Gibson Brands Forums

Why do we see this so often?

Coz52

The suspiciously ubiquitous miss-aligned tuning pegs. You see this so often. Everything else will be beautifully and precisely executed and the tuning pegs will appear to have been installed by someone whose job description includes showing up to work drunk on their lips. The cynic in me says this is done on purpose to preserve the "brides maid" image of Epiphones relative to Gibsons.post-57599-045560000 1377883526_thumb.jpg

The cynic in me says this is done on purpose to preserve the "brides maid" image of Epiphones relative to Gibsons.

Don't think Gibsons are immune to this.

4172741064_1aae834dc3.jpg

Anybody notice anything in this picture of the headstock of the second most expensive guitar model Gibson has ever made?

And yes, it did/does bother me, but the fix-it is worse.

"So often?" I see it, once in a while, but...considering the

number of guitars mass produced, nowadays, I don't think it's

all that often. We tend to see it "here" more, because people

are constantly showing these types of things, on the forum.

And, I think it's worthwhile, to do that! But...I don't really

think Epiphone is any more prone to this kind of "problem" than

any other mass producing instrument maker. When it hits you,

personally, "your" guitar...then it's annoying, and just seems

like it must be more widespread, than it really is. Another

reason to actually see/play, what you're going to buy.

IMHO, as always.

CB

"So often?" I see it, once in a while, but...considering the

all that often. We tend to see it "here" more, because people

are constantly showing these types of things, on the forum.

And, I think it's worthwhile, to do that! But...I don't really

think Epiphone is any more prone to this kind of "problem" than

any other mass producing instrument maker. When it hits you,

personally, "your" guitar...then it's annoying, and just seems

like it must be more widespread, than it really is. Another

reason to actually see/play, what you're going to buy.

IMHO, as always.

CB

The specimen shown is currently on e-bay. Where I see a lot skewed tuners. On Epiphones. As I alluded to before, it strikes me as odd that while the rest of the guitar will be precisely executed, the tuner installation, which you would think would be a relatively simple task to perform cleanly, seems to be curiously prone to being done in a sloppy, reckless fashion. Hence the "bridesmaid" theory.

That "Bridesmaid" theory, is mostly perpetrated by brand snobs, to try to make

those that either can't afford "Gibson" (or, simple choose not to), feel bad.

E-bay sells a lot of 2nd's and "refurbs," too...maybe those aren't deemed serious

enough "flaws" to worry about, as long as they actually work. It would be serious

enough, for ME...and, judging by other responses, a lot of other's here, as well.

But, some folks either don't really notice those sorts of things, or...don't care.

Who knows?!

CB

That "Bridesmaid" theory, is mostly perpetrated by brand snobs, to try to make

those that either can't afford "Gibson" (or, simple choose not to), feel bad.

E-bay sells a lot of 2nd's and "refurbs," too...maybe those aren't deemed serious

enough "flaws" to worry about, as long as they actually work. It would be serious

enough, for ME...and, judging by other responses, a lot of other's here, as well.

But, some folks either don't really notice those sorts of things, or...don't care.

Who knows?!Did you just call me a "brand snob"? If not you are dangerously reckless with words. And if you did you are not a very careful reader as I clearly stated my observation that the mis-aligned tuners were the exception to the rule. In other words the rest of the guitars appeared to be very well made. Hardly something you would expect out of the mouth of a "brand snob".

CB

as long as the guitar stays in tune it will be OK. "We aint makin' Swiss watches here", says the production manager to the QC manager at the material review board, where rejected material is held in a "bonded" hold area, properly identified. The lot is accepted as "use as is", and shipped (functionally acceptable, cosmetically marginal). Marketing says "it will be OK, maybe someone should fix the problem on the next run, maybe" :o [lol][scared][biggrin]

if they don't want to use a jig, which can be problematic to align correctly, a simple long screwdriver shaft will do the trick......as long as both gear-housing tops are in 100% contact w/the shaft laid across the tops of opposite housings, they can't help but be level.

every 3x3 guitar I have gets a good leveling w/the initial "ditch the factory strings" changing.

i've had 3 or 4 Epis that needed leveling.....every other brand has been ok.

Coz, lighten up :rolleyes: ...I didn't call You, or anyone else here, a "Gear Snob."

Just that the "Bridesmaide" attitude you referred to, is often perpetrated

BY "Brand Name" snobs. And, it's not limited, to guitars, either. Any consumer

item, has it's "brand" snobs. No big deal [tongue] IF I misconstued your meaning,

I apologize. :)

CB

.....to have been installed by someone whose job description includes showing up to work drunk

Charlie Brown responded:

considering the

all that often

Charlie, admit it, it was you showing up on the assembly line on that shift tipsy from the demon rum, again.

This is why Epiphone quality is starting to slip.

[laugh]

Coz, lighten up :rolleyes: ...I didn't call You, or anyone else here, a "Gear Snob."

Just that the "Bridesmaide" attitude you referred to, is often perpetrated

BY "Brand Name" snobs. And, it's not limited, to guitars, either. Any consumer

item, has it's "brand" snobs. No big deal [tongue] IF I misconstued your meaning,

I apologize. :)

CB

Why does a person's personal preferences for anything amount to snobbery? I like what I like because I like it be it cars or guitars or peanut butter. Others like what they like and good for them.

That being said Ray Charles could have lined up those tuners better than that. As long as they are within given tolerances they will be shipped out just like any other mass produced item. And as with any mass produced item some bad ones slip through.

Why does a person's personal preferences for anything amount to snobbery? I like what I like because I like it be it cars or guitars or peanut butter. Others like what they like and good for them.

That being said Ray Charles could have lined up those tuners better than that. As long as they are within given tolerances they will be shipped out just like any other mass produced item. And as with any mass produced item some bad ones slip through.

Mrs.B. & I have become "brand snobs" over Peanut butter.

If you ain't eating Planters, you ain't eating peanut butter....

besides...i've seen a LOT of Jif & Peter Pan come off the line w/crooked labels lately.

Who knows?!

CB

And this from the guy who's trying to start an grassroots movement over an insignificant difference in the cutaway horns on Epi 335's! You're all over the map, CB. You nit pick on things almost no one ever notices, and miss other things people DO notice. Just when I thought you'd be the perfect quality control guy...

And this from the guy who's trying to start an grassroots movement over an insignificant difference in the cutaway horns on Epi 335's! You're all over the map, CB. You nit pick on things almost no one ever notices, and miss other things people DO notice. Just when I thought you'd be the perfect quality control guy...

Enjoy your life, Bluesman...

:rolleyes: I'm NOT trying to start any "Grassroots Movement," at all. Just asking questions,

seeking opinions, and yes, sharing my likes and dislikes, as well. Isn't that what

most of us do, here?! [tongue]

If you don't like what I say, or don't like me, for some reason, don't contribute

if you don't want to. I often don't agree with some opinions, or points of view,

here...and, in such cases, I (mostly) stay out of it. Especially those that "I"

feel are "insignificant," as you seem to feel this is, for you. We just don't agree,

apparently, on what is, and isn't "significant." That's ok!

CB

Archived