Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson U harp

JuanCarlosVejar

That is a cool LOOKING guitar.....sounds "full" , note the first guy uses and electronic tuner on the headstock......lol....so would i!! I would like to see those bass strings "colored" for example, red for "C", blue for "G", etc....I have enough problems with SIX strings!!! That last guitar sounds best to my ear.....

But, he makes no use of the sub-bass strings, only having them vibrate sympathetically. Admittedly, it's hard to play independent bass and melody lines on these things, but the effect can be like a guitar accompanied by a bass. My meager (and not polished) attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDPJfJNoi4

Bleedin Hell JT...that is great....hahaha... looks really hard to play..well done my man, and thanks for posting...where else can u get stuff posted like this eh..'beaut [thumbup]

Bleedin Hell JT...that is great....hahaha... looks really hard to play..well done my man, and thanks for posting...where else can u get stuff posted like this eh..'beaut [thumbup]

Thanks, Del!

I had just worked up this little dittie when I (probably unwisely) recorded it and stuck it up on YouTube. I've since come closer to mastering it and have learned how to dampen those bass strings a la Merle Travis. Time to re-record!

Thanks, Del!

I had just worked up this little dittie when I (probably unwisely) recorded it and stuck it up on YouTube. I've since come closer to mastering it and have learned how to dampen those bass strings a la Merle Travis. Time to re-record!

Look forward to hearing and seeing that JT

Here is ours (my wife's actually) -- 1913 U-2. We are gigging right now, but I'll record it when we get back.

U-2.jpg

Best,

-Tom

WOW B)

The Gibson harp guitars look so cool. But, I don't know a single harp guitar player who prefers the sound of a Gibson harp guitar over the sound of the Larson Brothers/Knutsen "Symphony Harp Guitar" design.

The Gibsons are heavily built archtops with added neck rod and related hardware. They are quite heavy. The Larsons are OM size guitars built very lightly. They weigh little more than a modern OM.

• 2 months later...

And finally, after years of wanting and months of saving, I lucked out and pulled the trigger on a U Harp of my very own. Here she is!

11063482245_4744219859.jpg

When I get good enough at it, I will post a video. But the sympathetic tones from the bass strings make it sound so much more full. It also is great for doing little leads with a nice bass line.

And finally, after years of wanting and months of saving, I lucked out and pulled the trigger on a U Harp of my very own.

Very cool! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your harp guitar with us.

Now, you need to join the harp guitar community at HarpGuitars.net. And consider joining us at our annual gathering! I just co-hosted our most recent Gathering:

sat_finale-thompson-s.jpg

Archived