Gibson Brands Forums

Black Diamond...or coal.

jedzep

I think I last used Black Diamond strings in the 60's as they were super easy on the wallet. I recall them being jangly/tinny sounding, however I wasn't playing Gibson or Martins. I was string shopping this morning and noticed that current BD's are even more costly than the Dunlops and DR's I usually play. Guess I'll try 'em out sometime thinking that maybe they're now better strings than they were or than I recall. First though, I'd like to consult with any of you pickers who might have or are using them. We talk strings a lot on these pages, but I don't recall this brand mentioned in any discussions. Maybe that tells me somethin'. Can anyone throw out an opinion/review?

Thanks guys!

Jed,

I currently have a set of BD PB 12's on my J-200, and I like em for the most part. It's been months since I've played the DR Rare that I usually play, for me to be able to give you an accurate comparison of the 2. If you want an idea of how they sound, I recorded this on my Samsung tab last night. It's not studio quality eqpt, but it might give you an idea of whether they are the general tone you are looking for.

I also tried the silver plated on my J-45, and immediately stripped them and went back to the John Pearse 80/20's. They weren't on long enough to settle in and me to accurately evaluate the sound, because both sets I ordered came equipped with a dead low E, and I couldn't tolerate the thud I heard everytime I touched that string.

Hope this helps

JRP

Didn't know BD was still around. I used them sometimes back in the 1960's when I was a poor student, just because they were the cheapest thing around. I want to say they went for about $1.50 a set or so.

When you correct for inflation, that makes quality strings today one of the best values you can find.

That brings back memories--and not happy ones, really. Sometimes those were the only strings I could find.

But my recollection of their playability and tone is doubtless colored by the fact that in those days I couldn't afford to change strings often. And it seems that lights (12s) are a recent innovation.

I'm starting to get the drift that they were always and remain schitty strings. Your experiences match mine, shuffling to another guitar lesson or strumming in someone's basement, string breaks and you run to the hardware store for strings. A buck and a half like Nick said. Now I have to give 'em a try.

I laughed when I saw the name!

When I was learning guitar, Black Diamond were about the only strings you could get at our local friendly Musical Instrument shop and we only bought a replacement for the string we broke!

They were kept way over the back of the shop near the Pianola rolls, which means the shop owners regarded them as some lowly kind of necessary service to weirdos and school-kids.

I am trying to think of the name of the first decent competition that came out and everyone was scared to try them.

BluesKing777.

I'm starting to get the drift that they were always and remain schitty strings. Your experiences match mine, shuffling to another guitar lesson or strumming in someone's basement, string breaks and you run to the hardware store for strings. A buck and a half like Nick said. Now I have to give 'em a try.

I think the Black Diamonds were $1.50, and the Martin "Bell Bronze" mediums I preferred were $2.

No brainer which one to buy if you're a starving student, which I was in those days.

Right. Holy crap, how little we knew back in the day. Wonder what the pro choice for strings was when the old acoustic masters were playing. What strings did Doc Watson use in...say...1964? How about 1954...what was Bob Wills Playboys or Bill Monroe's pickers using? I'd look it up but the ravioli's ready.

Right. Holy crap, how little we knew back in the day. Wonder what the pro choice for strings was when the old acoustic masters were playing. What strings did Doc Watson use in...say...1964? How about 1954...what was Bob Wills Playboys or Bill Monroe's pickers using? I'd look it up but the ravioli's ready.

Jeez, you're a cynical so and so......

Honest to God, people like me bought we could afford. I probably changed strings every six months, and kept the old unwound strings for spares, although you could buy them as singles for about a quarter. Used to bust a lot of B strings in those days.

Not so sure we were not better off when we were not obsessed with tone woods, strings and such.

I still have a bunch of BD strings which I found tucked away in a box of old stuff I had forgotten about. I figured they would be rusty as all get out but they actually look pretty good. I may have to give them a try.

Just my personal opinion. Doesn't make me right and someone else wrong--------------but I think we've become very delicate, prissy, spoiled, and whinny over the last few decades. Those strings are too loud. Those are too quiet. Those (God forbid) hurt my fingers. Sadly, the attitude reflects on all phases of our society. When I started playing, there was no Guitar Center, Fullers, Music Villa---OR INTERNET OR HOME COMPUTERS. Aside from a handful of music shops (that were usually several miles away) you went to Woolworths or Ben Franklin's neighborhood dime store for your strings (assuming they still had some) and you bought what was available. There was no choice of coated or non-coated. It was typically heavy guage wire or barbed wire. Of course, that was back in the day when the men were men and the sheep were scared. [flapper]

....I think we've become very delicate, prissy, spoiled, and whinny over the last few decades.

Yep. Sometimes I read posts and all I can think of are discussions between purebred dog enthusiasts.

Never was a BD fan. Growing up I don't recall what I used. Whatever was available i suppose. Probably BD more than once. Gibsons if I was rich that day. Goya singles if I broke one.... remember those blister pack singles? I use D'Addarios because they're cheap, plentiful, consistent. I've tried hootsie-tootsie strings and didn't feel the need to go back for seconds.

If I couldn't get D'Addarios I'd use Darcos or something.

Well actually I'd leave the old dead strings on there... like I do anyway.

brown_goya_string_small.jpg

I fully admit to agreeing with Missouri Picker. I bought BD strings at the record store, played them til they rusted, tied them if they busted, and kept the ones I took off coiled up in the case lest I needed spares.

I developed some good habits--wiped down my strings after gigs and played with clean hands.

Yes. Now I use John Pearse and Pyramids. I'm getting above my raising.

Fact is, though, JP and others flat out make better strings. And 12s suit my playing style nicely.

Yep, I'm a string sissy.

I don't think I've ever wiped-down my strings, aside from the times I was caught in the rain. I know that grease and grim accumulate on the strings from our fingers, yada yada yada, but I just play them until they are noticeably going out-of-tune quickly. I'm also of the belief that body sweat and grease protects a guitar's finish from sun and the elements...lol.........In all seriousness in regard to strings, I usually buy what's on sale if it's a name I'm familiar with and especially if I've used them before. I don't use coated strings unless they happen to be the ones that are ultra cheap that day. I won't pay more than 7-8 bucks for a set of strings (if I'm looking for strings, I'm looking for $5 sets)....I was spoiled for years by the old Musicians Friend Clearance/Retail store that used to be a few miles from here.......$2 string sets, 2.50 for 20ft cables, $60 Rogue Guitars,,yada yada yada......Anyway, good topic.

Yeah...along with a lot of other guitar maintenance, I don't wipe strings off either. I think the olive oil that oozes from my pores provides the right ph and moisturization my guitars need. Guess the only hard and fast rules for my delicate old timers are to avoid sudden temp/humidity changes, med-light strings often tuned down a half, and hang 'em high enough on the wall so my g'daughter can't grab the straps and yank one off the wall. Cases? I don't need no stinkin' cases. If she gets hold of one and wrecks it I'll ship her out to the Jolie-Pitt compound and hope for the best.

I'm going to buy a set of Black D's, since I brought up the subject, and try to give a reasonably BS free review. Sorry I can't post audio in my primitive world. How's this guy do?

Y'all can click and find whichever version of the song 'Black Diamond Strings' you like. Heard it on satellite radio and it got me wondering and reminiscing.

Archived