Gibson Brands Forums

Strats you would like...

pippy

Sorry Pippy, I've had 2 Strat's now and couldn't get on with either. I also hate the headstock on them, as well as the whammy bar. Just a no love thing I suppose, each to their own though. Telecasters though, I really like and wouldn't mind getting another some day.

yeah, i don't really get on with strats either. went to humbucker camp long ago. don't care for the neck profile, although the fender acoustics feel fine in my opinion. don't care for noisy single coils either. but the only way to get whammy bends is to use a guitar with a whammy bar + 1. I don't use or care for whammy bars. The strat I have on dream list is the Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple) model with the fat 70s headstock and scalloped fretboard. The middle pickup is disabled too. Blackmore is a famous strat abuser, bending and stepping on the whammy with his shoe. A classic use of the strat whammy to full effect is in Deep Purple's Help. You'd also have to put noiseless pu's in it and try shielding the inside as well. I'd probably upgrade electronics. Can't beat the Gilmour strat either.

...Sorry but I like my own custom made one with my name engraved on the neck plate the best:

No apologies neccessary, Tman.

She's a beauty!

And the neck plate is VERY cool...

[thumbup]

P.

Being an absolute Hendrix freak,the Woodstock Strat would certainly be at the top of my list for Guitars I love to just touch but the Strat that he owned that I'd love to touch is his beloved black Strat he called "the Black Beauty" that he played in his house on 23 Brook St. in London,it was the one that he played the night before he died when he wrote his final lyrics "The Story of Life" that included the words "The moment that we die,all we know is God is by our side."

There are two more "sacred Strats" that I love to just to be able to lay my hands on and they are John Lennon's Sonic Blue '61 Strat that Mal Evans picked up at a London music store along with and identical one for George-which of course became the famous psychedelic painted "Rocky" that was seen on "The Magical Mystery Tour" and some Beatle videos of that period too.

To be able to hold either one of these guitars would be for me a near religious experience,because nobody has influenced my life more than these 3 great musicians who were also great humanitarians and promoters of peace and harmony.

I'd have to go with this:

srvtributestrat1.jpg

I had an opportunity to play that guitar, but I missed the call. Came home from work one day and found a message on the machine from a local shop telling me to call them back RIGHT AWAY!

When I called back they told me that #1 was making a stop at their shop on the way to the Smithsonian, but.... had been and gone!

I would choose SRV's Number One. Or, if it is even still around, Buddy Holly's Strat, just for the history of it.

I'm with Saturn about SRV's axe. I would also be able to die a happy woman if I could hold Steve Clark's Blue Strat he used in the "Love Bites" video! I'd also love to be able to hold *ANY* of Eric Clapton's Strats! [drool]

Hello Donny!

The Strat is not my kind of guitar. It's tone just doesn't fits anything I do. But I do like the look of a natural or tri-burst Strat. I am also very curious about the Malmsteen's scalopped-fingerboard model. I wonder how it plays.

Cheers... Bence

CB I love your '64 "L" series Strat.My '65 had the same 3 colour burst but when I had bought it in 1974 It had had 9 years of vigorous playing and it had the battle scars to prove it.I naively let a friend talk me into refinishing it and he pretty well destroyed it by taking a belt sander to the body to remove the finish.I still have the original body and neck but I have all the hardware put into a walnut body and neck that are made to "L" series specs.I hope some day to put it back together with the original body and neck and paint it Sonic Blue.

IMHO the "L" series Strats are the best sounding and playing of all the Strats-it's no surprise that Jimi loved the "L" series too. He used them for his first 2 albums.

Archived