Gibson Brands Forums

Do Ya Ever???

Murph

Go to the Gruhns site?

Salivate over the '53's, '57's, '59's, ect?

It cost me over 2K this year (1933 Gibson Mandolin).

But a road trip to Nashville is fun, too.

He does have a bunch of Gibbys, a nice Walnut ES-335 too, with a history.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Sorry, I'm not much of a fan of "Vintage" the thinking behind it doesn't make much sense to me. I think some people are under the impression there is magic mojo in those old guitars. Anyhow to each their own.

You would think with the price tags on some of those guitars that he might consider bringing the site up to date.

Sorry' date=' I'm not much of a fan of "Vintage" the thinking behind it doesn't make much sense to me. I think some people are under the impression there is magic mojo in those old guitars. Anyhow to each their own.

You would think with the price tags on some of those guitars that he might consider bringing the site up to date.[/quote']

Haha well your right it doesn't make much sense to go out and pay that much for a guitar but i heard George Gruhn can be a little biased about those old guitars in his shop.

My dad met him once and asked him about my dad's Ghallagher Doc Watson model all he told me of that encounter was that, to Gruhn, if it ain't his it ain't worth sh#t

Haha well your right it doesn't make much sense to go out and pay that much for a guitar but i heard George Gruhn can be a little biased about those old guitars in his shop.

My dad met him once and asked him about my dad's Ghallagher Doc Watson model all he told me of that encounter was that' date=' to Gruhn, if it ain't his it ain't worth sh#t[/quote']

Vintage guitar sellers are often just like shyster used car salesmen. "What hump in the fretboard at the neck joint? Check out the mojo in this baby!"

Sorry' date=' I'm not much of a fan of "Vintage" the thinking behind it doesn't make much sense to me. I think some people are under the impression there is magic mojo in those old guitars. Anyhow to each their own.[/quote']

There was a fun thread about "mojo" in the acoustic forum. Basically, I think the whole "mojo" thing has gotten a little carried away. I think maybe being beaten up could make an old guitar look cool but it will never, ever help your playing.

As a player, I have to look at it as an instrument. But as a collector, it's all psychological ("it looks cool" "maybe it was once played by X or in X place or at X time"). As an investor, it's about the bottom line... and some people don't look at "mojo" as depreciation.

I don't think the stuff is overpriced, because it is backed up by one of the biggest names in the business. If it's for sale there, it's NOT a fake, or a (fake) relic, and you have the paper to proove it.

When we bought my wifes 1933 Mandolin there (that was owned by Scotty Stoneman), a picker was in there that was playing with Ricky Scaggs that night at the Opera. She had him play it, in fact. We came home and boom, there he was, on the T.V.

You get what you pay for in vintage gear, and George Gruhn knows his sh!t. Has nothing to do with if you like him.

Murph.

I go to Gruhn's sometimes but the main target is Jack's Barbecue just a few doors down.

I don't think I would buy a vintage guitar to play but I do like looking at them, it just makes you wonder about the history of the guitar and where it has been in the last 30, 40 or 50 years.

Gruhn's may be overpriced to some but he makes collectors comfortable.

Some really famous guitars have come out of Nashville that is for sure.

Archived