Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional Pro

LPGTCat33511

So I had to weigh my TradPro

The scale said 5.58

It feels heavier, but it jives with what is in the specs online

I also read here in the specs the body is weight relieved ?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx

"Tonal Characteristics

The mahogany body of the Les Paul Traditional Pro cranks out tone that is somewhat soft, but extremely well-balanced, with good grind and bite. It has the potential for good depth, with full (though not super-tight) lows, velvety highs and a slightly compressed response. Its maple cap adds snap, sizzle and sustain. And like a number of Gibsons, the Les Paul’s interior has weight relief cavities, which gives you a guitar that is louder acoustically and features increased sustain and resonance."

Really ?

Is it ?

It feels like 10 pounds to me !

My 2012 Les Paul Standard Tradition Pro, I bought last november weighs about 9 pounds, I think they forgot to weight relieve it [biggrin] , My brother has a Les Paul Standard and when he picked mine up the first thing he said is " damn this is heavy". But I love it, backache and all. 092.jpg 090.jpg

....So I had to weigh my TradPro....The scale said 5.58....Really ?.....Is it ?......It feels like 10 pounds to me !....

Have you checked your scales for accuracy?

Pre-2013 Traditionals are weight-relieved and usually seem to weigh somewhere around the 9lb mark.

5.58 pounds seems very wrong, somehow....

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

You've either made a mistake (or your scales have), or you've got a chambered standard (2008-2012) somehow but even then, it's light.

I did wonder if you'd accidentally read the KG scale but that would make it about 12lbs which is way on the heavy side and then a bit.

maybe the body alone without the neck and electrics would weigh about 5.5lbs

bathroom scales do not work well at lower weights, they're made for 100-200+ lbs people.

try find a scale that's used for small parcels.

My 2001 Studio comes in at 9.00 on one of those.

I did wonder if you'd accidentally read the KG scale but that would make it about 12lbs which is way on the heavy side and then a bit.

I wondered about reading kg instead of lbs but, as you say, this would mean an exceptionally heavy LP (although far from precedent).

Because of crappy scales I can't get a precise measurement on my 1978 25 / 50 but about 11lb + something seems about right. But this guitar would be expected to come in weightwise way below that.

I weigh all of my guitars. I use a hand held scale made for weighing luggage. I wrap the strap around the lower part of the headstock (it holds just fine), and lift enough for it to be off the stand, wait of few seconds for the scale to read, and wa la, an accurate measurement. Plus it works for luggage so I don't get charged extra when flying.

So, FYI: my '07 LP which is chambered weighs 7# 5oz. My thinline Tele is my lightest guitar at 6# 7oz. I don't believe there's anyway a Traditional is going to be under 6#.

Thats what I thought

The bathroom scale trick is what I did and its off by 4 lbs at least

I think when it shipped to me it was 14 lb box, maybe 18

THe Jr box was 14 and the Trad box was 18 ( I thinks )

For sure this thing has no weight relief

after a couple days of hanging this around my neck, my lower back is achy

I use a 2.5" leather padded strap- very nice and expensive as far as straps go

So where can I go to measure the actual weight of this thing ?

Where do I get one of those luggage scales?

...For sure this thing has no weight relief...

This is true if it's a 2013-spec Trad. Otherwise it is weight-relieved.

Re-read your own original post. Here's what it says in the specs;

"...The Les Paul’s interior has weight relief cavities..."

You cannot tell whether a Les Paul is weight-relieved by it's weight.

Contrary to what you perhaps believe the solid LPs (i.e. the Re-Issues) are usually LIGHTER than the weight-relieved guitars.

Since weight-relieving started in approx 1982 the only Les Pauls which are NOT weight-relieved are the Re-issues. Until the 2013 Trads, that is.

Of my 4 LPs, two are solid and two are weight relieved. They vary in weight by a mere 3 1/2 oz between the lot of them - the re-issues acting as the 'book-ends', as it were.

P.

So where can I go to measure the actual weight of this thing ?

Where do I get one of those luggage scales?

I bought a digital fishing scale from WalMart for about $20. You can fashion a small loop of rope or shoestring to (carefully) hang the guitar from the hook. I think it may be off by a couple of ounces (based on camparison to an expensive digital postal scale at work), but is close enough for me.

Pip - it IS FRIGGIN HEAVY !, while it may in fact have a few swiss cheese holes inside

The spec on the website is what I questioned.

If it IS IN FACT swiss cheese weight relief, it doesn't feel like it is

I thought a traditionsl(Pro) would be solid, but alas I must be mistaken

Maybe after a few more years of drying out in the FL sun it may relive a few ounces !

THanks for all that info

Checking walmart later - thanks gunner

Moparguy - that is my exact guitar, mine having a hint of birdseye toward the controls

( I used to be a Moparguy too !)

THanks everyone

Sincerely,

Losing weight !

Archived