyone wins. We can't live on credit alone, maybe you are right. at some point the elite will throw us a bone. [cursing]

Actually I was a victim of technology and economy killing my trade...I used to be a lithographer ( printing industry...preppress..journyman)...before computers, it was a skilled trade..made over $30 an hour , 4 weeks holidays, paid benefits and that was back in the mid to late 80's early 90's...then the crash of the mid 90's....me and 500 other people vying for one job ...needless to say I got out of that buisness....went from that to learning furniture refinishing and finishing starting at $8 an hour....took me about 10 years to recover from that wage loss.....all is well now but whoooooooo rough time for awhile.. [thumbup]

Over the years I have worked for a few companies that had branch offices across the nation, each branch at one time supported several office staff, including branch managers and office personnel, today there is one office that is staffed, all calls are routed to that one office no matter where the calls originate from, no more need for managers or office staff. Of course some will argue that this makes the company more profitable and more efficient. Really? It may produce more income for IT folks, and a lot more profit for the CEO. But service suffers.The end result is a template to reduce the number of people gainfully employed and paying taxes, buying homes, cars and other goods. That is what was once called " trickle down" economics, but now the rich get more and scream like a barefoot boy on a anthill if you ask them to kick in a little more. Well, there just are not enough people working to support this thing.Ask anyone in the US this question, when was the US at it best? Most will say the 1950s or maybe the 69s. Go back and look at what we accomplished then, the Interstate system, we created NASA, put a man on the moon. Then look at what the tax rates were. I find it humorous that the same people who think that the current tax levels hurt the rich, also consider the 50s and 60s as our good old days. The top earners paid over 80%! Until 1980 when the tax rates on upper earners was dropped to 50% they paid through the nose, guess what? They owned big houses, airplanes, big boats, villas in Italy......the good old days indeed.

Archived